Sponsored by:

New COTA surface

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts
Default New COTA surface

COTA has ground down the track surface to remove the bumps. It's definitely smooth - for example, the bump on the entry to T18 is no longer a place to catch air. Track is covered in gravel and sand. I can't tell if it was the gravel/sand or the texture of the ground-down surface, but it wreaked havoc on my tires. I wonder how Moto GP is going to turn out tire-wise.

Tires had about 8 heat cycles on them. I've run this setup at cota for years without drama. Car probably has a bit too much toe in the rear, but this is a unique wear pattern (both inside and out edges).

Old 04-08-2018, 12:25 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow. That is severe.

How was grip grip from all the dirt from the RX course?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
COTA has ground down the track surface to remove the bumps. It's definitely smooth - for example, the bump on the entry to T18 is no longer a place to catch air. Track is covered in gravel and sand. I can't tell if it was the gravel/sand or the texture of the ground-down surface, but it wreaked havoc on my tires. I wonder how Moto GP is going to turn out tire-wise.

Tires had about 8 heat cycles on them. I've run this setup at cota for years without drama. Car probably has a bit too much toe in the rear, but this is a unique wear pattern (both inside and out edges).

Did they grind down the bumps at the end of the front straight ?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Wow. That is severe.

How was grip grip from all the dirt from the RX course?
there was zero dirt. Also for the other question, t1 braking was much better. T11 braking was oddly worse though.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:39 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

How did your paint survive? I saw pictures of one cat that’s front bumper was sandblasted pretty badly.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I have a film on the paint, but there is visible wear on the headlights. Sunday was better. A cota manager said they still had polishing/fine grinding to do before Moto go when I showed him the tire pics.

Reduction of the amplitude of the bumps made some things faster, like 18 - but the debris made the braking zones a little slippery, I could see in the data a loss in negative g’s.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Anyone heard reports on the track surface in advance of tomorrow's start of MotoGP??

Last edited by okie981; 04-20-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the complaints have started. It's interesting that they are blaming it on F1 cars - I find it hard to believe.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

It's simple Shake, you finally got up the nerve to drive COTA flat out :-).

-Mike
Old 04-21-2018, 09:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Sounds like the complaints have started. It's interesting that they are blaming it on F1 cars - I find it hard to believe.
It's not F1 cars.
It's that COTA was built on probably the worst possible soil combination in the metro area (only because Bobby Epstein already owned the land) in the middle of the worst drought in our modern history. Followed by some of the worst flooding.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

A few of the bike guys have insisted it be repaved.

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/new...tin-track-work
Old 04-21-2018, 12:58 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Theres quite a few bumps into 1.
Two has a bump near the apex.
5-6 has had a bump for years (but I liked it as a timing mark for turn in of 6)
I didn't notice the turn 10 bump.
Between 11-12, I got pushed to the left and thought I was going airborne at the PCA races in March. There were multiple bumps, and had almost like a wash board effect.
I hit my helmet several times.
Didn't notice 18 this year, but before grinding -- this was bad.

This was in a relatively compliant Spec Boxster.

Mike
Old 04-21-2018, 01:07 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It's not F1 cars.
It's that COTA was built on probably the worst possible soil combination in the metro area (only because Bobby Epstein already owned the land) in the middle of the worst drought in our modern history. Followed by some of the worst flooding.

Harris Hill Raceway maybe 25 miles from COTA is the prime example of this.

When they built COTA -- they dug out the track and attempted to address this with ~15' of special fill.
Clearly it didn't matter.

The soil, especially on the east side of town is a sandy loam -- and develops the equivalent of a frost heave from the expansion and contraction due to moisture.

Austin might see 6 months of practically no rain -- then 15"-24"+ in a matter of hours. And for the most part -- this can happen anytime of the year,
so the temperatures when this happens might fluctuate 40-50 degrees for highs before/during/after, both ways. It's not unusual to go ~70-80, below freezing for a high, and return to 70 or 80 in the winter. And in the spring -- 90+, 40's, back in the 90's. Summer maybe not as drastic -- but 100+, 75, 100+.

That's got to be brutal on the track surface.

If you drive the roads around COTA -- especially the entry boulevard -- you gain an appreciation for how good a job they have done on the track surface -- but
its still not good enough.

Mike
Old 04-21-2018, 02:18 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
When they built COTA -- they dug out the track and attempted to address this with ~15' of special fill.
Clearly it didn't matter.
True, they went to extreme and expensive measures to attempt to provide the track a solid base. There are roads all over the DFW metro area where 6 inch concrete with substantial fill underneath for a base ends up being a roller coaster after about 10 years of average size cars (no semis) driving over them. Lot of clay soils and variations of clay in North Tejas. Don't know much about Austin area, but it obviously has some problems.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
A few of the bike guys have insisted it be repaved.

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/new...tin-track-work
I have never driven the track but if Rossi is complaining I would tend to think it would be bad. These guys ride at the best tracks in the world. I did some motorcycle track days, I couldn't imagine being on the rocket they ride and hitting some bumps.

Quick Reply: New COTA surface