Sponsored by:

mixing it up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:01 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default mixing it up?

What is the comparison of how sports racers mix it up vs. tintops? My tintop is like an SUV. I can drive over the tallest apex curbing and be fine. I can't hit the orange bread boxes at COTA but just about have the ground clearance to go over them if forced off. I can drive in the dirt 2 wheels off and control my car and barely lift and come back on track with hardly more than a bump. In a tintop we can rub. Rubbing is racing. How do sportsracers race when they are 1.5" off the ground? When you are given a car width and that puts you on the apex curbing can you drive over most curbs or are you backing out? Can you drive off track and get back on or does that usually mean a new splitter? Do sportsracers have aero issues following other cars like you hear about in F1? Do sportsracers "rub" or is it strictly no touch like open wheels?
Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

"Rubbing is Racing" should get you an extra couple pages...
Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I kinda like the no contact, stay on track premise for racing. Our WRL car is a real POS in case others have a different view.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I kinda like the no contact, stay on track premise for racing. .
+1
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah. We are "no contact" but the realities are different. There is a lot of pushing and shoving like a black friday 70% off sale. What isn't solved on track often gets solved by stewards if parties involved are still swinging. Do sportsracers race with more level heads? I assume open wheelers do because I see less open wheel incidents and the penalty for locking wheels is high. But sportsracers have fenders...
Old 01-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Yeah. We are "no contact" but the realities are different. There is a lot of pushing and shoving like a black friday 70% off sale. What isn't solved on track often gets solved by stewards if parties involved are still swinging. Do sportsracers race with more level heads? I assume open wheelers do because I see less open wheel incidents and the penalty for locking wheels is high. But sportsracers have fenders...
Probably why Spec Miatas do not have splitter. Any surface is a racing surface.

Quick Reply: mixing it up?