Sponsored by:

12 hours of Summit Point on Speed Channel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 12 hours of Summit Point on Speed Channel

There is a documentary on Speed Channel this weekend that covers a team as it competes in the 12-Hours of Summit Point. I don't know which team. I just got an email from a friend who races a BMW and ran this race.

It on Saturday Dec 6 (tomorrow) at 9pm
Replay on Monday Dec 8 at 11pm.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:28 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I watched it last night, not bad, but would have liked to see much more racing and less crew time. I would have liked to see more of the 993, but at least they followed a Porsche (951). They need to do something with those brakes!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

saw that too!! sounds like the pads were not up to the task, or the driver was riding the brakes. Ive even run the old 79 928 with stock brakes and mintex pads with out any real issues. The guys in the pits may not have learned how to blead brakes either! (or maybe there really was a problem, like a master cylinder issue)

bottom line, if there are major brake issues on a porsche, something is usually wrong. Stock stuff is quite good, especially with a set of pagid's.

cool footage of the race, but I agree. more racing, less pit stuff.

24hours, gezzz, thats a long time to be beating on a car. what, an entire season of wear in one day!! if im going to sacrafice a car, it better be some no-name class in Lemans!!!!

Mk

Originally posted by forklift
I watched it last night, not bad, but would have liked to see much more racing and less crew time. I would have liked to see more of the 993, but at least they followed a Porsche (951). They need to do something with those brakes!
Old 12-09-2003, 01:14 AM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Later on in the documentary they mentioned that the turbo was boiling the fluid in the master cylinder. The rotors and pads were fine. The placement of the turbo in proximity to the master cylinder seemed flawed. Of course the car was not ment to run for 12 hours straight in racing conditions. Souds like they need to develope some kind of heat shied.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I watched the second showing last night. I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoyed the pit stuff. With a limited budget, I'm sure the video crew didn't have the resources of FOX or SPEED to put cameras at every corner. The video of the racing seemed much like my own home video of local races-limited to the corner you were sitting at that moment and from only one angle. However, squeezing a 12 hour race into less than an hour for tv and building a story around the car, drivers and crew, was pretty well done. I've raced with Jeff and Harry, so it was especially interesting to watch. I may be mistaken, but I believe that race was not the 2003, but rather the 2002. Didn't the 2003 race actually have to stop for an hour or so because of torrential rain this year?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Carrera51
Race Car

Manny:
I think it was this year's race. I read the write up in Grassroots after the event. Dave Coleman and Henk Wisker lead pretty much wire to wire in Henks 993 Cup Car. I guess the giveaway would be whose name was on the Summit Point store. Remember when they did the awards presentation? Did the sign in the background say OG Racing, or Driving Impressions?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mark,
I just checked the Washington Region SCCA page and it was the 2002 race. This year Harry Kintzi was driving a spec Miata in PSM (Pro Spec Miata?). 2003 was the second consecutive overall win for the Wisker 993 Cup car. The second place ITS Miata was only 2 laps behind
Old 12-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Later on in the documentary they mentioned that the turbo was boiling the fluid in the master cylinder. The rotors and pads were fine. The placement of the turbo in proximity to the master cylinder seemed flawed. Of course the car was not ment to run for 12 hours straight in racing conditions. Souds like they need to develope some kind of heat shied.

The placement of the turbo by the factory is near the reservoir under the intake and about 4 inches from the reservoir heat shield. There is a heat shield there, it does not do that great a job. The car was designed to race (GTR cars were available as well as IMSA versions and numerous other 951 variants).
Old 12-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Manny:
Back to back overall wins for the Wisker/Coleman 993 Cup. We're not worthy, we're not worthy.

I thought it was cool seeing people we know on TV. I wonder why they waited over a year to show the documentary.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tchandler
Of course the car was not ment to run for 12 hours straight in racing conditions. Souds like they need to develope some kind of heat shied.
IIRC, the 944 'introduced' to the world as a 924GT Prototype when it ran at the 24 hours of LeMans.

-Z.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:02 PM
DCLee
Pro

I know and like Harry Kintzi (and he's a heck of a racer), but I have to say that this documentary tested my ability to stay up late and watch things like European tractor races and such. The cheesy production values and constant talking-head yakking reminded me of a low-budget Sixties-era feature such as "On Any Sunday." ZZZZzzzzzzz...

Lee in D.C.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of my point to Z-Man.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt H
Kind of my point to Z-Man.
Indeed.

-Z.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:06 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I enjoyed the feature!

I believe that the docudrama was produced by Harry's son.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cought the last 15 min last night, pretty cool.

A little Swain's White Lightning on the exhaust and turbine housing and some heat wrap around the master cylinder should stop the heat problem.

IMHO

Quick Reply: 12 hours of Summit Point on Speed Channel