Sponsored by:

Is PCA always this crass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
It's like this. The area the track is in is Zone 8. One of the better Zones when it comes to Driving Events. Flinging Scat in a Forum and not helping at the track is not helping. My suggestion go to another event before opening your mouth. San Diego, Orange County, Grand Prix all run great events.
Nope. This is not about Zone 8 or how great it is at other tracks. It's a very concise indictment of, well, we watched the videos.

Pffft.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 115 Posts

As a follow-up, in the events I have attended with sport racers, there is an acknowledgment that they will corner (blisteringly) faster but otherwise may not be able to hand signal in the usual way. Those driving touring cars are usually conscious to watch mirrors and not impede SR traffic.

This situation was a strange juxtaposition - the touring car can't get a pass because the sports racer can't see him?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Have a question. Do pca events during the day sing out the national anthem? Mike
Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, apparently John the track owner is a dipsh*t. Parking in the corners, no point by's, and brake checking?? VR's posts said it all.

The berating recorded on video is... shameful. If the driver had actually done something wrong that's one thing, but (Non-PC mode) don't be a ******** just because you think you're in control and are drunk with your own ego. For those who said they haven't seen similar in NE regions: I have, in a few different regions (though perhaps not as bad as this scenario). And I know of dozens of people who agree. Fortunately, many of those a-hole types have now been phased out of their managerial positions. Just sayin'.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Best part of the video: "can you pay for that $240,000 race car?"

"Yes"

Pow!!!
YES!

I started laughing so hard because you could tell the pit chief had no idea what to say. It knocked off his flow and he took a second to find his feet again. That was by far my favorite part of the entire vid. Someone should edit it down to just that part and add in the thug life fade out when the guy started stumbling his words.

I only saw on part where he got too close to the radical and it really seemed like he got brake checked because of how abrupt the braking was on corner entry. The radical could clearly have carried way more speed into the corner but instead slammed on his brakes which was very unpredictable. Other than that one instance he was giving the guy plenty of room.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I miss the good ole days where you'd let the engine warm up a bit , look around the track, let the tires get round again and wave at the corner workers the first lap out.

Now drivers try to run you down on the out lap. And then I get black flagged for not pointing guys by who want to lap me by turn three.

PCA has three distinct choices of driving events. The Video 911 in my opinion was way out out of line for a DE. Staying off the tail of another driver is part of a DE in PCA.

Last edited by Manda Racing; 09-27-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:01 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched the whole Vid. WTF Bossman LOL. Tailgating did not see that. Driver was beyond respectful,IMO. This is not the PCA I know in the Northeast. Bossman if you think this driver is out of line don't come to WGlen with CVR DE, you head will spin. There is no aggression in that Vid.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 AM
js997
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watched the whole session video. looks like there were 3 egotistical ********* that day. 2 from LVR PCA and the track owner (the biggest ******** of them all).

did anyone notice the corner worker standing with the black flag at the edge of the track with no protective barrier whatsoever?? poor guy was probably just doing what he was told...by the track owner who i assume has a radio in the LMP.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a different take. Firstly, let's get the unprofessional of the organizers and the track owner out of the way. That's just not acceptable.

With that said, if there were clear instructions in the drivers meeting that if get stuck behind someone who refuses to give you a point by, to come in, run though the hot pits, build a gap and go back out again, then it's pretty clear what you should do.

If you're stuck behind someone for multiple laps, you're not making much progress anyhow so come in, build a gap and go back out. This is pretty universal instruction at every track day I've been to for the point by groups.

After the session, report that driver and in this case find out that it's the track owner with his own set of rules and go on with your day.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
It's like this. The area the track is in is Zone 8. One of the better Zones when it comes to Driving Events. Flinging Scat in a Forum and not helping at the track is not helping. My suggestion go to another event before opening your mouth. San Diego, Orange County, Grand Prix all run great events.
For a first timer to see this type of treatment by the "staff", you can bet there's no way they're going to HELP OUT at the track! They're going to be turned off from ever participating again, let alone getting involved and helping out in any way. Hell, I don't care if I'm a seasoned track vet, professional driver or newb. If I'm treated like that, the driving gloves are coming off! Were you one of the two guys that are in the vid berating the driver?
Originally Posted by Manda Racing
I miss the good ole days where you'd let the engine warm up a bit , look around the track, let the tires get round again and wave at the corner workers the first lap out.

Now drivers try to run you down on the out lap. And then I get black flagged for not pointing guys by who want to lap me by turn three.

PCA has three distinct choices of driving events. The Video 911 in my opinion was way out out of line for a DE. Staying off the tail of another driver is part of a DE in PCA.
The 911 driver did absolutely nothing wrong. Infact, he practiced great restraint for being chastised by the staff even though they were clearly in the wrong. You sound like either you're one of the two d-bags in the vid or you're one of those drivers camped out in the left lane on the freeway with your left blinker on doing 50 in a 65 zone.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
But I agree: the condescending attitude of the organizers is highly disturbing
^^This^^
Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

PCA has no business offering DE events at places where the owner is a f'ing a'hole and has a contract like that.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 695 Likes on 337 Posts

Driver sad to see you dealing with this situation and saddest of all that it is at a PCA event. As a past CTI here in Florida at the Sebring track I was as were my predecessors and those CTIs that came after me very careful about our conversations with drivers who required speaking to. First at black flag I only reminded driver of items violated that were discussed at morning driver meeting. If there was a longer conversation needed I asked driver to come see me on foot at black flag following his/her session to discuss issue in private and not by trying to yell through car window during a session. The problem here seems to be the fact that track "owner" had different rules than all other participants and PCA officials rented track with that understanding and support. If so that MUST be explained at driver meeting. I would also refer that regions DE organizers to review the PCA minimum standards that are published on the national web site. I think there might have been a violation of those minimum standards when owner "gave rides" depending who was in car with owner for these rides. Oh by the way we here have a female CTI and she does a great job but of course we do require her to get all the male instructors coffee before the driver meeting after all she is a girl
Rich
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello,
To original poster,
As a longtime advanced instructor in my PCA region, I want to personally apologize for what you endured there that weekend. I would like to assure you that's not what we want extended or representing the club. We are excited to have new participants and would love for you to give us another chance.

If you are ever in DFW, I would be glad to teach you privately for a day using one of my spec miatas.

Please let me know if you are coming this way and I will make the needed arrangements.

Once again, I hope I am speaking for our whole club where we pride ourselves on...

"Its not the cars, it's the people!"

Please allow us another opportunity to show You, we say what we mean and we mean what we say.

I am so sorry!

Glen Gatlin

Believe

Racing

At

G

Mail

Dot

Com
Old 09-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
With that said, if there were clear instructions in the drivers meeting that if get stuck behind someone who refuses to give you a point by, to come in, run though the hot pits, build a gap and go back out again, then it's pretty clear what you should do.

If you're stuck behind someone for multiple laps, you're not making much progress anyhow so come in, build a gap and go back out. This is pretty universal instruction at every track day I've been to for the point by groups.
He wasn't exactly stuck behind the guy. After the first few initial brake checks the LMP car was keeping some distance between them but still clearly under-driving the car. The driver taking the video was able to push it relatively hard for most of the session. Usually the best times I have on DE days are when I find a car I can just keep up with or am barely faster than and we play chase like this. Usually it's fun and from the video it didn't sound like the driver was agitated with the LMP car. He was probably having a good time. He said nothing in car at all that we could hear and he wasn't making hand signals that we could see to show he was frustrated.

Quick Reply: Is PCA always this crass?