Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts
Default What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

I hate driving with the windows open because it is dangerous and uncomfortable.
Several times I have been struck by debris.
Yes, ROW readers, here in the good old USA almost all tracks and event organizers use the archaic rule of mandatory windows DOWN, as opposed to UP everywhere else in the world!!

Please post here if you know a Track or Driving event organization that allows to keep the windows closed.

I have enjoyed a few tracks and organizations, years ago at Road America for example where common sense prevailed and I would like to find out if you guys know of more.Unfortunately most tracks and organizers have not yet caught on that this is very dangerous and I prefer to choose tracks and organizers that allow the windows to be safely closed and use turn signals to give point by’s.
The old excuse typically used is that it’s easier to get to the driver with the windows down, I guess they can’t be bothered with a special little < $10.00 tool or a piece of spark plug to break the windows if the doors won’t open.
Little < $10.00 tool demo:

Or some free spark plug pieces:

Even during events where closed cockpit race cars are allowed to use turn signals as point by’s, street legal DE cars must have the windows lowered.
I suppose race car customer lives’ and limbs’ are more valuable then street car DE customers.

Hard to understand why the track or DE organizations assume such liability by overriding the car manufacturers and drivers alike.

The reason windows down is so dangerous:
- Manufacturers are so sure that windows up are safer in a crash that when there is an impending crash or the car is crashing, some cars close the windows automatically, so those will be closed anyway and a tool is needed.
- DE cars have no safety nets. Race cars are not allowed on track without them because flailing arms out of the car is too dangerous; Yet in DE it’s mandatory to stick your entire arm out of the car. Crazy.
- Point by’s at 150 MPH, LOL! We are supposed to extend our entire arm out the window and over the roof. Good luck with that at high speed parts of the track.
- Debris enters the cockpit hitting the driver causing injury and maybe even an incident, typically rubber coming off cars, but also car parts or other debris flying up left after other incidents.
- When crashing, I prefer not to die from sharp pieces flying into the car cutting my neck.
- Side window glass is extremely strong for a reason, it helps the structure of the car, we have all seen the guys trying to break them by throwing bricks and failing.
- Cars are not build to go 150MPH with the windows down - Your head wobbles in the car due to turbulence, hard to focus on your marks. In the Porsche 991 if you don’t add little foils on the A pillar the windows blow out.
- Cars are not build to go 150MPH with the windows down – rear windows have been known to blow out, potentially causing incidents.
- With the windows up the side airbag curtains are more effective.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I hate having to drive with windows open too, Peter. At my local track (http://highplainsraceway.com/) they usually allow closed windows during open lapping days (at least once per week). However, during a recent day they alluded to the fact that this policy could change to make them open in the future...
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Good question. I always found it a bizarre requirement. Wind, noise, dirt, debris, safety, I can only imagine. Makes ZERO sense. Wonder what could be done to knock some common sense into this craziness??

Aerodynamics alone makes no sense keeping them down too.

Can we somehow add in an ADM angle to this thread??
Old 02-26-2018, 04:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks Grant, that's a terrible idea, why would they change it back??
Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Our region requires the driver's side window down and the other side has to either be all the way up or all the way down. They're not down for any safety reason or they'd require the instructor one down too. They don't. They're down only so you can give a point-by.

My understanding is that it's because you can't accidentally give a point-by this way. Each one is obvious and deliberate. With turn signals you could hit them accidentally or you could have a second or third car go by that you didn't intend to signal.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Hey Peter - haven't seen a group or TRACK out here on the west coast that allows windows up. Would be nice during those toasty summer days.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:54 PM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the Ron Felllows Corvette school at Spring Mountain, and they required you to drive with the windows up. They even told us to use AC and cooled seats if we wanted. They did there instruction though the stereo system so no instructor in the car.
I don't know how there normal track days worked, but it was kind of nice with the windows up.
Also drag racing requires you to put your windows up.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:33 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Echo what Grant said. Also was lucky at a BMWCCA club race school that they allowed windows up only because it was raining. One more reason windows down makes no sense.

Would be curious if somebody from the insurance side would chime in. Change will likely have to come from them first.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by mig7410
I did the Ron Felllows Corvette school at Spring Mountain, and they required you to drive with the windows up. They even told us to use AC and cooled seats if we wanted.
In the summer heat, windows up with AC is far safer. then getting heat stroke. I really wish we could run windows up.

There's a guy in the local club that shows up with a DP, of course he gets to run with using blinkers. But everyone else is stuck with windows down. I could understand the issue in blue or green. But in Red/Black it doesn't make sense.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:01 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Have to admit, I'm so happy my new GT4 racer has fixed windows...is there no aftermarket solution for a clip in window net of some sort? Haven't seen one...but maybe there's a million dollar idea for you!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:27 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I've tracked with the windows up was at Buttonwillow when it started raining. I didn't mind getting a meatball or black flag for having my windows up and not getting rained on...
Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Thermal.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 100% get the point of your question! Talk about first world problems but back in the day when moving to US was an option my biggest concern was WTF do I have to put my windows down and wait for or give some point-bys at the track...
Old 02-26-2018, 07:00 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At AMP you can run with windows up.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:01 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I did an event last year at the Glen with Audi Club North East region and we kept the windows up—used directional as to “point” which side you wanted people behind to pass—-was pretty unfamiliar at first as every other club DE I do uses point by hand signals and windows down

Quick Reply: What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?