Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:27 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I hate driving with the windows open because it is dangerous and uncomfortable.
Several times I have been struck by debris.
Yes, ROW readers, here in the good old USA almost all tracks and event organizers use the archaic rule of mandatory windows DOWN, as opposed to UP everywhere else in the world!!

Please post here if you know a Track or Driving event organization that allows to keep the windows closed.

I have enjoyed a few tracks and organizations, years ago at Road America for example where common sense prevailed and I would like to find out if you guys know of more.Unfortunately most tracks and organizers have not yet caught on that this is very dangerous and I prefer to choose tracks and organizers that allow the windows to be safely closed and use turn signals to give point by’s.
The old excuse typically used is that it’s easier to get to the driver with the windows down, I guess they can’t be bothered with a special little < $10.00 tool or a piece of spark plug to break the windows if the doors won’t open.
Little < $10.00 tool demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=108CoOyteGM

Or some free spark plug pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArUnuEUd4VU

Even during events where closed cockpit race cars are allowed to use turn signals as point by’s, street legal DE cars must have the windows lowered.
I suppose race car customer lives’ and limbs’ are more valuable then street car DE customers.

Hard to understand why the track or DE organizations assume such liability by overriding the car manufacturers and drivers alike.

The reason windows down is so dangerous:
- Manufacturers are so sure that windows up are safer in a crash that when there is an impending crash or the car is crashing, some cars close the windows automatically, so those will be closed anyway and a tool is needed.
- DE cars have no safety nets. Race cars are not allowed on track without them because flailing arms out of the car is too dangerous; Yet in DE it’s mandatory to stick your entire arm out of the car. Crazy.
- Point by’s at 150 MPH, LOL! We are supposed to extend our entire arm out the window and over the roof. Good luck with that at high speed parts of the track.
- Debris enters the cockpit hitting the driver causing injury and maybe even an incident, typically rubber coming off cars, but also car parts or other debris flying up left after other incidents.
- When crashing, I prefer not to die from sharp pieces flying into the car cutting my neck.
- Side window glass is extremely strong for a reason, it helps the structure of the car, we have all seen the guys trying to break them by throwing bricks and failing.
- Cars are not build to go 150MPH with the windows down - Your head wobbles in the car due to turbulence, hard to focus on your marks. In the Porsche 991 if you don’t add little foils on the A pillar the windows blow out.
- Cars are not build to go 150MPH with the windows down – rear windows have been known to blow out, potentially causing incidents.
- With the windows up the side airbag curtains are more effective.
Look, there are REASONS that the windows are to be left open in a DE or RACE. they CLEARLY out weigh, gas mileage, messed up hair, keeping water out if you crash in a lake, some dirt entering the car when you spin, etc.
1. its easier for a driver to get out of a car in an emergency. you can only imagine if your car is on fire in a crash, when you cant open the door and want to get out..... (and you dont have one of those window breakers in your pocket)
2. corner workers can yell instructions to drivers of disabled cars.
3. Hand signals are much more clear for left passes
4. in a crash, there is MUCH more debris to clean up if the windows break thus making much more of a delay for other participants.

this is why you will not have a tremendous amount of luck trying to convince experienced race organizers to allow for close window in street cars /or race cars unless they are designed for easy popout (eg; cup cars)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

^ Wonder why it is supposed to be safe in Europe with windows up?

There must be some data from Europe to support if windows up is more dangerous than window down.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:03 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

At PSDS they require windows up (I was black flagged for opening the window). Their rationale is that with the windows down the side airbag is much less effective.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Windows? Blinkers? Windows? Race cars don’t have these

Charley

^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I'm also appalled by the windows down rule. Got to drive with windows up in Europe and realized how much better it is. Is there something we can actually do to change this regulation? Like a petition or some consultations - like what was done for engine replacement in early 991 GT3s?
Originally Posted by Manny Alban
why don't you send the National PCA DE Chair an email with your thoughts. There's a committee that discusses these exact things. Remember when we couldn't pass in corner??
Originally Posted by ExMB
Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Some groups have turn signals as an option to pass.
I thought it had something to do with the insurance carried by track day organizers? Any truth to that?
I'm happy to help, surely someone on this forum is smarter, more convincing and eloquent on these pages to put forth that effort.
I really think it would be much, much safer and that should be reason alone.
But as a bonus its also more comfortable, better value for participants during rainy track weekends (I've cancelled due to rain, I wouldn't with windows closed) and better for our cars interiors.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have never had the pleasure of windows up on track. But you guys who want windows up may want to check to see how your A/C works. Many modern sportscars shut the A/C compressor off at wide open throttle to max power. So on a hot summer day you might still be cooking...
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
On braking it's connected back, and it's enough to cool the car, at least 991 GT3 and Turbo. But there is also driving in rain, when windows down are just terrible, and debris flying into the car. I once damaged window tint in my M3 while removing rubber marbles stuck to the inside of the rear window.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not a problem with the GT3.

Speaking from personal experience, tracking it in 110F (and higher) during the peak of summer, with A/C on full blast. And windows up.

I can see my old breath
Old 02-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Old 02-27-2018, 08:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ Thanks Jay!

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 02-27-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
im with Peter.

I actually added the Manthey Racing carbon doors with full plexi windows to my GT4CS this year so I can run windows up and A/C on!

Windows down is for chumps!
That in itself is a reason to get one and hang out with you more often!
Hope to see you at Pikes Peak!

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Look, there are REASONS that the windows are to be left open in a DE or RACE. they CLEARLY out weigh, gas mileage, messed up hair, keeping water out if you crash in a lake, some dirt entering the car when you spin, etc.
1. its easier for a driver to get out of a car in an emergency. you can only imagine if your car is on fire in a crash, when you cant open the door and want to get out..... (and you dont have one of those window breakers in your pocket)
4. in a crash, there is MUCH more debris to clean up if the windows break thus making much more of a delay for other participants.

this is why you will not have a tremendous amount of luck trying to convince experienced race organizers to allow for close window in street cars /or race cars unless they are designed for easy popout (eg; cup cars)
1. In the very rare occasion that a DE car catches on fire due to a crash (I haven't seen one in the last 500 track days), I will take my chances that the emergency rescue vehicle gets to me on time. The response times have been phenomenal. I actually think there are times that the window structure helps from deforming and keeps the doors operational longer. German car manufacturers see to think so. Anyway, I am much moire likely to die from crap flying through the car then a car fire. That I am sure of.
2. If they are right next to the car you cant hear anything, if they are you can with the windows closed.
3. Nothing is more clear then turn signals. Everyone uses it every day, everyone sees it every day. Much, more clear then flailing arm out of the window that almost get ripped out of your shoulder socket. Example guy sticks his arm all the way out the window to the left, only to take .5 seconds to bend his arm ver the roof to the right. In that half a second your committing to the wrong side of the car. Or something flaps around half out the window and one mistakes it for a glove/point by.. It seems the race car drivers have the hardest time giving clear point by's..
4.This is a moot pint because if there is glass to clean up, the track is going to be cold for a bit while they clean up up the rest of the car parts, it will just get sweeped up with the kitty litter..

I think your clairvoyance system is broken..
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
^ Wonder why it is supposed to be safe in Europe with windows up?
There must be some data from Europe to support if windows up is more dangerous than window down.
The Germans especially know a thing or two about high speed crash safety. Nowhere do they investigate crash damage results like they do in Europe and they have learned from it.

Originally Posted by tstafford
At PSDS they require windows up (I was black flagged for opening the window). Their rationale is that with the windows down the side airbag is much less effective.
Exactly, very telling.
Strange that Porsche is affiliated with both PSDS and less so with PCA but the approach to keeping customers safe in terms of point by's and occupant protection they directly contradict themselves.
I think PCA can take the lead in this through the perfect proven safety records of PSDS that is run by people who's opinion many participants much value and set an example for all other DE organizers.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Some of the private clubs I run with in Canada allow windows up and using turn signals--just don't be a doof and leave it on for 3 laps

Gary
Old 02-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

My driver cooling system is windows down .
Old 02-27-2018, 11:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort

and what you do not realize that in modern day cars it is safer to have the windows up for the air bags. Ever seen the air bags deploy with the windows down? I have ( Daytona Bus Stop 2007 GT3) and they go right out the window flapping in the wind. Also windows up keeps arms in place and from going outside the car in a roll over. Race cars have a window net on drivers side....street cars do not. Running windows down is wrong, always has been especially in modern day cars with air bags and safety glass windows.

I use turn signals for point by. Much much safer to keep my hands on the wheel at 100+mph than putting my arm out the window!!!!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
why don't you send the National PCA DE Chair an email with your thoughts. There's a committee that discusses these exact things. Remember when we couldn't pass in corner??
I did a few years ago and also spoke with Chin Trackdays as well. No response...ZERO...from PCA. I mentioned this to the local PCA track chairman at a DE and got some stupid response like this is the way its always been done and is safer. I said who says its safer?...its not safer....they are just so closed minded!!!!!!

Chin said it's up to the tracks and what they require. I do not totally believe that statement since at Barber the Porsche school requires windows to be up but Chin says the track says they have to be down..BUT....then when it rains they tell us to put the windows up. Geesh!!!....makes zero sense now doesn't it?!?!?!?

My car like 99% of the cars running in DE's has air bags....multiple air bags. For the side air bags to do there job it is fact that the windows need to be UP. Although I have seen a GT3 crash at Daytona...windows were down and the steering wheel air bag got sucked right out the drivers window. It did absolutely zero good in protecting the driver.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

The idea that windows keep your extremities inside the car in an accident serious enough to break the glass and deploy airbags is absurd...

If you're paranoid about that, buy harnesses for the car and use arm restraints, at least for the window opening side of the car. Sheesh.

Quick Reply: What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?