Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca: low-grip surface?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 12:58 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I won't .beat up on Mark- I met him at Laguna Seca and spoke a few times- he was a good guy.
Our experience with both cars is after racing on the East Coast and midwest for many years, we moved everything out West and promptly had to add front end downforce- both diveplanes and suspension adjustments.
Cars pushed not just at LS but Sear's Point as well.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:30 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

IMSA carnage at Laguna Seca had announcers talking low grip in just a few minutes
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ted
IMSA carnage at Laguna Seca had announcers talking low grip in just a few minutes
the carnage always has to be blamed on track conditions by the announcers. tracks dont cause carnage... drivers cause carnage.

Originally Posted by SoClose
I won't .beat up on Mark- I met him at Laguna Seca and spoke a few times- he was a good guy.
Our experience with both cars is after racing on the East Coast and midwest for many years, we moved everything out West and promptly had to add front end downforce- both diveplanes and suspension adjustments.
Cars pushed not just at LS but Sear's Point as well.
Thanks.... and thats the bottomline right now and a good indicator. we are talking about feelings and the layout of the track and turn approaches can give a feel of lack of grip vs grip. the ONLY real way to see if a track has less grip is to see G loadings. if you can reach the same g holding levels, then the grip is the same. its pretty simple. regardless of what it feels like.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Mark I think you are a smart guy and add to the conversation. Others may disagree but I find you entertaining. But every once in a while, like this thread, I feel like you stake out a position that is so far out there that I wonder if you are trolling everyone and just giggling to yourself.
Yes, im giggling a little.. but, I am serious because in racing, like in poliitics, people get too caught up in feelings vs the facts. again there is a reason that Laguna may seem more slick than other tracks and it is its unique layout and configuraiton. unless someone can post comparison g loading graphs that favor other tracks, i would still stand by my experience that laguna has no less or more grip than other tracks.(generally)

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Banked corners are a different challenge all together. You can have a slippery surface, but with enough banking still carry high speeds and have high g's
The hairpin at Chuckwalla definitely has more "grip" due to it's banking than those turns you listed. Personally, I don't think banked corners are a fair test of grip since there are other physics involved; nor are they as much fun in my opinion.
yes, i agree. however, i do think banked turns are fun. I love the compression and the confidence of the increased grip achieved. no problem with grip at turn 2 at Auto Club Speedway....

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
So the Pro drivers this weekend at the IMSA aren't skilled? They commented during their interviews that Laguna is more slick and has less grip than other tracks that they race in the IMSA series.
It sounds like you have been taking this as a personal attack from the beginning of the thread. Your defense of Laguna's reputation goes against the opinion of every racer who has been to multiple tracks.
Low grip isn't a bad thing, it is just an observation and it is an equal handicap for all cars.
There are pro drivers that dont have the skills of others. when drivers are seen skidding off in to the sand traps, and slow lack of control ... yes, they are not as skilled as others. just because someone has an IMSA license, it doesnt mean they are able to drive the car to the limits under varied conditions. ive seen a LOT of bone head maneuvers with many of the drivers in the pro ranks.. the reason that they might say that the track is slick , is that as i have said before, it is Laguna's unique configuration that brings out a tendency to easily get beyond grip limits. I can make any car push, be loose, etc.. but the art is keeping the car under you for the conditions and surface. the only real way to tell is to see G loading for equal style turns on other tracks.

Originally Posted by fleadh
Because I've been to many other tracks that have better grip over many years.

-mike
The grip you feel might be the style shape and configuration of the turns.. im just saying sometimes our feelings or sensations dont match the data. you have a lot. go see if you can find similar turns at similar speeds with higher g loading values. I would bet its going to be closer than you think.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, your first posit is true. But these drivers have a better calibrated *** than even you, and they're counting on grip that isn't there. Hence, the track surface is lower grip than other tracks they go to. Period.

Most tracks have high speed straights and low speed turns. Laguna Seca is lower in top speed than almost all the big East Coast and Midwest tracks, it also has the slowest corner of any of the major tracks including Namerow at Mont Tremblant and Turn 7 at Sebring. It's not that quick a track, top or bottom. Turn 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 are NOT 90 degree turns. Turns 2, 5, 6, 8A, 9 and 10 are well cambered (banked).
Umm, no. While there is good grip, relative to the other turns, at Turns 5, 6 and 10, the cornering g's are NOT higher here than most ANY other turns in racing.
Mark, you need to get out more...
Peter, you are actually making my point and a little off on one of yours. yes, there are tracks with MUCH higher speed straights and even lower speed turn, but lagunas mix of straights that just are not long enough to go as fast as we all want too, makes us all push a little harder. and the slow turns are fast enough to want more , but with just enough cut-back angle on many to cause MOST drivers to over drive them. ESPECIALLY the two slowest turns in racing (turn 11 and turn2) Ill put my calibrated *** against anyone. expecially the ones that are skidding off the track. again, having raced more races at laguna than probably anyone you know, i can safely say ive seen Laguna in many different moods.
now you say that turn 3, 4,(never said 6), 8, 9 and 10 are not 90 degree turns? turn 2 is not well cambered . and yes, the cambered turns of turn 5 and 10 are very high grip and have the highest g loadings of most turns around.. check the data. I dont know what kind of grades YOU got in Geometry, but mine were quite good. the turns i said were 90s are close enough for our discussions. (see map below). COMPARE Sonoma and laguna. what totally different configurations and flows.... im sure , with all your track experience you understand flow of a track and how drivers push in certain areas to create grip issues.

bottom line. Im ONLY saying that most people always tend to blame a track for car or control issues. laguna is unique and because it is not as fast as many other tracks, and drivers want to go fast, they overcook many of the turns. because the turns are NOT cambered and cut back a little with little reference, people over driver and go off track a lot. you dont see this at many other tracks because of the configuration

Sonoma raceway is simlar in speed and grip, but the turns are totally different.

now, if you have peak g loading data for other tracks and their turns that are not on cambered tuns showing higher values, then i would stand corrected. i think that data will be hard to find.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

While debris on the surface is always a possibility, one not limited to WLSR, the “low grip” condition relative to other tracks is not dynamic or variable.

Also, unlike some other well-worn, “seasoned” tracks that start quick in the morning and slow through the day with temperature increases (a degradation which can be logged and counted on, for set up purposes), WLSR is significant in the fact that it starts out slippery and never really improves with rubber down.

The reason why this occurs is because the chemical reaction that occurs between “rubbered in” tracks and “green” tracks that leveraged the grip between the Tire tread and the track surface never seems to occur.

The aggregate and binder chemicals on this track are so smooth and polished, that there’s no transfer of rubber to the asphalt surface to begin building this sticky, grippy interface between the tire and the track.

And heaven forbid the fog rolls in in the evening carrying through the morning. Moisture on top of glass is what some people refer to the feeling they have!

The best attribute of a top-level driver is maximum seat time in a variety of different cars on different tires. With that experience, those drivers come to rely on a particular and relatively narrow window of capable behavior.

The fact that more than a few are miscalculating and edging over WHAT they THINK they SHOULD have in terms of grip, particularly when they “send it,” is indicative of the TRACK being the outlier, not the drivers, cars or tires.

Camber gain is not in the equation, because you can add that to the equation of expected benefit.

A great technical exercise as a driver, for sure!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:03 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

While debris on the surface is always a possibility, one not limited to WLSR, the “low grip” condition relative to other tracks is not dynamic or variable.

Also, unlike some other well-worn, “seasoned” tracks that start quick in the morning and slow through the day with temperature increases (a degradation which can be logged and counted on, for set up purposes), WLSR is significant in the fact that it starts out slippery and never really improves with rubber down.

The reason why this occurs is because the chemical reaction that occurs between “rubbered in” tracks and “green” tracks that leveraged the grip between the Tire tread and the track surface never seems to occur.

The aggregate and binder chemicals on this track are so smooth and polished, that there’s no transfer of rubber to the asphalt surface to begin building this sticky, grippy interface between the tire and the track.

And heaven forbid the fog rolls in in the evening carrying through the morning. Moisture on top of glass is what some people refer to the feeling they have!

The best attribute of a top-level driver is maximum seat time in a variety of different cars on different tires. With that experience, those drivers come to rely on a particular and relatively narrow window of capable behavior.

The fact that more than a few are miscalculating and edging over WHAT they THINK they SHOULD have in terms of grip, particularly when they “send it,” is indicative of the TRACK being the outlier, not the drivers, cars or tires.

Camber gain is not in the equation, because you can add that to the equation of expected benefit.

A great technical exercise as a driver, for sure!
absolutely in many ways, BUT, there was no indication that the grip was not as it is at any other track. Now, did you watch the race? there were more bonehead moves , i thought i was watching a nasa or LEMON's race. horrible car control, timing and car positioning. the race left me near speachless. many of the drivers acted like they had never been here before. again, ive had more races here than anyone you know (more than likely) ive raced in rain, ice, fog, a little of each, 115degree record temps and so on. this race had more fluids than most. oil,stering fluid, coolant, etc was flying everwhere. that could have been part of it, but thats nothing to do with the track. your analysis of the surface might be dated to the old suface (prior to 2008) the sand and dirt is usually not an issue, but it can be if there are a lot of offs.
again, all you need to see is the data. that will tell you if the track is slick or not compared to others. there is SO much grip on the exit of turn 11.. the announcers (not tommy kendall that cant do anything wrong in my mind) said "astroturf" they also said the track was "slick" they are clueless . the green surface is HIGH grip. (its NOT astro turf, though it was a few years ago) i would over bake turn 11 in my last race last month, and when it slide out to the green area, it would hook up like i was on michellin slicks! super high grip area off the rubble strip . i usuall had one set of tires on the green and strattled the exit birm. (red and white ). im just saying. the announcers just say things that they think they know.. then, you have 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and again 11 , all super high grip turns due to banking camber...... more than half the turns of the track are VERY high grip.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911ted
carnage was due strictly to idiotic moves by the drivers, both prototypes and GT cars. unreal..really! all wrecks had NOTHING to do with the track conditions.. these were moves that you would expect to see in a Lemons race. horrible car control as well. crashing half million dollar cars like they they didnt pay for them.........oh, yeah, most of them didnt!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default WRLS

The grip out there this past weekend was low in my opinion. My coach has been racing cars and motorcycles at LS for twenty years and he told me “careful, the track has a low grip surface” when I went out on my first session this past weekend. If Mike Hedlund, Peter, and my coach are saying that LS has a low grip surface, I’m guessing they probably are correct. I certainly felt it had less grip than Buttonwillow had the weekend prior.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
then, you have 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and again 11 , all super high grip turns due to banking camber...... more than half the turns of the track are VERY high grip.
Lateral acceleration measurements aren't the whole story. It requires a 3 axis accelerometer and some math (not difficult math) to normalize the Ay signal to account for the banking. If you do that you can get the mu value of the asphalt. I think what others are trying to say here is that the mu value of the track surface is lower than other tracks. That's what the data I have says. The elevation and camber definitely help increase the lateral acceleration, but for an equivalent surface you'd likely still find that the acceleration numbers could be higher given a better surface.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Lateral acceleration measurements aren't the whole story. It requires a 3 axis accelerometer and some math (not difficult math) to normalize the Ay signal to account for the banking. If you do that you can get the mu value of the asphalt. I think what others are trying to say here is that the mu value of the track surface is lower than other tracks. That's what the data I have says. The elevation and camber definitely help increase the lateral acceleration, but for an equivalent surface you'd likely still find that the acceleration numbers could be higher given a better surface.
Bingo.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Bingo.
Not really... its feeling vs facts here

Originally Posted by 2BWise
That is my point. its "feelings" for the most part, and who cares if thre is banking on several of the turns. when i go, i feel that those turns have great grip... those turns are part of the track, right, so where is the feeling of low grip felt? lets talk about turn 3, 4, and maybe9 or 11. (remember, 11 now has trendous grip as you exit)... so what data do you have on the turns that dont have banking vs other turns that dont as well at other tracks. in the state, in the country, what are you comparing it too?? personally, i dont think the surface has any less grip than Sonoma, buttonwillow, willow springs, thunderhilll, or cal speedway. I just dont see it. infact, there has been more variability due to conditions, than the surface creates. and again, that's with more race days at the track than most.
What does your data say? what data are you looking at? I know this is a silly argumet, but its a racing discussion so its interesting. i hear a lot of people talk about surface conditions to explain why they are running off the pace. thats just it. many times its feelings, many times its an excuse. and sometimes the surface is actually the issue. but to say lagunas surface has less grip overall vs other tracks is a claim that generally has little basis based on shear number of variables. again with most of th turns having more banking than other tracks, wouldn't that show data of higher lateral accelerations? we are talking more than half the track here. then, couple that with the seemingly, and comparitively awkeward turn approaches , which provide challenges for drivers to put the car in the right balance position. this can cause the car to be unsettled , ONLY because of the errors in overdriving those turns in speed, position and timing. IF you are ignoring those factors, i feel you might be ignoring major components of what a track "feels " like.
example.. personally, i think sonoma has terrible grip.. but I know thats ONLY because my car and tire set up vs my competiors is not as ideal (set up, weight, tire quality, etc) which is less of a factor at Laguna (for me)
cars need to be set up for particular tracks and Laguna is no different than other tracks in that regard. Poor set up can feel like the track has less grip than others if not set up optimally, even if the surface is the same quality. do you not agree?
Mk

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
The grip out there this past weekend was low in my opinion. My coach has been racing cars and motorcycles at LS for twenty years and he told me “careful, the track has a low grip surface” when I went out on my first session this past weekend. If Mike Hedlund, Peter, and my coach are saying that LS has a low grip surface, I’m guessing they probably are correct. I certainly felt it had less grip than Buttonwillow had the weekend prior.
what kind of lap times were you running at laguna vs buttonwillow (config ?) its the job of the coach to make you aware of the tracks characteristics. yes, the track can ack like it has less grip, when actually it might not be the case. again, the reasn you have to be careful at laguna is not so much the grip levels, but the position the car gets in before turns, that comprimises grip. the net message is the same, the cause is the only difference. the only way to know is with data and feel. Im have certain things i key on , like throttle position, power level and stering input which most people dont pay attention too. iI know i have grip ,when i can be at near redline, 3rd gear, 110mph, and have a known level of steering input at WOT....... so tracks , or particular days or tires, will give me massive movement, and others, complete confidence. this is the type of feelings im set up to use and coach with as well. Others might just report how the car is dancing around , and that can be purely dependent on many other factors.. i try and rule out those factors. another example is a straight liine, redline shift. do i get wheel spin or not? these kinds of things can show you the grip you have available. usually, its due to other factors OTHER than the track surface
Old 09-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

20 pages
Old 09-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Exhausting.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
20 pages
Old 09-12-2018, 06:57 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

amateur corner
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Mark thinks that we are somehow beating up on his favorite track by saying the surface is "low grip". I, by the way, concur that it is low grip. The first time a I rode there on a 1000cc super bike with 16.5 slicks taught me that. I had to be way more careful with throttle when leaned over compared to Thunderhill and Sears Point. But hey, we must all be wrong, right?

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca: low-grip surface?