Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best dual purpose street/track pad

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

On my old 911 with no power brakes, most PFC race pads were dangerous on the street, almost no brakes. I actually had nightmares about a hard brake pedal with no braking effect. I had to change them out for autocross events.

The 08 pad is different and can stop the car even cold.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks for the mention. yes, bedding solves almost all the problems here. ive done a lot of research and perfected the bedding process and found, new pads will always bed pretty well, regardless of rotor, but a rotor in good shape always assures a good bed in. however, if you change the rotor at a mid pad wear, toss the pads if you are concerned with noise.

stopping power always works better when the brakes are bedded properly.

there are all sorts of techniques to bed pads, on the manufacturers websites, but most all fall short of really doing the job well. if you use my technique, you will be happy. next time, use a rotor that is visiblly flat and no grooved and you will be happy. Also, if you do this with a new rotor, the rotor will have much less of the chance to ever become grooved. it will crack out before it ever gets a groove.

the process is to make the surfaces very familar, and this is tough to do with a very hard pad (i.e. all race pads) a few 100mph to 60 slow downs doesnt even come close to doing the trick. fine if its a race car and you dont care about noise, (and a funny pedal for the first few laps) but not "fine" if you want to really bed the surfaces and end up with noise free brakes and better brakes as well.

Everyone is welcome to PM me for the bedding procedure I've used for 20 years with absolutely no noise for use on the track and street with race pads. (pagid orange, black, ST41, PFC11, 01, EBC orange, etc etc many more. )

Mk

Originally Posted by erko1905
It's probably the furthest thing away from a dual purpose pad but I've been running the Pagid RSL29 yellows this summer both on track (~10 track days) and street and they seem to work just fine.

Tried my best to bed them properly (thanks to Mark) but I put them on old, grooved rotors so I do get a bit of noise on the street, and the stopping power isn't really great when cold but it'll do the job. Nothing beats not worrying about brakes at the track and slowing down on a dime when you need to though.

I was thinking about the Ferodo DS2500 (previously mentioned), which seemed like the best dual purpose pad when I did the research - but they weren't making them for 991 Carreras at the time.

Depends on what you drive obviously but I also found OEM 991 pads are a no go for track.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Opposer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, I'm looking for dual-purpose pads for Cayman 2.9

I dont drive it in winter and don't abuse brakes on public roads (I drive slowly on public roads)

Dealer has DTC-30 in stock. Can they be used on a road or are they track only?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+3 on Ferodo DS2500. These are my street pads but I’ve left them on for DEs at Autoclub Roval (harder on brakes) and Big Willow (easier). In both cases they performed great.

I usually swap DS1.11 for track. Noticeably more bite and less fade than the DS2500, but they are noisy on the street.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Opposer
Guys, I'm looking for dual-purpose pads for Cayman 2.9

I dont drive it in winter and don't abuse brakes on public roads (I drive slowly on public roads)

Dealer has DTC-30 in stock. Can they be used on a road or are they track only?
Web page suggests it's sort of ok on the streets;;;low temperature effective.

DTC-30 is a controllable torque, multi-purpose compound, proven effective in a range of series. It delivers superior release characteristics and smooth pedal feel and initial bite for dirt and circle tracks, NASCAR modified, drag racing, trophy trucks, pro buggies, and more.
  • Consistent, smooth braking
  • Good cold effectiveness
  • All Hawk Performance compounds are not compatible with carbon ceramic rotors. Hawk pads are designed to work with Iron/Metal rotors.
  • Medium torque
  • 100-1200 F operating temperatures
  • 100-800 F optimal temperature range
Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Opposer
Instructor

they don't make ds2500 for cayman 2.9 checked on the official Ferodo site
Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Check with Clark at Apex Performance, call don’t email, and see what he has. I don’t like Hawk as the dust can be very corrosive when it gets wet and seriously damage your rims.

Peter
Old 05-12-2019, 09:27 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

I use PFC11s all the time (street and track on my GT4) and they work very good...they do eat your rotors faster than other pads if you do a lot of track and are mostly suited for short tracks / DEs.
As for noise they are less noisy than the stock Pagids than come on GT cars,
Old 05-12-2019, 09:54 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I just got a 2009 base 2.9 Cayman and from what I've checked it appears that the 2009-2012 Cayman share the same pad shapes front & back, so if they have a 987.2 S fitment it may work for 987.2 base?

Every mfr pad shape may have slight differences so it might not be true all the time, but Clark @ Apex will know.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Opposer
Instructor

Front pads on 987.2 2.9 look like this

they have round "ears" on each side.

Apex proposes these https://apexperformance.net/product/frp-3051h-ds2500/

They didn't fit, they don't have ears. On the left - valid pads, on the right - ferodo ds2500 3051h.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

I leave Ferodo DS1.11 on for track/ street (80%/20%). Used on three different 991 platform cars. Left them in because it isn’t that easy to swap the newer closed top calipers and the mu curve for the DS1.11 is remarkably flat versus operating temperature. It gives consistent initial bite and release over a wide range of street and aggressive track temperatures. It has higher bite and less pedal effort than OEM pads. There is a slight squeak at the last 2-3 ft of street stopping but that never bothered me. They are very rotor friendly. Currently 24 track days on 3rd set of pads and same rotors. Best is a subjective measure but I have been satisfied with them and never felt I needed a better pad.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Like jmartpr I use pfc 11 on my 987.2 boxster s. Car is my street and track car. I leave them in for street and track.

The brake fine summer and winter, street and track.

Only downside: when they are in the mood they squeal on the street.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Best dual purpose street/track pad