Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993

One of the rationales is it takes too long for a driver to take hand off wheel to signal. Since I always give both a hand signal as well as the preferred turn signal, I have trouble accepting there's not enough time or focus to use hand signals.
Agree. It’s way more difficult to drive a manual transmission car than to point out the window, yet nobody is advocating automatics only on the track.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a recent scca event in Milwaukee, one of the officials was advising Windows have to be down for 2 reasons:

1) safety, in case you need to be pulled out
2) to prevent glass all over the track in case of an accident, as the side windows are designed to shatter

You don't hear many folks mention the glass issue, never thought about that...
Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
ACNA (Audi Club North America) uses Euro-style signaling, i.e. the car being passed indicates where they are putting the car. Works very well but we certainly had naysayers last season when it was introduced. A year later everyone seems to like the protocol and are used to it. Those without signals use old time hand signals.
This makes ZERO sense. The car being passed stays on line, the passing car goes off line. How would this work with the car being passed staying on line, in other words, the car being passed is staying put, what signal tells the passing car I am staying on line, you go around?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
This makes ZERO sense. The car being passed stays on line, the passing car goes off line. How would this work with the car being passed staying on line, in other words, the car being passed is staying put, what signal tells the passing car I am staying on line, you go around?
The blinker signals the side of the track chosen by the passed car in anticipation of being passed. It doesn’t imply moving off-line for the passed car — only that room will be provided for the passing car on the opposite side.

All over the world drivers use blinkers to signal their chosen/intended side on roads and tracks alike. There is no reason whatsoever to do the opposite on american tracks.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:11 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I like the windows up and blinkers on.

It helps me focus on my music selection and run the AC.

Plus, I am afriad to take my hand off the wheel so this really works for me.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE

Tip: Just run with your hazards on, they never self cancel, others go around you as they please, and you can enjoy the bliss of AC and quality tunes - sort of like most drivers on I-495
Old 05-26-2018, 11:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
At a recent scca event in Milwaukee, one of the officials was advising Windows have to be down for 2 reasons:

2) to prevent glass all over the track in case of an accident, as the side windows are designed to shatter

1. Modern cars lock themselves and close windows. Never seen someone pulled out of a car in a DE.
Could be possible, just unlikely. It’s like the analogy of driving without seat belt in case you land upside down in a canal.

2. If you manage to break the side glass, there will be a ton of parts and fluids to be picked up and cleaned up anyway.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

1. Modern cars lock themselves and close windows. Never seen someone pulled out of a car in a DE.
Could be possible, just unlikely. It’s like the analogy of driving without seat belt in case you land upside down in a canal.

2. If you manage to break the side glass, there will be a ton of parts and fluids to be picked up and cleaned up anyway.

We should have the choice, personally I prefer how the rest of the world does it, windows up and what’s recommended by manufacturers of the street cars when used on track. I don’t care how we have to use them US style or ROW style. It’s not rocket science pick one and be clear in the drivers meeting.

If I’d own or operated a road course I would never accept the liability to go against a manufacturers recommendation.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yes, just like all the other manufacturers...
congrats on the C63!!
Thnx, really the wife car...but I enjoy driving it...love the V8 sound and torque.
It handles really well too
Old 05-26-2018, 02:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

...and thats complete utter BS....if you wreck hard enough to bust the windows you're going to had fluids and car part scattered all over th place. The side widows in modern cars of the last few dang decades are designed not to shatter anyway...but its a moot point in an accident so bad that the side windows do break.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 996AE

maybe with the right music and you'll drive faster... ;-)
Old 05-27-2018, 12:16 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

At the PSDS the windows are always up, it's actually mandatory . They say, and I agree, that the relative comfort and controlled noise helps the driver to concentrate.

I don't understand why we have to suffer with heat, endangering ourselves with exhaustion and dehydration for some dumb old rule

Windows up, ac on, messages on the radio (FM) and blinkers. Added advantages, you can hear the instructor (or be heard) don't get hit by pearls or get soaked when it rains. When I have to drive behind track cars (103db, right) it's such a racket, even more when there's the friendly concrete wall to reverberate.

Is there anything that can actually be done to update such archaic rule?

Btw , don't pull out a person unless there's a fire risk, throwing this argument down the drain. Let the professionals handle that, they will break a window if needed be. If that was saving lives, Ralph Nader would be complaining about all car windows staying up.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:20 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Duplicate
Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

For many that have grown up 'racing" the sounds and smells of the track are part of the sport. Too many of us these are key parts of the experience and part of the thrill.

I think the difference is driving around the track vs racing around the track.

Comfort has never been a word I have used in or around a track. But, modern cars for modern times maybe comfort is key to faster and safer lap times.

Heck, I may enjoy windows up, a nice comfortable AC filled quite cabin.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This weekend on RADE the air temperature reached near 40 degrees celsius, with the track probably another 10-15. 30-40 mins of that, 4x in a day, is risking lack of concentration and dehydration.
Professionals or amateur racers invariably have a cool shirt system and/or fluid replenishing.

Talking to people about this rule this weekend, seems it comes from not wanting to clean glass on the track.

Quick Reply: What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?