Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca: low-grip surface?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:21 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Laguna Seca: low-grip surface?

Why is Laguna Seca considered a low-grip surface? I was listened again to the super excellent "virtual track walk" done by Peter Kraus and Ross Bentley. They seemed to say that it had a low grip surface due to dust blowing on the track. When I've driven the track, I don't see any dust/dirt on the surface. Is there another explanation? Is it really a low-grip track? Is it just a matter of there being a lot of slow corners, and also how those corners are cambered?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

If you walk the track especially after it has been used, you'll see and feel the dust and sand
Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Ross and I compare the relative grip (to other North American tracks) at the outset of our Virtual Track Walks because the reduced mu (friction) OF THE TRACK SURFACE can explain the difference and alter strategies to counter the loss.

While sand and other debris certainly can affect any track with that type of soil adjacent to the asphalt, that’s not why Ross and I highlighted this phenomena here at Laguna Seca, it was because it’s a relatively slippery, polished asphalt surface with a specific aggregate and “mix” of asphalt and binder (tar/oils and other chemicals holding the stone together) that results in low grip, again relative to some other North American tracks. Some of this is due to “wear.” Tracks do age...

Turn 3, Turn 4 and Turn 11 are the easiest corners to feel this, in just about any car.

Of course, the camber gain at T5, T6 or, most notably, Turn 10 are fantastic!

Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2018, 01:27 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:26 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Why is Laguna Seca considered a low-grip surface? ... When I've driven the track, I don't see any dust/dirt on the surface. Is there another explanation? Is it really a low-grip track? Is it just a matter of there being a lot of slow corners, and also how those corners are cambered?
If you've driven the track and can't tell there is very little grip in turn 4, then you aren't going fast enough. The whole track is relatively low grip, but 4 is REALLY slippery.

Palm Beach International Raceway is even more slippery than Laguna Seca; almost makes Laguna feel grippy.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Mid-Ohio in the wet takes the cake...
Old 07-03-2018, 12:09 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's greasy when dry and downright scary when wet!
Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I thought it was just me...
Old 07-03-2018, 03:06 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

laguna is not a low grip surface. it can be if someone takes the dirt route down the corkscrew and makes a mess out of the exit.... but, generally, it has a lot of grip. in fact, with many of the turns with banking, you get an unusual amount of grip on those turns. ive raced it for 20 years in all conditions, except snow. it was a lot less grip before they repaved it around 2008
Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen and driven LS and I can tell you that assumption is mistaken. An F1 Ferrari would not have torn up the lap record if it was low grip. It is a technical track not like a NECKCAR OVAL. I started doing things at LS in 1980, granted it was a ride with the Ferrari guys but one guy was a CHP Officer who had a Dino, he had lots of experience driving on low grip surfaces and when you drove with him it was like being glued to the track. I never have felt I was on marbles. If it was low grip they would not race priceless cars on the track. I would not have trund laps if it was slick.. I expect the experience on the track does help. And somebody not as experienced than let’s say Mark Kibort might not be the right guy to walk the track with. I would listen to Canepa before Bentley.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Compared to other tracks, at least in California, Laguna Seca DOES indeed have a lower grip surface. This was true when I road and raced motorcycles there and when I race cars there, like I did last weekend.

Let's not confuse "low grip" with "slippery". That's not what people are saying. Relatively speaking, it IS a low grip surface.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Compared to other tracks, at least in California, Laguna Seca DOES indeed have a lower grip surface. This was true when I road and raced motorcycles there and when I race cars there, like I did last weekend.

Let's not confuse "low grip" with "slippery". That's not what people are saying. Relatively speaking, it IS a low grip surface.
And that's how i took what was said...." sand and dirt, making it a low grip surface" they improved it in 2007ish with new pavement. but, there is sand or dirt that hits every track in California.. i dont see that as being any factor of its overall grip. we have had over 60 cars in a group at times racing. sometimes there is a patch of sand/dirt, and a lap later , its gone.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

I think the operative word is “RELATIVE” to other tracks in North America. It’s not slippery but has lower grip relative to other major tracks in N.A.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Akunob
I think the operative word is “RELATIVE” to other tracks in North America. It’s not slippery but has lower grip relative to other major tracks in N.A.
I dont see it, nor to many others i speak with about the track. . Again, having raced there , more than probably most anyone over the past 20 years, and having run most all the tracks in the west, i see no more lack of grip or level of grip than any other track ive visited. im sure any kind of data from any same car, and set up would see the same. personally, i think tracks like sears (sonoma) can be more variable, based on what we see there and caused by the type of cars that visit the track in different series. (nascar, Indy, PWC, etc) .
of the 11 turns of Laguna seca, the turn profile could cause some to feel there is a lack of grip. turn 2 is a fairly tight, fast hairpin off of a very fast straight , with a downhill entrance. turn 3-4 can feel slippery due to the lack of any camber ... however , most pros and frequenters of Laguna would say, turn 5 ,6 9 and 10 tend to be cambered turns that give tremendous grip compared to most turns on other tracks.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Akunob
Correct.

The OP’s incorrect assumption and Mark’s comments notwithstanding, in Ross’ and my experience, as well as most other top racing engineers, WRLS has lower relative grip (mu) than many other tracks in North America.

While sand and orher debris are no doubt more of a factor here than say, Mid-Ohio or COTA (other tracks that exhibit lower mu than many others), that has nothing to do with our calculations and resultant data and experience, relative to some other tracks in North America.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca: low-grip surface?