Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake duct tubing size - changing dia mid-run?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Brake duct tubing size - changing dia mid-run?

Ok so it's been a long time since I had fluid dynamics classes.... and don't remember any of it.

Looking at doing brake ducting on my Cayman. Found a guy doing some cool custom pieces that convert the fog lights to tubes.

He's suggesting using 1.5" tubing... merely from a "fit" perspective.

I have Olsen Motorsports front backing plates (basically custom front backing plates that have scoops on them) - in addition, these ducts have provisions for mounting up ducting. They are set to collect 2.5" tubing.

I know as I change tubing diameters, it will change how the air flows. I'm concerned I may cause the air to stall..... I guess, maybe I'm overthinking it, but is there any practical examples/advice/evidence out there to suggest that, if I run 1.5" tubing for most of the run, then merely adapt to the 2.5" at or near the mount on the rotor... that I'll cause issues or make the whole concept ineffective?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:11 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Should work okay. The larger diameter will cause the average air velocity to drop, but the total air volume delivered will actiually be higher ( slightly) than if you ran 1.5 inch tubing the entire way.

Of course, larger tubing the entire way would work better, if possible.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

I thought Tim made a front duct setup too?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I thought Tim made a front duct setup too?
He might have. I scored the backing plates used, and a guy on another forum came up with some 3D brackets.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I know as I change tubing diameters, it will change how the air flows. I'm concerned I may cause the air to stall..... I guess, maybe I'm overthinking it, but is there any practical examples/advice/evidence out there to suggest that, if I run 1.5" tubing for most of the run, then merely adapt to the 2.5" at or near the mount on the rotor... that I'll cause issues or make the whole concept ineffective?
You’ll be fine. The mass conservation principle assures you that with changing the diameter, the mass flow rate will be constant, ie the same amount of air that went into the pipe will come out of the pipe regardless of a diameter change. If the pipe were very very very small you’d have boundary layer friction that slows it down but that should not be your concern.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm wrapping mine up tomorrow will post pics in my SPC build thread (Cayman FORUM) I plan on putting 2.5 naca ducts in the radiator shrouds. I think there is enough room..
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Little knowledge of fluid dynamics here but I would assume the veining within the rotors creates a bit of a draw on the system as well.
Have a pair of AIR fog light ducts with hose and backing plates on my 951 with no complaints...but no data to support.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

You’ll be fine. The mass conservation principle assures you that with changing the diameter, the mass flow rate will be constant, ie the same amount of air that went into the pipe will come out of the pipe regardless of a diameter change. If the pipe were very very very small you’d have boundary layer friction that slows it down but that should not be your concern.

you're forgetting about pressure drops along the way . this will reduce mass flow rates and flow rates at the exit. like an engine, the volume is determined by size, but the mass flow rates are determined by pressure drops so, yes, if there is a mass flow rate at the beginning stages, that will remain constant.. but the mass flow rate at the beginning changes when you have pressure drops downstream. so, you want as large as a diamter as you can make with as least bends as possible.... as you neck down, and turn, that is a pressure drop, along with surface turbulence, which further drops pressure.

Originally Posted by mj951
Little knowledge of fluid dynamics here but I would assume the veining within the rotors creates a bit of a draw on the system as well.
Have a pair of AIR fog light ducts with hose and backing plates on my 951 with no complaints...but no data to support.
yes, the veins are being fed by incoming air flow. its effectiveness is based on the density of the air it has access to. faster you go, the higher pressure the air is at the inlet area of the brake rotor annulus.

Quick Reply: Brake duct tubing size - changing dia mid-run?