Sponsored by:

Tracking on slicks in the winter - sidewall cracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Thanks guys! I'd be very happy with 15 HCs.
Depending on your car, mix of tracks, and driving style, up to 20 decent cycles are realistic with properly broken in DH's. They are a wonderful tire, and quite forgiving (for a full slick). Astounding grip. Rewards a smooth, precise driving style.

R7 is actually an excellent tire...but if you go DH and learn to drive them, you'll never go back
Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Depending on your car, mix of tracks, and driving style, up to 20 decent cycles are realistic with properly broken in DH's. They are a wonderful tire, and quite forgiving (for a full slick). Astounding grip. Rewards a smooth, precise driving style.

R7 is actually an excellent tire...but if you go DH and learn to drive them, you'll never go back
Aside from visually inspecting the "wear dots" across the tire width and slowly watching them get less deep, what's the best way to gauge the DH's remaining life? Butt dyno method?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just in case anyone had a track day coming up and runs NT01's like I do...

https://www.nittotire.com/media/4102...r-climates.pdf
Old 01-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Aside from visually inspecting the "wear dots" across the tire width and slowly watching them get less deep, what's the best way to gauge the DH's remaining life? Butt dyno method?
Yep, unless you have a durometer.
Whenever it seems you just can't warm them up enough to start biting...they're done
Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Durometer, make sure you're consistent on how you measure with it though.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a durometer, and it has been all over the place. Bottom line is how the car feels. Besides, the handling of the car is going to be the way you calibrate the durometer anyway, meaning what threshold you will use to say the tire is toast. I've corded DHs. I think they can (sometimes) have useable life right up until the end. It depends how they were used , both before and after you get them, and that is the downside of take-offs.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what experience has the group seen with R7's at cold temps. I know Hoosier says keep them above 40 degrees. that said, I've seen people run them regularly in upper 20's and 30's. Are the hearty enough to run those temps or are these people just lucky.

Quick Reply: Tracking on slicks in the winter - sidewall cracks