Sponsored by:

Tracking on slicks in the winter - sidewall cracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Tracking on slicks in the winter - sidewall cracks

Ran at Barber this past weekend with temps in the 20s and 30s all weekend. I try to level off around 27psi hot, but started in the 30s to try to avoid any issues. Ended up with a personal best lap time but also noticed these cracks on Pirelli DHs late in the day. Looks like this is the only one of the four. I'm guessing this one is done. Anyone else with this experience?

Name:  jYMDG7C.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  752.1 KB

4k video here if your bandwidth can handle it. Turn it up!

Attachment 1351818
Old 01-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Wayyyy too cold for those tires
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Ran at Barber this past weekend with temps in the 20s and 30s all weekend. I try to level off around 27psi hot, but started in the 30s to try to avoid any issues. Ended up with a personal best lap time but also noticed these cracks on Pirelli DHs late in the day. Looks like this is the only one of the four. I'm guessing this one is done.
They are all done! You were really chancing it on those tires at those temperatures plus you got very lucky. Don't run them under 40 deg F.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wayyyy too cold for those tires
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
They are all done! You were really chancing it on those tires at those temperatures plus you got very lucky. Don't run them under 40 deg F.
Thanks guys.... noob move it seems. Now I know.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Thanks guys.... noob move it seems. Now I know.
It's all good. Thanks for posting your experience. FWIW - Pirelli also warns about not letting tires freeze during transport.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lucky GeoJoe
Old 01-15-2018, 06:09 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Tough this time of year. I did the same 3 years ago at VIR in late October. Those cracks can look nasty. This year, I brought the tires to the track ( 12 hr drive) in the back seat of my truck, and kept the trailer heated overnight with 2 small electric heaters. Mounted them in the morning, and I was good to go. But...what a PITA!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Lucky GeoJoe
Yeah, I guess so. I've been tracking for 5 yrs+, but this is my first year on slicks.

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Tough this time of year. I did the same 3 years ago at VIR in late October. Those cracks can look nasty. This year, I brought the tires to the track ( 12 hr drive) in the back seat of my truck, and kept the trailer heated overnight with 2 small electric heaters. Mounted them in the morning, and I was good to go. But...what a PITA!
Sounds like a dedicated track guy here with a plan. I knew to keep an eye on them, which is how I noticed after the last session. Next time I'll take the set up to the warm hotel room with me.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Were many people out driving? I was supposed to be there in my RS last weekend too, but a snow storm hit up here in Southern Indiana on Friday morning, The roads were awful, I couldn't get my trailer safely out. Just curious if many people showed up. The entry list was pretty full!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
Were many people out driving? I was supposed to be there in my RS last weekend too, but a snow storm hit up here in Southern Indiana on Friday morning, The roads were awful, I couldn't get my trailer safely out. Just curious if many people showed up. The entry list was pretty full!
A good crowd still showed up...prob half to 2/3 full. It was biting cold on Sat with the wind...better on Sunday. Here's a few laps chasing a Radical through traffic with tricky sun late in the day.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Joe, I called Hoosier and And spoke to their tech rep about running in cold weather. He said you can run slicks down to 40° but you have to be real careful warming them up. Hey said cracks are usually caused by dropping or miss handling the tire while really cold. tire can be run at 40° or colder as long as they’re given many laps to warm up. Also trailering the car in very cold weather he said was OK. It’s Miss handling the tire he said causes issues. He also wondered why we need to run in this cold weather anyhow :-) I am going to AMP Sunday, I can’t remember if you’re a member if not I can take you but it’s $250.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:15 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you like Pirelli DH's? Any thoughts compared to Hoosier R7 or Michelin Cup 2. I'm going to try take off DH's this year.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hughp3
Hey Joe, I called Hoosier and And spoke to their tech rep about running in cold weather. He said you can run slicks down to 40° but you have to be real careful warming them up. Hey said cracks are usually caused by dropping or miss handling the tire while really cold. tire can be run at 40° or colder as long as they’re given many laps to warm up. Also trailering the car in very cold weather he said was OK. It’s Miss handling the tire he said causes issues. He also wondered why we need to run in this cold weather anyhow :-) I am going to AMP Sunday, I can’t remember if you’re a member if not I can take you but it’s $250.
Big thanks for the research here and I really appreciate the invite to AMP! I'm not a member (yet) and unfortunately my schedule is packed this weekend. Funny, we had a low of 15 degrees last weekend, got an inch of snow in Atlanta and this Sat it will be sunny and 61! Time to take out the boat.

I gave these slicks plenty of laps to warm up and checked PSI often. After a session I'd come into the paddock and then wait for another hour or so for my next session to start. During this time the tires would cool down considerably and I'd drive into the next session with what seemed like flat spots on all four. This would fade after a lap, but I'm wondering if this is when the crack developed on that one.

He also wondered why we need to run in this cold weather anyhow - did you tell him that we were all track-addicted and will do whatever it takes to go fast?

Originally Posted by consolidated
How do you like Pirelli DH's? Any thoughts compared to Hoosier R7 or Michelin Cup 2. I'm going to try take off DH's this year.
I really like the DH's, but only getting about 15 sessions on a set before they get loose... so that's about 3 track days. I don't have much experience comparing them to the Hoosiers, but the MC2 is so expensive for a new set that I'm going to beat up on the track. Although take-offs are so much cheaper, it seems harder to find a consistent source with the right sizes.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:40 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
DH are better than R7, and WAYYY better than Cup 2's. They don't last long especially as takeoffs. They are really sticky for the first 3-4 HC's then start to fall off. I usually get about 15 sessions before they are dead. They break away more abruptly than DOT track tires but they have a lot more lateral and longitudinal traction.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:49 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys! I'd be very happy with 15 HCs.

Quick Reply: Tracking on slicks in the winter - sidewall cracks