Sponsored by:

What are correct shift points ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

A nano-second short of redline unless conditions dictate a short-shift.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
The reason I am questioning, is I can pull away from cars (Green Group. LOL) 2/3 of the way up the Esses, but as soon as I upshift, they are on my bumper.
Are you still in the green group? How many times have you been out in the past couple years? We were in Green together a couple years ago there.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Yep. The most succinct and least headache inducing post in this thread.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Are you still in the green group? How many times have you been out in the past couple years? We were in Green together a couple years ago there.

Yes we were is 2016.
I remember you made a video for me before I had a camera, unfortunately, every shot in the video was you passing me like I was an old grandma driving.
Just one day at NJMP Lightning(2016) and last year at Zone 1 WGI,
My PCA instructor log book indicates to move to yellow at my next event, which will be Zone 1 WGI in May, are you going to be there?
If so, I can video you as I pass you , in stead of you passing me all the time
Old 01-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Yes we were is 2016.
I remember you made a video for me before I had a camera, unfortunately, every shot in the video was you passing me like I was an old grandma driving.

Just one day at NJMP Lightning(2016) and last year at Zone 1 WGI,
My PCA instructor log book indicates to move to yellow at my next event, which will be Zone 1 WGI in May, are you going to be there?
Unfortunately I won't, but I'll almost definitely be there in 2019 in Yellow Group so hopefully I'll see you there if you haven't moved beyond that! One of the regions down there have instructors for the White group but I don't think the Zone 1 event does that. If it does, then I suspect I'd do that but I expect not and I'll end up in Yellow.

If so, I can video you as I pass you , in stead of you passing me all the time
I wouldn't get your hopes up. The reason I can't make it this year is that I'm between cars at the moment and don't think I'll get through break-in in time to commit to this event. My first will probably be June at Mosport.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yep. The most succinct and least headache inducing post in this thread.

Says the guy that argued for years that high rpm operation, or shifting above max HP and toward redline was "often" just "noise".

How soon we forget...
How can your head hurt when we are talking simple physics here?

I gave you the RARE example of when it pays to short shift and the reasons why it PAYS to shift a "nanosecond" before redline.

YOUR words below, BTW! (so curious, why do you conciede now? what changed ? )

And, let me also note that by quoting our small discussion below, I'm not poking fun at you... the argument you make is common, and the reasoning in the argument is useful for those that want to understand why .to shift at redline, and how this maximizes available HP for acceleration at any vehicle speed.

Last edited by mark kibort; 01-22-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Mark, you're ruining my moment! Why do you have to ruin everything?!

I just wanted to feel special and loved for once. Validated. Like my opinion mattered.

Now its ruined!

Thanks Mark.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

NO, you are loved and validated!! I thought it was a great post!!

VR was right when he complemented on you capturing the sheer essecnce of the thread.............
I just thought it was ironic for Dave to validate your summation, considering how much of a pain he has been RUINING my threads with mis-information on the topic.

Mk

Mark, you're ruining my moment! Why do you have to ruin everything?!

I just wanted to feel special and loved for once. Validated. Like my opinion mattered.

Now its ruined!

Thanks Mark.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Shut the **** up, Mark. In many cars, shifting above HP peak is sub optimal. So? Luigi's post still remains the most succinct here.

Go play in traffic.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort

Says the guy that argued for years that high rpm operation, or shifting above max HP and toward redline was "often" just "noise".

How soon we forget...
How can your head hurt when we are talking simple physics here?

I gave you the RARE example of when it pays to short shift and the reasons why it PAYS to shift a "nanosecond" before redline.

YOUR words below, BTW! (so curious, why do you conciede now? what changed ? )

And, let me also note that by quoting our small discussion below, I'm not poking fun at you... the argument you make is common, and the reasoning in the argument is useful for those that want to understand why .to shift at redline, and how this maximizes available HP for acceleration at any vehicle speed.

This post really makes it confusing.
I had just determined to set shift light at 6800, leaving room from reaction for car to be shifted at 6900-7000.
Now, I am thinking that is too high of rpm.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Shut the **** up, Mark. In many cars, shifting above HP peak is sub optimal. So? Luigi's post still remains the most succinct here.

Go play in traffic.
Again, you still show your ignorance. Never is shifting past HP peak "sub optimal". never never never! You clearly dont understand. this is universally known. (except for you for some reason) Keep it to yourself, until you think you can provide an example.
Hint: it's none of the cars you have ever been in, especially no BMWs, are ever to be shifted short of redline for optimal performance (sans the old e30 325e stroker low rev'er)

Do you want to know why Dave? well, its because of the average HP ALWAYS being higher past max HP . its just a mathematical/physics fact... the ONLY question is how FAR past Max HP do you want to go? (i.e. a little past max HP or all the way to redline?) Point is, your statement is patently incorrect at all levels.

Now, let this be the end of it... and if you have a car that shows sub optimal performance, please post the dyno graph. other wise, it is you that needs to "shut the xxxx-up".

And yes, I've been playing in traffic...... it's what i do!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

This post really makes it confusing.
I had just determined to set shift light at 6800, leaving room from reaction for car to be shifted at 6900-7000.
Now, I am thinking that is too high of rpm.
Why does it make it "more confusing" . it should validate that you are doing the exact right thing. shifting near redline is what you need to do, and what most need to do to extract the most amount of accelerative forces post shift.. Quite simply, you want the hp level to be equal or less , POST SHIFT, than you shift at. this means, in most all cases at redline (or near redline) here are few exceptions to shifting at redline, but I've posted one of them.........However, always always always past peak HP is the best place to shift. the place to shift past peak hp is determined by maximizing the average HP. sometimes redline sometimes just before redline.

why do you think your setting of the shift light is too high based on what you read above?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

again... just show us one...... and ill go away and never come back to this thread! .............................as i thought... full of it, aren't you!
this has got to be the MOST ignorant and incorrect post ever made in the history of racing! sadly, dave, you actually believe this and you couldnt be more wrong.
HINT: (yet again) the meat of the "torque curve" means nothing.. Everyone that has a half a brain or more has figured this out by now..............but you.

Dave here is a pretty good video describing the math and physics of where to shift. a HP video would have been easier and shorter, but this gives the actual foundation of what im trying to explain to you . and it clearly shows, why most all car would be shifted past max HP and when to shift before redline. (as i pointed out in my earlier graph)

Quick Reply: What are correct shift points ?