Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Video...

Originally Posted by seanseidman
sounds pretty hairy
can you provide us a link to the video?
I wish we had on board video back in '75. BMW did a short documentary on motorsport in the USA and they talk about Sebring, but they don't mention 2nd place. I did race the 12hr one other time in '77 and won it overall, but don't have many photos and no video.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Cup Cars running with SPB and 944s that must be interesting
Rich
welcome to most wheel to wheel racing!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=AutoQuest Motorsports;15024149]My scariest racing moment took place in a 125cc shifter kart, in which I raced competitively for six years. There are three main races in shifter karts...road course, sprint, and street. Although I've had many sketchy moments in road and sprint racing, the worst was in a street race in Illinois called the Rock Island Grand Prix. They shut the town down, and we raced in the streets at speeds in excess of 100mph if memory serves me right. I was in 4th place with a few laps left and closing on 3rd, and I would always get a good run on him on the straight in the draft and I aimed to take him on the inside of T1. Well, someone had nicked the barriers coming onto the straight the previous lap, and following my normal line I touched that barrier enough to break the bottom of my steering shaft. This put me through a set of barriers directly to my face. Apart from a broken helmet, being dazed, and a gash to my left shin I walked away no worse for wear. And guess what....I got it on gopro. Enjoy haha.

THAT is a big off! Glad you're ok!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:20 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

2011 at Road Atlanta. PCA Club Race enduro. Track was drying but was still slippery. Lost it when i touched the brakes. Was scary as it is, but as you can see, could have been way worse.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:27 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Originally Posted by FredC
https://vimeo.com/67030633

2011 at Road Atlanta. Track was drying but was still slippery. Lost it when i touched the brakes. Was scary as it is, but as you can see, could have been way worse.
What happened, why such a loss of control? ( I realize it was wet!)
Old 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

I want the video from the green car.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:57 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I want the video from the green car.
Yeah, what he said. To the green guy the white P-car came out of no where. Fortunately for him the moment came and went very quickly.

With respect to the earlier post about driving to/from the track, I'd say the quantity of crimp moments is greater, but their magnitude is far less than a big oh-crap on the track.

Then there is the one that starts as some innocuous irritations, then a mechanical induced excursion (wrong diff fluid) aggravated by poor right foot input, then sliding along two feet in you recall that wall back there. Manged to tap it and by a freaking miracle didn't damage the car:

-Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

This thread is great. Makes me feel better about spending $$$ on track insurance even though I've never had an incident in DE (did while racing, but in a much cheaper car). Knock on the most luck-inducing wood...
Old 05-21-2018, 04:18 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
This thread is great. Makes me feel better about spending $$$ on track insurance even though I've never had an incident in DE (did while racing, but in a much cheaper car). Knock on the most luck-inducing wood...
Reminds me of a quote a decade ago from a Canadian pro driver (Robyn Buck), who was coaching me from the right seat as I spun on track. After my apology, he said, "No problem, I've spun more than you've lapped!"
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

What happened, why such a loss of control? ( I realize it was wet!)
Fluid leak.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:32 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Originally Posted by FredC
Fluid leak.
That makes sense
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not scary but a couple close calls and lots of sideways action at this weekends AER race.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Reminds me of a quote a decade ago from a Canadian pro driver (Robyn Buck), who was coaching me from the right seat as I spun on track. After my apology, he said, "No problem, I've spun more than you've lapped!"
For sure! My first and only money shift was with Leh Keen in the passenger seat of my NASA GTS2 E36 M3 at VIR in about 2011. His response was "hey it happens -- at least it wasn't a $60k engine." Got another $2k used S52 and went on my way...
Old 05-21-2018, 06:04 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
My scariest racing moment took place in a 125cc shifter kart, in which I raced competitively for six years. There are three main races in shifter karts...road course, sprint, and street. Although I've had many sketchy moments in road and sprint racing, the worst was in a street race in Illinois called the Rock Island Grand Prix. They shut the town down, and we raced in the streets at speeds in excess of 100mph if memory serves me right. I was in 4th place with a few laps left and closing on 3rd, and I would always get a good run on him on the straight in the draft and I aimed to take him on the inside of T1. Well, someone had nicked the barriers coming onto the straight the previous lap, and following my normal line I touched that barrier enough to break the bottom of my steering shaft. This put me through a set of barriers directly to my face. Apart from a broken helmet, being dazed, and a gash to my left shin I walked away no worse for wear. And guess what....I got it on gopro. Enjoy haha.
THAT is a big off! Glad you're ok!
Thank Sean, you and me both. I thought it was the end when I realized my steering inputs were doing nothing haha
Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 PM
seanseidman
Pro

[QUOTE=josserman;15025029]
Not scary but a couple close calls and lots of sideways action at this weekends AER race.

The fogging windshield made tough conditions nearly impossible!
Have you tried rubbing shaving foam on windshield?

Quick Reply: Scariest Racing Moment