Sponsored by:

How to deal with new NASA TT and ST AVG HP rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Agreed, the rules completely ignore the potency of a C5 or C6 Corvette and never are the rules such to level the playing field. For example tire width rules only applies to rear tires. So you only get points back if you run skinny rears. Huh? Last I checked Wider tires were a benefit at either end of the car. So corvettes run 315 in the front. Some even 335's. You can't even fit those on most vehicles yet they give no concession for smaller fronts. I ran 245's for years. 315s are a full 3 inches Wider in section width, which is what NASA uses now 2.5 inches Wider than my current 275's. How is that not considered an advantage? And I'm talking about bone stock Z06's can run those.

The Corvettes win everything and they seem to want to make sure nothing challenges them. Especially a 911. Trust me, its equally frustrating. I win, but because I'm driving my car much closer to it's limit than most I compete against. But I've driven some competitors cars that I know would smoke my car given equal effort. I've thought about jumping ship to overdog but that would be too easy. I like a challenge. Plus I don't want the accompanying lack of reliability.

BTW cup cars have a penalty of .4 which would be about 35 whp on a 3000 lbs car or 225 lbs for a 450 whp car.

That's assuming both on DOT, which is a big hamstring for Cups.
yeah, there are some things that just dont seem fair. (tires, and the weight/ hp/weight penalty) . I do know that the cup cars in WC could carry near 200lbs of rewards weight and they still could be in the front of the pack, even on the 245 305 tire combination (DOTs) Losing 35hp is bad too, probably worse due to aero force costs as a % of HP.
I agree, there are many ways we can go, but im with you on the challenge. it's more satisfying when you know your driving is making up for the majority of how well you do.

I guess this is the type of discussion that makes the sport so interesting. never bored thinking about all the possibilities.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:24 PM
texlbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, the rules completely ignore the potency of a C5 or C6 Corvette and never are the rules such to level the playing field. For example tire width rules only applies to rear tires. So you only get points back if you run skinny rears. Huh? Last I checked Wider tires were a benefit at either end of the car. So corvettes run 315 in the front. Some even 335's. You can't even fit those on most vehicles yet they give no concession for smaller fronts. I ran 245's for years. 315s are a full 3 inches Wider in section width, which is what NASA uses now 2.5 inches Wider than my current 275's. How is that not considered an advantage? And I'm talking about bone stock Z06's can run those.

The Corvettes win everything and they seem to want to make sure nothing challenges them. Especially a 911. Trust me, its equally frustrating. I win, but because I'm driving my car much closer to it's limit than most I compete against. But I've driven some competitors cars that I know would smoke my car given equal effort. I've thought about jumping ship to overdog but that would be too easy. I like a challenge. Plus I don't want the accompanying lack of reliability.

BTW cup cars have a penalty of .4 which would be about 35 whp on a 3000 lbs car or 225 lbs for a 450 whp car.

That's assuming both on DOT, which is a big hamstring for Cups.
Looking at the 2018 rules, I dont't think the 996 and 997 cup cars carry any penalty for ST1 or ST2. Am I missing something?

"Porsche 996 GT3 Cup & 997 GT3 Cup = -0.0 (ST1 & ST2 only) (may have additional Aero mods)"
Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texlbs
Looking at the 2018 rules, I dont't think the 996 and 997 cup cars carry any penalty for ST1 or ST2. Am I missing something?

"Porsche 996 GT3 Cup & 997 GT3 Cup = -0.0 (ST1 & ST2 only) (may have additional Aero mods)"
Doesn't look like they do any more. And the 991 only carries a .2 mod factor. The 996's don't really need one. 997's would take a sequential penalty ad more than likely slicks. Those are not out of reach of a well prepped C5 or C6 Corvette.

That reminds me Kirbort, the old World Challenge cups were not stock cup cars, from what I remember they had all RSR parts on a cup body. Because do t forget, they had the cup challenge running all those years too and those stock cup cars weren't nearly as fast, and had quick drives.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Doesn't look like they do any more. And the 991 only carries a .2 mod factor. The 996's don't really need one. 997's would take a sequential penalty ad more than likely slicks. Those are not out of reach of a well prepped C5 or C6 Corvette.

That reminds me Kirbort, the old World Challenge cups were not stock cup cars, from what I remember they had all RSR parts on a cup body. Because do t forget, they had the cup challenge running all those years too and those stock cup cars weren't nearly as fast, and had quick drives.
correct, the GT3 cup cars in WCGT all had the "motorsport engine upgrade" package. the early cups were in the 360rwhp and the upgraded versions were in the 420+rwhp range. I remember one pro team where their upgaded car was not available for the race, so they ran the stock cup for that year. it was much slower. the WCGT C5 vets and others were well over 500hp at the time!

Quick Reply: How to deal with new NASA TT and ST AVG HP rules