What are correct shift points ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
This post really makes it confusing.
I had just determined to set shift light at 6800, leaving room from reaction for car to be shifted at 6900-7000.
Now, I am thinking that is too high of rpm.
What part made you think that you should lower your shift light SP? Do you have a dyno plot? unless your power were to really fall off before redline, you're still better to shift a hair before redline.

my car makes max hp at 7500, but is flat to redline (8200). I still shift at redline. This ensures that hp post shift is highest.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I had just determined to set shift light at 6800, leaving room from reaction for car to be shifted at 6900-7000.
Now, I am thinking that is too high of rpm.
I don't recommend that drivers "game" shift lights. Set the lights so they all light up at the desired point of shifting. If you're timing is off, fix your timing.

In most cars without gear dependent shift lights (different splits between the lights in the lower gears, because revs climb quicker in lower gears), the split between the last few lights should get smaller and smaller.

Generally, no more than a 200 RPM split from next to last to last, 300 below that, 400, then 600, etc.

If you find yourself "slow" and bouncing off the limiter (the cardinal sin, it slows you down), then drop them 50-100 until you don't do that.

Arrange the lights so that if 7000 is the desired shift point, 6999 is one less light than you have.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don't recommend that drivers "game" shift lights. Set the lights so they all light up at the desired point of shifting. If you're timing is off, fix your timing.

In most cars without gear dependent shift lights (different splits between the lights in the lower gears, because revs climb quicker in lower gears), the split between the last few lights should get smaller and smaller.

Generally, no more than a 200 RPM split from next to last to last, 300 below that, 400, then 600, etc.

If you find yourself "slow" and bouncing off the limiter (the cardinal sin, it slows you down), then drop them 50-100 until you don't do that.

Arrange the lights so that if 7000 is the desired shift point, 6999 is one less light than you have.

Now that is another fact, I didn't consider, the engine in climbing in revs much faster in lower gears, than in higher gears.
Thus, if there were .05 second shift duration, the rpm drop 2nd to 3rd is going to be much more than 4th to 5th.

That video was interesting, but circled all the way back to torque vs. HP.
My torque is almost the same (actually a little more) at 200 hp (4500 rpm) as at 290 hp (7000 rpm).
It stays constant from 4300 rpm to 7000 rpm.
That is what started me on this quest to find optimal shift points.

But now Pro Coach, brought the difference in rev acceleration in lower gears, which is absolutely a fact
Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

But now Pro Coach, brought the difference in rev acceleration in lower gears, which is absolutely a fact
He brought it up with respect to the shift light. It has nothing to do with the revs in the next gear.

If your light comes on 200 rpm before you need to shift, you could have plenty of time in 4th but be hitting the limiter in 2nd.

That’s why he mentioned it.

Honestly, you’ll get used to doing it by sound. You’ll know when you need to shift on the track and know exactly when based on the sound of the revs going up.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Honestly, you’ll get used to doing it by sound. You’ll know when you need to shift on the track and know exactly when based on the sound of the revs going up.
Yep. That's the goal.

OP, don't get waylaid.

You're on the right track. You now have a good tool. Set it to the OEM redline and use it.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Now that is another fact, I didn't consider, the engine in climbing in revs much faster in lower gears, than in higher gears.
Thus, if there were .05 second shift duration, the rpm drop 2nd to 3rd is going to be much more than 4th to 5th.

My torque is almost the same (actually a little more) at 200 hp (4500 rpm) as at 290 hp (7000 rpm).

Don't worry about torque, hp is what you want to focus on.

Where do you think this guy would shift?

Old 01-22-2018, 11:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

the video was more for dave who really doesnt get it, but for you , i see you are thinking about it and thats good
you missed one very important point of the video. it's not about the engine torque values after the shift, its about the engine torque x engine speed (after a shift and through different gear ratios which changes rear wheel forces.), or in other words, HP..

Even though your torque is the same from 4500 to 7000rpm what is the HP level at 5800rpm. (after a 7000rpm shift) or at( 5000rpm after 2-3rd gear shift ) if the HP is as high or lower you shift at 7000rpm. this is because when you shift , you shift out of a higher numerical ratio (more mechanical advantage) vs the next gear that has a lower numerical ratio and less of a mechanical advantage. you can play with the gear ratios and engine torques and RPM, or you can just compare HP vs RPM for the gear spacing. its much easier that way

again, the entire point is to maximize HP. it never pays to shift at max HP, always a little after it, this brings the average HP up.. go back and look at the graphs i made so you can see it visually.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:13 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thats a good one.... how about this one as well.

Or this one...BMW with HP limited by electronics to take advantage and opimize for Hp/weight rules.
Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Don't worry about torque, hp is what you want to focus on.

Where do you think this guy would shift?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I take it you have never been in a rolling start at the beginning of a race. You can not hear anything but the noise coming from the cars surrounding you. Shift lights are needed.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 758 Likes on 383 Posts

Another thread Kiborted.....sigh.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
again, the entire point is to maximize HP. it never pays to shift at max HP
I can’t for the life of me imagine why this would even be speculated.

“Right now we’ve got as much power as we can have. This is it. I’m accelerating as hard as possible right this second. Surely we should stop doing this and try something else!!”

Originally Posted by rlm328
I take it you have never been in a rolling start at the beginning of a race. You can not hear anything but the noise coming from the cars surrounding you. Shift lights are needed.
I have not. Point conceded 100%.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Indeed. We had a nice long respite from his crap. I guess it's over.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
At the start of my first ever race I was like "what's wrong with my car?"

Oh yeah - I gotta shift out of second!

I don't really use the shift lights but I like the fact that they are there.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I can’t for the life of me imagine why this would even be speculated.

“Right now we’ve got as much power as we can have. This is it. I’m accelerating as hard as possible right this second. Surely we should stop doing this and try something else!!”

I have not. Point conceded 100%.
I think you are agreing with me and others on this point, correct? Dave,do you understand????? what he is saying is exactly right. why would you shift before max HP when max HP is the greatest point of acceleration you will ever have at ANY speed. (yet again, the proof, acceleration = power/(mass x velocity) . Furthermore, past max HP is STILL greater than any "meat of the torque curve" that you will ever find.
the real and only question is, "how far past max HP do you go?" Not if, but when do you shift.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Indeed. We had a nice long respite from his crap. I guess it's over.
This was an informative thread until you chimed in with your nonsense and ingorance. please , stick to teaching the DE line... something you know about.
you are wrong dave and its sad you cant look in the mirror and with ALL the information here, figure it out.

Originally Posted by winders
Winders, you are going to stand around and let bozos spread complete falsehoods about one of the most basic concepts of racing. AND, dont forget , we are trying to help someone with an answer to a quesiton . when to shift.. had Dave not chimed in about something he has no clue about.... this wouldnt have gone sideways.

below, you are going to let someone in the race community spread this kind of misinformation? and you are ok with it and then send an insult my way? :confused"

You said this:

and then Dave says this and still stands by his "thoughs" and poor advice. ....................

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
At the start of my first ever race I was like "what's wrong with my car?"

Oh yeah - I gotta shift out of second!

I don't really use the shift lights but I like the fact that they are there.
that is a good reason..... a well as i know my car... at Autoclub speedway, that happened to me... i couldnt hear anything and forgot for a sec to shift and banged off the rev limiter.. droped a spot.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The retard is back on Ignore...
Thanks for that announcement . I'm sure we all are impressed. Dave, take a hint.. please learn about the subject before you go "advising" people on incorrect interpretations of reality and fact.
you made a statement and over the years, continue to not be able to understand, nor back it up, even after the list here has shown you the truth.

as soon as you find a HP /torque curve where it pays to shift at or before max HP , i will apologize to you, and never post on the racing board again! news flash...........that will never happen! so, STFU!!

the reason we have this conflict, is that we are helping a Lister understand the basic physics here and you chime in and make a mess of it. STOP! you should put anything relating to HP or torque on "ignore" .

Last edited by mark kibort; 01-23-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: What are correct shift points ?