Cool Shirt Dry Air add on install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Cool Shirt Dry Air add on install help

Hi Everyone,
I am installing this system on my wife's Miata.
The instructions that came with it don't explain what goes where and since I've never seen one IRL I'm not sure what to do!
Nothing seems to actually fit into anything!
In one of the pics I've lined up the four pieces. Is this how it goes?
Pics of your installs would be greatly appreciate!

Old 03-04-2018, 05:13 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your top picture shows the typical configuration. Most often installed with large intake hose aimed toward passenger side window, the small hose side mounted so hose is behind drive's seat to facilitate connecting to helmet.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default How well does it work?

If you have used one of these, please tell us how well it worked.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
If you have used one of these, please tell us how well it worked.
The system definitely helps to cool your head. It ain't freezing cold air by any stretch. My wife says it really takes the edge off having the cool air blowing in the helmet. Sometimes she even uses the fan without loading the cooler.
Unfortunately the car isn't here now so this is the best pic I have of the install. I recommend putting a circular piece of very porous foam at the inlet. I initially used the filter paper that came with the unit but it came loose and clogged/broke the air fan.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Hi Everyone,
I am installing this system on my wife's Miata.
The instructions that came with it don't explain what goes where and since I've never seen one IRL I'm not sure what to do!
Nothing seems to actually fit into anything!
In one of the pics I've lined up the four pieces. Is this how it goes?
Pics of your installs would be greatly appreciate!

This is a car site Dave, not a place to showcase your latest sex toy!!! Geez, who let this guy in???
Old 12-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
This is a car site Dave, not a place to showcase your latest sex toy!!! Geez, who let this guy in???
OK, I admit it. It's actually a Swedish sure grip suck machine with Coolshirt logos on it so nobody knows what I'm doing with it.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

OK, I admit it. It's actually a Swedish sure grip suck machine with Coolshirt logos on it so nobody knows what I'm doing with it.
Now I'm scared to google what a swedish sure grip suck machine is... Or I am naive for not knowing... Either way, I'm scared
Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Now I'm scared to google what a swedish sure grip suck machine is... Or I am naive for not knowing... Either way, I'm scared
It's a line from the original Naked Gun movie.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Happy ending on the track , now THAT’s who wins the DE
Old 12-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

Happy ending on the track , now THAT’s who wins the DE
Indeed.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,510 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I have this exact same blower (not the swedish one) and it reduces the ambient temperature from 85 degree to 84.5 degrees.

The air movement is nice as it keeps the sweat off my forehead but temperature-wise I don't think this thing does a ton. Also, I wonder how much faster it warms up the water in the cool system as you are essentially blasting a coil with hot air.

I just got the Roux helmet with the integrated water lines in the helmet and looking forward to that. I'm probably going to use the blower in the helmet as well but disconnect the thing you just bought.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:45 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

@LuigiVampa Just saw your post as I'm trying to cool my helmet and you are the first person that I've seen that either has or is contemplating the exact things I'm looking at.
There is the plain blower that coolshirt sells (just blows hot air) but then there is the device that blows the air through the Dry Cool system and from there I thought it would be *cool*. It seems the original poster says its pretty good but you are saying it doesn't cool all that much. Thats kind of a bummer.

See this thread I posted - I was asking https://rennlist.com/forums/performa...t-cooling.html . You can respond here or there - I'd appreciate it.
I'm curious about the Roux - I had heard about them 6 months ago and their helmet sounds great but I've heard some people don't like the fit. I love the idea that it has essentially the cool-a-clava built in although their external cables are a requirement and extra - very pricey for what they are ($299 - seems crazy!). I do need a new helmet - mine is SA2010 but their SA2020 isn't out yet (the fiberglass one is but it does not have the built in cooling)

Old 12-08-2021, 10:06 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The problem IMHO is that there is not enough time for the air to cool off as it goes through the device. Thus the new options out there that are solid state air conditioners or actually small air conditioners. The Roux concept should work ( have not tried it ) since it recirculates chilled water same as the cool shirts do.

The other issue is then where does your helmet connect the air line? 3 or helmets back, mine had the port on the side and a lot of the "chilled air" escaped down the bottom of the helmet. The solution then was to use a helmet skirt which IMHO was counter productive as soon as the little chilled air that was on the system got blown into your face; now I was trapped in a head sauna. My Stilo and others have a top port which (except for the Stilo) put to air on top of your head. The Stilo puts a bit on top and the rest blows into your face.

In the end, the solution, if you are not using a chilled fluid system (Roux or Fast shirt with balaclava), just get as much air into your face as possible.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,510 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
@LuigiVampa Just saw your post as I'm trying to cool my helmet and you are the first person that I've seen that either has or is contemplating the exact things I'm looking at.
There is the plain blower that coolshirt sells (just blows hot air) but then there is the device that blows the air through the Dry Cool system and from there I thought it would be *cool*. It seems the original poster says its pretty good but you are saying it doesn't cool all that much. Thats kind of a bummer.

See this thread I posted - I was asking https://rennlist.com/forums/performa...t-cooling.html . You can respond here or there - I'd appreciate it.
I'm curious about the Roux - I had heard about them 6 months ago and their helmet sounds great but I've heard some people don't like the fit. I love the idea that it has essentially the cool-a-clava built in although their external cables are a requirement and extra - very pricey for what they are ($299 - seems crazy!). I do need a new helmet - mine is SA2010 but their SA2020 isn't out yet (the fiberglass one is but it does not have the built in cooling)
While I no longer own the car with this system I will tell you that after unhooking the waterlines from the cooler I realized that I was wrong about the benefit being only .5 degrees. I immediately reconnected it as it did lower the temperature enough to be of use.

My new car came with an air-conditioning helmet blower that is awesome but it does cost about $5k. While I think it is worth every penny I am not sure I would spring for it if it didn't come wiht the car.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:37 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Thats worth knowing - I'm getting a chillout system but it is only the shirt (or one could run the dry air system in series). Chillout sells an additional helmet system here: https://www.chilloutsystems.com/prod...hillout-aircon but then I'd have 2 chillout boxes!?! Why can't there be one box for both shirt and helmet? I've heard people say that cooling the core helps the head but, well, not in my case - I still sweat a LOT!

Did you get a Roux and try that? How'd that go?

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt Dry Air add on install help