Sponsored by:

Race pads, when do you change them out

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 02:21 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Race pads, when do you change them out

At what minimum thickness do you change out your front pads?

Thanks,
Old 04-07-2018, 02:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I pulll them at 4-5 mm
Old 04-07-2018, 03:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
At what minimum thickness do you change out your front pads?

Thanks,
When they are equal to the thickness of the backing plate.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-07-2018, 03:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Most event forms require a minimum of 50% pad thickness to start an event.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Most event forms require a minimum of 50% pad thickness to start an event.
Typical new thickness of the front pad friction material for a Seventies 911 is .595", a Boxster is .610"

So, a little more than a quarter inch is 50% wear, so about .300" thickness, or about 7-7.5mm, which is the thickness of the typical backing plate.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

After 50-70% my pedal travel told me it was time to change them. I like the nice high brake pedal new pads and fresh fluid gives..
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Typical new thickness of the front pad friction material for a Seventies 911 is .595", a Boxster is .610"

So, a little more than a quarter inch is 50% wear, so about .300" thickness, or about 7-7.5mm, which is the thickness of the typical backing plate.
I just changed PFC11s on my car and the backing plate is 5mm with pad material being 12mm F and 13mm R. The total thickness is reflected in the PFC PN as 17 and 18.

IAW with Clark's reference chart your numbers come in approximately 3/16" thicker overall.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

If after an event they measure 50%, I leave them in for another event.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

IME it depends on the pads...PFC pads I can run down to fairly thin limits and they do just fine...Hawk and Pagid got cruddy at 50%
Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I think it depends on the brake system. Every system has a weakest link. Full pad is better like new tires but how low can you go? Around 2010 in scca T1 a c5 vette racer was airlifted out at Runoffs from an exploding rotor with brake failure. We complained earlier and often for an aftermarket brake allowance for safety. We got it after someone got hurt. Stoptech knew our problem and designed and tested their SCCA T1 brake kit on my c5 vette racecar. It is so over engineered that I can and have raced my pads down to a millimeter of the pad backing with no percievable loss of braking ability while rotors last at least 1 1/2 years. And I don't bed in pads or cryo rotors nor season them.

so you have to track your system and log some data or you will probably spend more on consumables
Old 04-07-2018, 10:24 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
After 50-70% my pedal travel told me it was time to change them. I like the nice high brake pedal new pads and fresh fluid gives..
Your brake system is hydraulic and pedal height and firmness stay the same regardless of the wear on the pads.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
Your brake system is hydraulic and pedal height and firmness stay the same regardless of the wear on the pads.
System compliance and caliper stiffness change in practice.

Brake performance at the top level is a very deep rabbit hole. Things like caliper stiffness, age fatigue (hardness changing), seal performance, seal material, seal aging, assembly oil, all make big differences. Then in the pads themselves, some compounds oxidize over time after they are heated, so their performance changes with just time (not use). Some are very stable in regards to oxidation, but can have other problems. Depending on the brake pad material, pads have different thermal conductivity. This thermal conductivity changes how much heat gets to the caliper and then you start the whole seal, stiffness, flex problems. You also have different alloys in calipers where some deal with high temps better than others.

When you don't have control over most of those items, like in a street car, look at the overall wear rate for the track your going to decide from there.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Well thank you for the intelligent insight but you are wrong. Thanks for the comment, but maybe don't comment when someone speaks from fact until you have a clue...
Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Well thank you for the intelligent insight but you are wrong. Thanks for the comment, but maybe don't comment when someone speaks from fact until you have a clue...

Your original comment stated :

Surely there are other variables, but you did not specify as such. I'm merely commenting on your post which might seem highly intelligent to you, but not to other readers having to guess where you are coming from.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:18 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

pedal travel has little to do with brake pad wear at levels of 50 to 70% the travel has to do with how much fluid push it takes the pads to contact and create friction on the discs. this doesnt change with pad wear by design. however, if you do observe a correlation, it could be due to air in the system as the pads have worn to those levels (50-70%)

Originally Posted by bgiere
IME it depends on the pads...PFC pads I can run down to fairly thin limits and they do just fine...Hawk and Pagid got cruddy at 50%
this is true. PFC seem to handle extreme temps very well. pagid oranges were the worst. i remember pulling off 5mm pads to have pieces of the pads fall out as they were removed.

that is by design, yes.

observation doesnt mean correlation. Im a firm believer if you are going to claim someone wrong you better bring your data and reasoning.

Your original comment stated :

Surely there are other variables, but you did not specify as such. I'm merely commenting on your post which might seem highly intelligent to you, but not to other readers having to guess where you are coming from.
50 to 70% wear shouldnt effect pedal travel. the design of a modern master cylinder creates a mechanism where pad wear (piston extension) to not effect pedal height or feel

Quick Reply: Race pads, when do you change them out