Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving pointers for Summit Point and Trail Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Brandon, that got caught on spell check when I went through it , but apparently did not transfer when I hit "submit reply". This has happened before (you will find numerous errors in some of my posts). Usually I am fairly busy at work and type quickly and rely on spell check, which I am having problems w/ at Rennlist for some reason. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which means I am doing something wrong (I think I have been hitting close on the dialog box instead of ok, now that I look at it).......although I take complete responsibility for typing "heel/tow" Doh!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:59 PM
DAR951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jasonvp
Yep. I simplify the description as: taking turn 3 as two turns. First turn is right after the pit (bump) in the road. The second is just prior to the apex, where you're forced to tighten your steering angle up a little more.

jas
Not sure what you mean by the "two turns" part, except that you may have misunderstood what your instructor was going for... Basically the "trick" a bunch of us teach is to use the up-side of the "dip" you mentioned, to weight the front of your car at turn-in...

The first half of the "trick", to get you to that turn-in point, is to take the 2-3 straight with the left side of the car aligned with the center stripe (don't hug the right edge of the track like many guys do)... as the pavement starts to curve left, stay on the straight line extablished by driving down the stripe... that line should deliver the right side of the car to the right edge of the tract just before/at the dip... time to turn.

If that's not clear, just ask one of the FATT instructors about how to line up for 3... that's the approach most (at least he fast ones) will usualy suggest you try.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:44 PM
jasonvp
Track Day

Originally posted by DAR951
Not sure what you mean by the "two turns" part, except that you may have misunderstood what your instructor was going for... Basically the "trick" a bunch of us teach is to use the up-side of the "dip" you mentioned, to weight the front of your car at turn-in...
Yep, and if you turn right at that point, it's a few yards shy of the marked turn-in spot and you end up early apexing the corner. It requires more steering input at the apex in order to prevent yourself from tracking out into the gravel on the outside of 3. :-)

That's what I meant by "2 turns." Perhaps a bad description.

If that's not clear, just ask one of the FATT instructors about how to line up for 3... that's the approach most (at least he fast ones) will usualy suggest you try.
No offense to the FATT instructors, but I've kinda given up on most of them. There are only one or two that I'll let ride with me. When I first showed up with my '96 Vette back in '97, all I received was attitude from the entire crew, "You shouldn't be here, learning to drive on a track with that fast car!" No one wanted to take the time to teach me except one or two (Henry and later Arian, the owner of Car Guys) Now when I see an instructor on the course, I go by him. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion though!

jas
Old 01-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Dennis Kline
Cruisin'

"This is Bill Scott talking about turn 5 at SP, page 54, Sportscar (date/issue unkown); ... if you're a trailbraking advocate, this is the only corner where it might make sense."

John Brown:

Just for grins (and I'm sure that this is not news..), Bill Scott is the owner of Summit Point Racetrack. He was (and probably still could be) a top notch National Formula Vee competitor in the 60's and 70's.
As a SCCA competitor and instructor at Summit Point from 1971 to 1980, we always stressed the importance of maintaining the highest average speed around the track, which may mean that last minute shifting close to the curve may actually lead to slower lap times.
However, you gotta try all the possibilities.

Quick Reply: Driving pointers for Summit Point and Trail Braking