Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New COTA surface

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 130 Posts

"Petrucci's team-mate Jack Miller said his Ducati's windscreen was broken by rocks and dust flying up from the track surface, ..."

Sounds like they have ground down the track some more since the Chin event earlier this month.

My car's non-wrapped parts (windshield, headlights, mesh grill, etc) had what looks like one year worth of track event wear over that single weekend.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

I watched the MotoGP practice and qualifying today -- it's bad, the bikes are all over the place with major compression going around corners and braking zones. As they're coming down the back straight, there's dust coming up along the sides of the bikes kind of like the track was wet and spray is being displaced... keep in mind, they all ran yesterday and the dust is still on track! Lap times are about 1.5 second off this year even with faster bikes/better rubber.

Short of putting a new layer of asphalt on the surface, what else can be done before the F1 race?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:36 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

why not just use the turbine blower they have to clean it off?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

They ran the blower pretty much non stop for the chin event. The problem is that it just moves it off the track, only to come back on with wind. They need to vacuum the damn thing. How much can a big vacuum cost....
Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

What we really need is a big rain. But we are back in severe drought again, so......
Old 04-22-2018, 11:14 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
What we really need is a big rain. But we are back in severe drought again, so......
I don't recall all the dust problems when the place was new (first couple of years) - is that just because it was new and the dust has now settled in? Or did they do something else in the mean time?

I understand the bumps and I really hope the path of Harris Hill Road is not in COTA's future as to call that place bumpy is an understatement. In retrospect, MSRH is relatively smooth. It hasn't been paved in quite a while and I highly doubt it has been ground. I guess the soil around Houston is better than Austin - something I wouldn't have thought given Houston's clay gumbo.

The access road to COTA is *very* much like Harris Hill Road.

-Mike
Old 04-22-2018, 01:49 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I drove COTA for the first time at PCA club race this year. Those two bumps on the front straight in the braking zone are astonishing. The car is launched with brakes on and there is wheel spin on the down shifts!! I ended up braking after the last bump. Honestly, I cant imagine the F1 cars doing well there!!
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
They ran the blower pretty much non stop for the chin event. The problem is that it just moves it off the track, only to come back on with wind. They need to vacuum the damn thing. How much can a big vacuum cost....
Big street sweepers, the kind that spray water, scrub, then suck up the muck. Would take a long time even with 3 of them running side-by-side and frequent stops to dump out all the muck sucked up.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I don't recall all the dust problems when the place was new (first couple of years) - is that just because it was new and the dust has now settled in? Or did they do something else in the mean time?
-Mike
It's all the residue from the grinding process...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Correct.

Mike, there was no dust or gravel until they were forced to grind the track due to heaving.

This is I believe the fourth grinding they have done .
Old 04-22-2018, 06:53 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought you all were slightly exaggerating until I saw in car photos and videos....looks like west texas during our beautiful dust storms.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:53 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

During the recent Chin track weekend, this problem was much worse than "dust". This was the first group on track after the grinding. According to COTA, they ground 1" of concrete off some of the bump surfaces. That is a hell of a lot of grit, way more than jet blowers can handle. It was very damaging to everybody's cars. Some of the grit was 1mm particle pebbles, not just dust. Dust and tiny pebbles are in every crevice of my car from just 2 days on track.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Front of my car took a beating with Chin that weekend. It was already rough, but noticeably worse now. Drove a garage mate's Atom, I think I still have grit in my teeth...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I thought you all were slightly exaggerating until I saw in car photos and videos....looks like west texas during our beautiful dust storms.
No exaggeration, it was so bad I chose not to drive on Saturday due to grit, it is a lot worse than dust. It did significant damage to a number of cars.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

They ground the entire track this time, previously it was just in certain spots.

Quick Reply: New COTA surface