Sponsored by:

New COTA surface

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
No exaggeration, it was so bad I chose not to drive on Saturday due to grit, it is a lot worse than dust. It did significant damage to a number of cars.
hate to hear that! how is the car after Sunday?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:02 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

No exaggeration, it was so bad I chose not to drive on Saturday due to grit, it is a lot worse than dust. It did significant damage to a number of cars.
They ground the entire track this time, previously it was just in certain spots.
Were people made aware of this prior to the event? And given the option to cancel with no penalty.

In a way this reminds me of Heartland Park which had the track fall apart which resulted in people not coming back until the track was repaved, fixed.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

They ground the entire track this time, previously it was just in certain spots.
that should be quite interesting when it rains.

i was told the top layer was porous and absorbed the rain and therefore retained a significant level of grip.
however the previous ground spots weren’t porous and had much less grip

mike
Old 04-25-2018, 10:53 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life

that should be quite interesting when it rains.

i was told the top layer was porous and absorbed the rain and therefore retained a significant level of grip.
however the previous ground spots weren’t porous and had much less grip

mike
That actually makes sense to me. The very first time I drove COTA in the spring after they opened it was in the pouring rain it had a very high level of grip for the conditions. At the time I attributed to the smoothness and good run off, but maybe there was more to it.

All this grinding is sad and ironic - I recall all the warnings from the first event there about not damaging the high quality racing surface that was valued at some astronomical number per square foot.

-Mike
Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 AM
John Milne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to believe that the track management would not address this problem. I would not take my car to COTA with the current track condition and it is far from concourse condition. Can't imagine riding a motorcycle with all the grit.

Seems like a good sweeping would help a lot.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Were people made aware of this prior to the event? And given the option to cancel with no penalty.

In a way this reminds me of Heartland Park which had the track fall apart which resulted in people not coming back until the track was repaved, fixed.

Car was brand new with break in miles only prior. Above was the result from Saturday. I tapped up all the exposed parts on Sunday. Headlights and windshield received similar damages.

We only learned about the conditions from COTA staff on the Saturday morning during drivers meeting. I guess COTA didnt tell the organizer early enough either.

But at least I had great fun and met some great folks. This car lives for the track. It's gonna happen sooner or later
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wind911

Car was brand new with break in miles only prior. Above was the result from Saturday. I tapped up all the exposed parts on Sunday. Headlights and windshield received similar damages.

We only learned about the conditions from COTA staff on the Saturday morning during drivers meeting. I guess COTA didnt tell the organizer early enough either.

But at least I had great fun and met some great folks. This car lives for the track. It's gonna happen sooner or later
Ouch,

I agree that some damage is inevitable. That why I have my front and other sections wrapped.

I was there at the very first PCA COTA event and we all thought that management was a little uppity with rules and regulations. This IMHO doesn't change my impression. I know how hard the regions work to make this a success. They should be treated better instead of feeling like management is doing them a favor by letting them use their track, facility.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Friend's car that was there.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:14 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Those pictures remind me of what cars used to look like driving on Heartland Park prior to its repaving.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

For this, they still charge $55,000 per day
Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is fine, but i made sure i didn't follow anyone on the back straight....
Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
....they are trying to succeed in a challenging business. We have already lost TWS and I would hate to lose COTA as well.

I think they should have brought out vacuum trucks and been sucking up all the grid as they were doing the grinding, blowing it around with jet blowers only moves the stuff around.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
are they still on their first set of owner? When does their contract with F1 expire?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Those pictures remind me of what cars used to look like driving on Heartland Park prior to its repaving.
When the local PCA stopped using HPT there were reports that multiple windshields had been damaged that weekend also.

The new track surface really is fantastic though. Hope it came through the winter alright; guess I’ll find out this next weekend.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

....they are trying to succeed in a challenging business. We have already lost TWS and I would hate to lose COTA as well.

That's a great sentiment and all. However, it's very unwise and shows zero business sense to charge $55,000 a day for a gravel pit that destroys your customers' cars.

They should know better.

Quick Reply: New COTA surface