Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recomended track day monitering system for Iphone

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018 | 02:02 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Default Recomended track day monitering system for Iphone

I'm hoping someone here can help. ive used the Harry's lap timer and RaceTrace, and both have worked find at my local tracks Laguna, sears , and thunderhill, but when i went to Autoclubspeedway, i couldnt get either one to work. it almost seemed like it was something in the location services side of the software.

All i want is to show up at a track, push a button and have it register fastest lap time and maybe top speed (in the case of cal speedway) is that too much to ask!
I was at Auto Club speedway and really wanted to check out the top speeds...and 4-5 sessions later, nothing worked.
So, if you have a good software program that runs on an Apple Iphone6, let me in on it!

thanks,
Mk
Old 04-15-2018 | 06:47 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Get an external GPS with your iphone if you want any sort of accuracy for speeds.
Old 04-15-2018 | 01:39 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Try track addict by hp tuners.
Old 04-15-2018 | 02:26 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Just take the next step and pick up an Aim Solo, the used ones are flooding the market with the Solo 2 coming out.
Old 04-15-2018 | 02:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Just take the next step and pick up an Aim Solo, the used ones are flooding the market with the Solo 2 coming out.
They are? I haven’t seen that. No compelling reason to upgrade unless you use the lights...

But the new one and the old one is so much better than any app... As is the VBOX Sport.
Old 04-15-2018 | 03:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've got 2 used Solo units for great deals. Email me at matt@trailbrake.net
Old 04-15-2018 | 05:51 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

They are? I haven’t seen that. No compelling reason to upgrade unless you use the lights...

But the new one and the old one is so much better than any app... As is the VBOX Sport.
There have a been bursts of 2-4 of them showing up at a time on rennlist for good deals. A few of my friends have picked them up and some have dropped them to upgrade. I agree there isn't a good reason to move from an original Solo/DL to the 2. They are worth every penny and I highly suggest anyone using a phone app to upgrade to an actual laptimer.
Old 04-15-2018 | 07:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've got 2 used Solo units for great deals. Email me at matt@trailbrake.net
can you give me an idea of what they are and how much they cost. im a dinosaur as far as incar data, besides the speedo, tach and video from a camera!

However, it was pretty cool to find out when i was instructing in a spec mustang once, to see if the car had any issues the racer was claiming, it had automatically recorded my session. very cool. AIM, comes to mind.
Old 04-15-2018 | 07:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Get an external GPS with your iphone if you want any sort of accuracy for speeds.
that sounds interesting, so what do i need to buy and how does it integrate, and what app does it use?

Originally Posted by awrryan
thanks... ill look into it. basically, i just want something i can pull up, turn on , and put in my pocket. doesnt need to be super accurate, just grab lap times and top speeds.
Old 04-15-2018 | 07:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
that sounds interesting, so what do i need to buy and how does it integrate, and what app does it use?

thanks... ill look into it. basically, i just want something i can pull up, turn on , and put in my pocket. doesnt need to be super accurate, just grab lap times and top speeds.
AIM Solo will be more reliable, more accurate, and no more effort.
Old 04-15-2018 | 07:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan
i just bought the PRO version. can you give me any tips, or caveats?

thanks!

Mark
Old 04-15-2018 | 09:03 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Delete. Answered my question. Like Harry’s it records accelerator but not brake pedal. Must be a 991 limitation through OBDII.

Last edited by CDinSing; 04-15-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2018 | 03:56 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

thanks!

Mark
I use Track Addict, with an separate GPS (Dual XPS-150) and a separate OBD reader (GoPoint) and a GoPro camera (Hero 4 Silver). I then stitch the files together (separate data file and video file) with Race Render. When it all works it's great, but it doesn't always work, and you can't easily check the data in detail in real time. I can view lap times and see some data right after I finish a session, but it won't be integrated with the video until I get home.

The GPS and OBD devices talk to my iPhone through Bluetooth while the GoPro sets up a wifi network that the iPhone connects to. The phone then collects GPS and OBD data, adds it's own accelerometer data, and synchronizes the start of the GoPro video. Lately I have had to completely reset my iPhone after each session - running v4 of Track Addict, probably fixed by now, Wes is pretty responsive.

While this is a pretty good budget solution it is a budget solution. I'm looking to step up to a Vbox in the near future. The biggest problem with this Frankenstein rig is that it doesn't always work. I had 9 sessions in 2 days at VIR last week, two had bad video and one had bad data, so that's 3 sessions that didn't get a good review. Hopefully I didn't miss any learning cues in there.
Old 04-17-2018 | 11:44 PM
malibuboy
Rennlist Member

I use track addict and love it. I use it with my iPhone X and my Bad Elf GPS lightning adapter. My 720p videos rock and it will do 1080p as well.

I used Harry’s last year but found track addict to be way simpler.
Old 04-18-2018 | 12:19 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

thanks!

Mark
not really. Sorry. I just start the recording and let it record. I don’t dwell too deep into it. I just use it to video my laps and check times for self-improvement. I do connect a gopoint obd II reader to it.

Quick Reply: Recomended track day monitering system for Iphone