Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Headers and exhaust question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Race Headers and exhaust question?

After my race at road atlanta, i plan on doing some lil changes. One thing is to wrap/coat/brs product the headers and exhaust(not mufflers) to cool down that temp.

Whats your thought on the best product to use.

Also, installing air jacks( coool!!') hehe

Have a good Sunday everyone
Old 03-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Header Shield is the best money can buy right now. It's expensive and takes a while for them to do

http://headershield.com/
Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Interested in what you find about headershield. Looks like a good idea with a Cayman. Not sure if SPC would allow it for me though.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swaintech can coat your headers and over-axle pipes w/a true ceramic coating called 'White Lightning'. It's not pretty but is very durable. Swaintech coats nascar parts and also provided service for a bunch of stuff on my college's FSAE car. They quote comparable or better effect to header wrap. Cost is about $400.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Interested in what you find about headershield. Looks like a good idea with a Cayman. Not sure if SPC would allow it for me though.
I have the Headershield wrap and it is amazing stuff. I paid about $1600 for the wrap. In SPC your headers have to remain stock, the rest is free. Exhaust wraps are fine. For Cayman race cars, a lot of people wrap the over axle pipes to prevent them from heating up the rear shocks.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:17 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking about this when I upgrade my CS exhaust. I was going with Swaintech but how does Headerwrap compare?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
After my race at road atlanta, i plan on doing some lil changes. One thing is to wrap/coat/brs product the headers and exhaust(not mufflers) to cool down that temp.

Whats your thought on the best product to use.

Also, installing air jacks( coool!!') hehe

Have a good Sunday everyone
See my post #594 here. Just keep in mind the idea of pushing more heat downstream...like if you wrap the headers everything else downstream will get hotter. Kind of like pushing in an inflated balloon - it will pop out somewhere else.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
See my post #594 here. Just keep in mind the idea of pushing more heat downstream...like if you wrap the headers everything else downstream will get hotter. Kind of like pushing in an inflated balloon - it will pop out somewhere else.
Thats an interesting theory, but i think the main reason to do this besides keeping the engine bay cooler, is to reduce the pressure drops through the exhuast system by keeping the gasses at a higher temp.
I think it would be interesting to see a before and after WOT glowing hot header temperature measurements to see if the exhaust system is hotter in the downstream portions. probably would be too small to measure, but i bet power gains and engine bay temps could be.

Quick Reply: Race Headers and exhaust question?