Sponsored by:

In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat

Once every so often I have the opportunity to speak with club racers who are interested in some of the projects upon which I am working. While much of what I have been doing may not be applicable to certain levels of club racing, a theme that applies to all forms of racing is safety. In this regard, all Rennlisters are no doubt familiar with the HANS Device (www.hansdevice.com) -- something that one would suggest be used by all racers. One of the reasons (i.e., excuses) often given for not using it is comfort via-a-vis the driver's seat. Now, however, Recaro (Porsche's historical and current OE race car seat supplier and the supplier of the seats for the Carrera GT) has come out with a seat that is built to improve the interface between seat and the HANS Device -- the Recaro Pro Racer SPG HANS®. I have no direct or indirect affiliation with HANS or Recaro but would most strenuously suggest looking at this combination as among the best possible investments that any racer can make.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 12-28-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Bob, Thanks for the heads up! Any luck on the 996 Cup manual btw?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at this seat and consideredit - the only real difference between this seat and the 'normal' Pro Racer SPG is that the harness slots in the seat are wider. After careful checking, I found that the alighment of the HANS device is well within the range of using the standard Pro Racer SPG so I'm not going to replace my seat.

If I were buying a new seat, I'd definitely buy the HANS version.

For any that haven't sat in one of these seats, they are great; they hug you at every point of your body and I really like the head protection. The only downside is the size - I'm 6'0, 175lbs and a 35" waist and it would be challenging for anyone too much larger than me to fit in the seat.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just getting into racing. I will be attending the local SCCA license school in March. While purchasing my Bell helmet I came across this statment by them

"HELMET RESTRAINT DEVICES

BELL Motorsports and PYROTECT do NOT recommend any helmet restraint system whatsoever. To install such an aftermarket system on any BELL or PYROTECT helmet immediately voids all warranty's.

We suggest you review the Society of Automotive Engineers paper #2002-01-3304 from the SAE Motorsports conference of December 2002 completely and draw you own, independent conclusion as to install such a device or not."

I was wondering if anyone has read this technical paper? Does this paper argue against head and neck restraints? Does anyone have a comment on this.

Tom C.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:00 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the arguments in favor of a *good* head restraint overwhelming. See: videos of sled crash tests w. and w/o restraints. See also: body count of drivers who crashed w/o restraints.

Has ANYONE died in a car crash yet while wearing a HANS?

I know at least one other person has asked about that Bell statement; if you check the archives, you may be able to find the ensuing discussion.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:08 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Rick

For any that haven't sat in one of these seats, they are great; they hug you at every point of your body and I really like the head protection. The only downside is the size - I'm 6'0, 175lbs and a 35" waist and it would be challenging for anyone too much larger than me to fit in the seat.
Actually Recaro makes the new SPG with the head protection in wide size as well. Looking at their dimensions it looks like the seat is the same size as a Sparco EVO 2 which are the ones I use now and I'm 275lbs 6.1...

You guys with all this writing have had an effect on me so I will plunge to this type of seat as well... I'm also looking at the Racetech Viper seat which seems to be a very good one:
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2003, 09:09 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Oh great...it's not as if I don't have enough friggin' seats already...so does Racetech make a seat for us 'widebodies'?
Yeap... that's exactly what I said too

And yes they do.... Group buy anyone? LOL

http://www.racetech-na.com/products/...t4009whrv.html
Old 12-31-2003, 06:20 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah OUCH big time!!! I think 'm going to go with the other head protection model they have which retails for $1000. That beats the SPG by far in pricing... Oddly the US site says for the other seat FIA approval pending, where the original site from NZ has the FIA approval numbers on the same seat... strange... maybe since you are in Cali when you have time check them out and try out the seats for a complete opinion...
Old 12-31-2003, 09:13 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by tchandler
I am just getting into racing. I will be attending the local SCCA license school in March. While purchasing my Bell helmet I came across this statment by them

"HELMET RESTRAINT DEVICES

BELL Motorsports and PYROTECT do NOT recommend any helmet restraint system whatsoever. To install such an aftermarket system on any BELL or PYROTECT helmet immediately voids all warranty's.

We suggest you review the Society of Automotive Engineers paper #2002-01-3304 from the SAE Motorsports conference of December 2002 completely and draw you own, independent conclusion as to install such a device or not."

I was wondering if anyone has read this technical paper? Does this paper argue against head and neck restraints? Does anyone have a comment on this.

Tom C.
The helmet makers are just doing a CYA. There are concerned that drilling the shell and adding the restraint clip will compromise the helmet. (They make the same warranty statement if you drill to mount radio gear.) I have never seen any one of them try to argue that a HANS is a dangerous item. Unfortunately I do not have that SAE paper so I am not sure what the content is. I have some of the others concerning HANS and other devices. All show siginificant safety improvements with a HANS. If you really want a shock, take a look at the crash sled films that Hubbard-Downing puts on their CD.

If you are that concerned, you can order that paper from the SAE web site and see what is has to present.

I am biased - I've been using a HANS for 3 years and even given it a test or two.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

DJF:

Save money on anything and everything else, but not on safety. Get the SPG!

Bob
Old 12-31-2003, 10:31 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Robert Linton
DJF:

Save money on anything and everything else, but not on safety. Get the SPG!

Bob
Problem with the Hans SPG is that I do not fit in it! So I have to look elsewhere... I figured since the racetech seat is chosen to be the seat for the Chrysler Viper team it must be really good and safe. Plus the dimensions are similar to the EVO2 that I currently use so I should fit in it! Furthermore I'm sure the Viper pro team must be using the HANS devise so that particular seat should be able to accomodate comfortably the HANS which BTW I'm getting next month...
I know safety is NBR1, we all get wrapped up in getting mods etc to gain the few seconds for competitiveness and we tend to forget the inherent danger of the sport...
Thanks for the reminder by the way and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2003, 11:09 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

For those who fear drilling the helmet per pyrotech and bell etc. The Issac mounts can be "glued on" thereby not effecting the helmet integrity.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:06 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
Furthermore I'm sure the Viper pro team must be
LOL, which team is that?

There is no factory team that I've heard of.

Sorry, I guess I'm a little bitter at Dodge because I've read a little bit about Paul Mumford's frustration with trying to get any sort of help in his Speed GT effort. Mumford was obviously the front-running Viper going into this year's Laguna Seca race, yet Dodge provided virtually no setup info. Speculation was that Dodge was being political and didn't want a good showing by the Vipers so they wouldn't be handicapped with extra weight going into next year. If so, that's extremely petty and lame because SCCA would be quick to slap on the weight next year if a "factory" Viper team appeared and started winning right out of the gate.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Danny (DJF1) was referring to the factory built Competition Coupes.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:25 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
I think Danny (DJF1) was referring to the factory built Competition Coupes.
Thank you Greg, this is what I'm referring to.
Here is the factory site:

http://www.racetech.co.nz/new_template/index_17_02.html

Now if they lie about that, I'm sorry I do not know...

Quick Reply: In Re Safety: HANS Device And Recaro HANS Seat