Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:11 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Great looking car, one of these days I'm going to switch from a street car to a SR3.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Great looking car, one of these days I'm going to switch from a street car to a SR3.
thanks so much
you will be thrilled from day 1!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Why isn't there a full windscreen on the SR3, fully protecting the head from debris projectiles? The thought of getting hit in the helmet by a large rock at 150mph doesn't sound appealing -- not to mention a metal/mechanical part off of another car.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Why isn't there a full windscreen on the SR3, fully protecting the head from debris projectiles? The thought of getting hit in the helmet by a large rock at 150mph doesn't sound appealing -- not to mention a metal/mechanical part off of another car.

I understand your concern, but I can tell you that in the four years I have been tracking my Radical it has never been an issue. Your helmet certainly gets hit by debris but it is mostly excess tire rubber and small stones. I have never been hit by anything that concerned me... although in the spring bug splats can be sort of comical. You will notice that the front of your helmet and face shield get pitted over time. For a few years I just replaced replaced my face shield when it got pitted...then I started using tear offs and put clear bra on the front of my helmet and that has done a great job of protecting the helmet.

Her is a shot of my helmet with the clear bra and tear offs

Old 01-23-2018, 03:36 PM
seanseidman
Pro

[QUOTE=CharleyH;14749878]

I understand your concern, but I can tell you that in the four years I have been tracking my Radical it has never been an issue. Your helmet certainly gets hit by debris but it is mostly excess tire rubber and small stones. I have never been hit by anything that concerned me... although in the spring bug splats can be sort of comical. You will notice that the front of your helmet and face shield get pitted over time. For a few years I just replaced replaced my face shield when it got pitted...then I started using tear offs and put clear bra on the front of my helmet and that has done a great job of protecting the helmet.
+1 Has not been an issue in my experience racing and lapping the car
Old 01-23-2018, 05:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

My main concern would not be pits and scratches to the visor and helmet from small debris, but the (admittedly much rarer) bigger hits from larger pieces of rock/gravel or mechanical/metal debris (nuts, bolts, parts) lifted in the air by the car in front. I keep thinking of Senna as I write...

Anecdotes are not very helpful with rare, high-downside events. Is there a statistical study that relates/quantifies the increased risks of sitting lower in an open cockpit (without a windshield) vs. racing in a closed cockpit?

And my question remains, is there a downside to having a windshield in the SR3 or similar open cockpit cars?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:11 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
My main concern would not be pits and scratches to the visor and helmet from small debris, but the (admittedly much rarer) bigger hits from larger pieces of rock/gravel or mechanical/metal debris (nuts, bolts, parts) lifted in the air by the car in front. I keep thinking of Senna as I write...

Anecdotes are not very helpful with rare, high-downside events. Is there a statistical study that relates/quantifies the increased risks of sitting lower in an open cockpit (without a windshield) vs. racing in a closed cockpit?

And my question remains, is there a downside to having a windshield in the SR3 or similar open cockpit cars?
the cars arrive as they are
perhaps that can be a question you address with Radical
our speeds are significantly slower than f1 or Indy, thus reducing the velocity of an impact
fwiw, i spent lots of time on youtube looking at radical accidents, and talking to long time racers of the cars
I was comfortable
Old 01-23-2018, 09:51 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

There is risk in driving cars at the limits of their capabilities. We each determine the level of Risk that we are comfortable accepting. I suppose there is a possibility that something large enough could hit you with enough force to exceede the impact capabilities of a Racing helmet (that is required to pass stringent Snell certifications), but this seems like an extremely remote Risk. The only example I am aware of was when Massa was hit in the head from a spring that fell off of another car. In a situation like that I would imagine it would have been a problem even if there is a windshield. I am not aware of this ever happening to a Radical driver. I also am not aware of a statistical study on the subject

To to answer your specific question I am sure a windshield could be added if someone really wanted one but It would take some work and would likely affect the cars aerodynamics.

Charley

Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess all motorcycles racers, SCCA Spec racers, HSR racers, Formula mazda, ford and on accept the risk. I thought about it too but decided racing is risky but so is driving thru Atlanta. I guess if you want the safest racer look for an ex-NASCAR ride which would be cool and fast.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the answers. I just read the Snell SA2015 visor testing procedure: 1gram, 5.5mm lead pellet shot at 500km/h into the visor. The weigth seems too small and the speed too high, but overall not too bad. The new, more stringent EA2016 standard sounds interesting though the visor procedure is the same:
http://www.smf.org/stds

When going over crests in light high-downforce cars, do you have to be careful that not too much air goes under the car and lifts it? Do you purposefully slow down for crests to avoid this? How do you know how fast is too fast -- or how much air below is too much?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hf1 - watch some Barber Motorpsorts vids of SR3 racing or radical masters. I have been to Barber and turn 3 is pretty abrupt up and over.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Appreciate the answers.

When going over crests in light high-downforce cars, do you have to be careful that not too much air goes under the car and lifts it? Do you purposefully slow down for crests to avoid this? How do you know how fast is too fast -- or how much air below is too much?

No. Only at the most abrupt crests do you need to even think about any possible unweighting of the car, and the very cars you’re talking about are light, low, wide and the body itself functions as a downforce generator.

The faster you to, the more stick you have. Not like GT cars with stuck-on wings and splitters designed to trim the aero balance in fast cars, because as a percentage of weight, the GT car’s downforce is a fraction of the percentage of the purpose built car’s downforce.

I’ve never seen a properly set up sports racer require ANY sort of speed moderation! Only if the ride height abs rake was totally out in left field would you ever see any lift at Tremblant, VIR Climbing Esses, LRP or any one of dozens of crests in North America, in my experience.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-24-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM
seanseidman
Pro

there is a crest at area 27, which the radical takes flat out (Area 27 Radical onboard on youtube link in signature)
have to open hands once crested and weight returns to front tires
i got the car last summer, and i'm still getting comfortable keeping my foot down
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Are you thinking of that Daytona prototype flipping end over end? The Radical aero is not nearly as aggressive as a DP, so quite frankly someone else will have that accident, not you. The SCCA prototype classes for instance. There are a lot of classes that have more aggressive aero than Radicals.

At a track the things I’d really worry about are getting squashed by a big sedan and running out of talent.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:22 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

No. Only at the most abrupt crests do you need to even think about any possible unweighting of the car, and the very cars you’re talking about are light, low, wide and the body itself functions as a downforce generator.

The faster you to, the more stick you have. Not like GT cars with stuck-on wings and splitters designed to trim the aero balance in fast cars, because as a percentage of weight, the GT car’s downforce is a fraction of the percentage of the purpose built car’s downforce.

I’ve never seen a properly set up sports racer require ANY sort of speed moderation! Only if the ride height abs rake was totally out in left field would you ever see any lift at Tremblant, VIR Climbing Esses, LRP or any one of dozens of crests in North America, in my experience.
+1 Peter.
Have raced there SR3 at many tracks across North America and aero induced lift has never been an issue, especially not at Barber in turn 3 as an example - quite the opposite as the car is on full throttle and loaded nicely coming over that crest. Esses at VIR are flat no problem as an other example even if you do use a bit of curb on the way through.

Turn 1 Sebring (I know its a level turn, but there is a might bump in there), or turn 10 VIR (South Bend, blind downhill left hander) are a little different as they require commitment from the driver to get the maximum performance from the car and some throttle modulation is needed for many.

Quick Reply: How safe is Radical SR3 or new SR1 for DE