Sponsored by:

how many of you are heat cycling your R7's

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default how many of you are heat cycling your R7's

per hoosier, I think they recommend a 24 hour cool down period.

I've done it on the first 2 sets I used, but an upcoming event is going to make swapping after first use tough. Are any of you just installing fresh tires and running the weekend? Results compared to a cycled tire?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1

I've done it on the first 2 sets I used, but an upcoming event is going to make swapping after first use tough. Are any of you just installing fresh tires and running the weekend? Results compared to a cycled tire?
The main difference is actually in the longevity of the tire. In the ideal case, you’d run them for 15 minutes without scrubbing them and bringing them up to temperature slowly and then put them on the shelf for 24 hours. What seems to happen is that all the oils and traction elements seem to get locked. When you have a brand new tire a lot of the cross linking is not complete which is why they are initially really soft. If you overdo the initial heat cycle, a lot of the traction elements will leave the tire and you are left with a really hard tire. If you don’t care about how many heat cycles the tires last, then just go for it.

You can’t always do that so bringing them up to heat slowly when new for a short session works too. I’ve been running Hoosier, Yokohamas and Pirellis and that’s been my experience.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1

many do and dont suffer any ill effects. i still believe in the 24 hour rest period on the initial heat cycle. i just started using new tires, and qualify on them..... but not excessive amounts of time. (maybe 5-7 laps with 2 fast qual laps). then i let them sit for 24 hours in time for the following day's race. however, there are those that have qualified and then raced a few hours later with no adverse effects. i think, especially with R7s that usually heat cycle out before they show cords, its not going to be a big deal. how they are stored and how they are driven , are probably more important.
in my last weekends race, several guys ran stickers in qual, only to race on them later that same day. i dont think they had any issues, and wont have any issues of life or grip over the next 10 heat cycles.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

If there is tread left in the tire I still run them. Everyone needs to learn how to drive with varying levels of grip so to me old tires are a lesson. Plus its cheaper on my wallet!

As for heat cycling? In a perfect world it would be great to do but I never get the opportunity to do it.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:11 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Like others, assuming the logistics are feasible, I scrub them for 4-5 laps then let them sit for 24 hours. Seems to enhance the longevity but I have no data to back that up.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:39 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

I am just going to repeat what I was told. I am not a tire expert. However, I trust the knowledge of Spencer ***, the owner of Speed Sport Tuning. He has been racing and working on cars for over 4 decades.

What Spencer said is basically what Frank said above, but he emphasized the second point. Heating then resting tires alters the chemical nature of the tire and they become harder and therefore last longer, BUT they lose grip compared to a softer tire. So, heat and then cool if you want long lasting tires. Just go out and use the tire if you want maximum grip throughout the life of the tire.

Anyways, that's what I was told.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting - never heard this. I have a brand new set of R7 stickers in my garage, ready for next season. Will be my first time on such a tire.

I live out in the country. Think it's possible to get this initial cycle + 24 hour wait period over with *on the street*?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The main difference is actually in the longevity of the tire. In the ideal case, youÂ’d run them for 15 minutes without scrubbing them and bringing them up to temperature slowly and then put them on the shelf for 24 hours. What seems to happen is that all the oils and traction elements seem to get locked. When you have a brand new tire a lot of the cross linking is not complete which is why they are initially really soft. If you overdo the initial heat cycle, a lot of the traction elements will leave the tire and you are left with a really hard tire. If you donÂ’t care about how many heat cycles the tires last, then just go for it.

You canÂ’t always do that so bringing them up to heat slowly when new for a short session works too. IÂ’ve been running Hoosier, Yokohamas and Pirellis and thatÂ’s been my experience.
Spot on
Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

All the things I do wrong:

I don't season my brake rotors
I don't bed-in brake pads
I use auto-x tires on road courses
I don't rest/season my new tires
I under-inflate my tires
when legal I'll hand cut a dry tire to use as an "inter"
my rains are narrower than my drys
Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
All the things I do wrong:

I don't season my brake rotors
I don't bed-in brake pads
I use auto-x tires on road courses
I don't rest/season my new tires
I under-inflate my tires
when legal I'll hand cut a dry tire to use as an "inter"
my rains are narrower than my drys
same here on most points. I run TT's - I can't sacrifice that sticker magic lap just to get 2 extra HC's on the back end.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Interesting - never heard this. I have a brand new set of R7 stickers in my garage, ready for next season. Will be my first time on such a tire.

I live out in the country. Think it's possible to get this initial cycle + 24 hour wait period over with *on the street*?
Not sure what your low outdoor low temperature is but do not let the R7 be subjected to temperatures below 32F. If so, the R7 becomes very hard and useless.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The main difference is actually in the longevity of the tire. In the ideal case, you’d run them for 15 minutes without scrubbing them and bringing them up to temperature slowly and then put them on the shelf for 24 hours. What seems to happen is that all the oils and traction elements seem to get locked. When you have a brand new tire a lot of the cross linking is not complete which is why they are initially really soft. If you overdo the initial heat cycle, a lot of the traction elements will leave the tire and you are left with a really hard tire. If you don’t care about how many heat cycles the tires last, then just go for it.

You can’t always do that so bringing them up to heat slowly when new for a short session works too. I’ve been running Hoosier, Yokohamas and Pirellis and that’s been my experience.
^^This^^
Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Not sure what your low outdoor low temperature is but do not let the R7 be subjected to temperatures below 32F. If so, the R7 becomes very hard and useless.
The garage is heated... and the R7s are in the basement.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Spot on
Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^This^^
I'm not sure I understand. Is what Spencer told me incorrect? How does one "over do" the initial heat cycle? Getting the tires hotter than recommended? If you go out with new tires and just race are those tires then hard and have less grip than tires that have been heat cycled once and rested?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried it both ways- Never saw a difference. I just run them now without Heat Cycling.

Quick Reply: how many of you are heat cycling your R7's