Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CTEK charger error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018 | 04:51 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Default Help with CTEK charger error code

Just picked up a CTEK 3300 battery charger/maintainer for my GT4. I read the instructions and hooked it up. Initially the amber "battery charging" light glowed steadily, as it should. After several hours, it then transitioned to the green "fully charged / maintenance charging" light, which is also correct function. When it transitioned to fully charged, however, the amber light is now blinking. So the green "fully charged" LED is steadily lit while the amber "battery charging" LED continually blinks. Seems like it's trying to tell me something about a potential error or issue, but I can't find an explanation for this particular LED combo in the CTEK manual, on the CTEK website, or after an extensive google search. I double checked all connections, verified that the electric outlet is good, and tried the adapter in both the center console cig lighter and the passenger footwell 12V outlet. Same thing. I emailed CTEK to ask them, but it's been radio silence from them so far. Anyone have any idea what this means?

Last edited by paradocs98; 03-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2018 | 05:44 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have one of the older 3300s and when the battery is fully charged, the 'full' green indicator is solidly lit. That's it.

Your newer model, my guess is that the green light indicates 'fully charged' and the blinking yellow 'charging' indicator is indicative of pulse/maintenance charge in progress.

If the green and yellow indicators are alternately flashing, the battery may be sulphated or there may be a dead cell.

I have since switched to the 7002 models which cycle lights when in pulse maintenance mode.
Old 03-13-2018 | 08:01 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
I have one of the older 3300s and when the battery is fully charged, the 'full' green indicator is solidly lit. That's it.

Your newer model, my guess is that the green light indicates 'fully charged' and the blinking yellow 'charging' indicator is indicative of pulse/maintenance charge in progress.

If the green and yellow indicators are alternately flashing, the battery may be sulphated or there may be a dead cell.

I have since switched to the 7002 models which cycle lights when in pulse maintenance mode.
Good to know. That’s what’s frustrating—the LED status I’m seeing may be normal operation, but I can’t get CTEK to confirm it one way or another. When I bought it recently, I didn’t realize it’s not their latest model. At just $60 on Amazon, their much newer MUS 4.3 has more modes and more status lights following the charging and maintenance process, so I went ahead and ordered one of those yesterday. Hopefully it will give me a better idea of whether the 3300 is indicating an actual issue with my GT4 battery.
Old 03-15-2018 | 05:21 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Update: I connected the CTEK directly to the car battery with the pigtail adapter, plugged in the unit and let it sit for a day. Voila! It charged correctly, and now it's happy with a steady green "maintenance charge" LED and nothing else. My error code was due to the cigarette lighter outlet and footwell accessory outlet both disconnecting themselves from power after a certain amount of time. There's apparently a GT4 service campaign that addresses that issue. Now I just have to figure out if I should be using the standard "car" setting on the CTEK or the AGM/cold setting. Old threads on rennlist and 6speedonline show that some GT4s have a more modern AGM-type battery, while others have a standard lead acid battery. Banner-branded batteries appear to be AGM, but mine is an Exide. I can't determine if the Exide is standard lead-acid or AGM. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Help with CTEK charger error code