Sponsored by:

Real price of CGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Les,

It sounds to me like one more hug and you would have paid $10k extra to paint it super fast Cobalt Blue. It is a proven fact Blue is faster.

I know a way to lessen the burden. Sell me the black 94 S for say $20K and I will throw in a Cobalt Blue 3.6 for free. That should cover the insurance and gas for a year or so and you will have a nice fast blue car to round out your collection.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop your killing me thats to funny.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A car like that I'd be afraid to ever pull out of the driveway - you just know it'd be like having a bullseye painted on it for some errant SUV. If anything ever so much as scratched it, I swear I'd cry like a little girl with a skinned knee!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is aton of money to spend on a care your not sure about, you prolly did the right thing (sorry for the blasphemy). You should just buy a $6k car like me....hell ill give you a deal on mine ....$15k out the door. LOL just playing with ya. Go to the post reply button on the bottom of the thread, go to attach image and send us some pics of your cars!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still waiting for pictures of the sales woman...
Old 04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Destination Charge

Destination Charge
Regular= $2,900
Air freight= $15,000
Old 04-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

OK Les, serious question. If you had to pick one of the cars from your list, which one and why?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Easy, 1997 turbo S.
My 04 GT 2 has not arrived but using my old 02 GT 2, as a basis of comparison if I had to pick one car to keep it would be the 97 turbo S.
To me it's looks capture the best Porsche ever built.
It's interior looks and smells like a Porsche.
When you shut the doors on any pre 996 911 it feels solid.
The 993 turbos combine all the old and new of 40 years of 911.
The 993 turbos can be modified to keep up with any 996.
993 turbos provide more driver feedback than the 996 cars.
993 turbos hold their value.
993 turbo to me is the classic 911.

Also a 993 turbo in standard form is as fast in my opinion as the turbo S. I can't feel the extra 24 HP and the road test support this feeling.

A recent magazine called CAR voted the 993 turbo as the best sportscar ever built.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
mb97tts
Racer

I would have to agree!! That's the one I would keep. Even if it is the only one I have!!!

Marty
Old 04-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

ben in lj, you are local and have a deposit/CGT? Are you willing to give me a ride? I'd really appreciate it! You can have a ride in my 944 Turbo, thats almost an even trade!
~Eyal
Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

the car is scheduled to arrive sometime in november. i'm happy to give rides, but keep in mind they won't be as fun in the first 1k miles owing to the break-in requirements.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Les Quam,

Best summary I ever heard on the 993 TT! You obviously know your cars!

I have a 1996 Ruf Turbo R and friends have supercharged and turbocharged Vipers. All of these cars are very fast (Ruf 128 MPH in the quarter, Vipers 140+).

Me and my wife are still trying to determine if the CGT will blow us away compared to the Ruf. In other words, given that we enjoy acceleration the most (followed by high quality, reliability, looks, and handling, in that order), will the CGT take our breath away? I'm not so sure. The Ruf Turbo R has many of the traits we enjoy in an elegantly simple design.

BTW, these Vipers will take your breath away when accelerating. We just don't like the quality which, for us, also adds to the joy of ownership.

Best regards,

Bill S.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by ben in lj
the car is scheduled to arrive sometime in november. i'm happy to give rides, but keep in mind they won't be as fun in the first 1k miles owing to the break-in requirements.
Ben, I really appreciate that! I'll be in touch with you through this forum so that when YOU are ready, I'll go for a ride. I bet your quite excited about it, that is one amazing car. What color did you order? were there options available? Do you plan on tracking it? Driving on the street at all? Are you even going to be able to bring yourself to take it out of the garage? Sorry about grilling you with the questions, its just that Carrera GT owners (or future owners) don't just walk into your living room that often! thanks!
~Eyal
Old 04-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Bill S.
Les Quam,

Best summary I ever heard on the 993 TT! You obviously know your cars!

I have a 1996 Ruf Turbo R and friends have supercharged and turbocharged Vipers. All of these cars are very fast (Ruf 128 MPH in the quarter, Vipers 140+).

Me and my wife are still trying to determine if the CGT will blow us away compared to the Ruf. In other words, given that we enjoy acceleration the most (followed by high quality, reliability, looks, and handling, in that order), will the CGT take our breath away? I'm not so sure. The Ruf Turbo R has many of the traits we enjoy in an elegantly simple design.

BTW, these Vipers will take your breath away when accelerating. We just don't like the quality which, for us, also adds to the joy of ownership.

Best regards,

Bill S.
If handeling is your last priority, I would say go the Ferrari route, or something like that. (of course Enzo's markup is rediculous, so maybe scratch that) There are plenty of cars that go just as fast, and there are plenty of cars that can be made to go faster. The emphasis on the CGT is turning, and track use. It has less power then the Enzo, it is slower, yet It got a lower time around a track, same driver in both cars. Unfortunalty I cannot site this fact, I read it in a magazine article that I have long forgotten where it was. Of course you can further modify your RUF, which I must say is one amazing car as well. Turbo's offer so much more in HP options then any NA car will. My car, from 1987, can easily and cheaply, and fairly reliably (for an older Porsche) be built to move faster then a 911 TT. Some 951's are probably treading in GT2 territory. May I remind you that this is a 2.5 liter turbo inline FOUR. So that (those in your case) little compressors sure are worth keeping around!
~Eyal
Old 04-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Bill,
I currently own two vipers a 1992 and 99 GTS coupe and have owned 4 prior vipers. I am a BIG viper fan and have been active in the viper nation since 1997 participating in their excellent viper days race series and going to as many events as possible. I agree with you the service and dealer relationship with Dodge SUUUUCCCKKKS. It's a handbuilt american modern muscle car and I love everything about it. But in my opinion there are only a few Dodge dealers in America who do a good job servicing the customers and treating you and your car like you just spent 80K. It's a shame too because Dodge is working their butts off to make the viper a world class car. Dodge builds factory race cars in the competition coupe to any buyer with a racing background. Dodge's competition coupe last fall at Laguna Seca with a rookie driver in only his second SCCA world challenge race kicked every factory backed teams *** including PORSCHE and came in first place. I have driven a comp. coupe and it is terrific car.

Eyal,
Why is it that anytime someone on this thread mentions that acceleration and quarter mile times are important to them people automaticlly assume they don't care about handling or that it is not important to them? I did not see anywhere in Bill's post that he said such a thing. Or implied it.

And I would very much like to see a CGT run a lower lap time then an Enzo
with a Ferrari factory driver behind the wheel instead of a Porsche driver.

I also have driven a few Ferrari's a F50, an F40 and both a street 360 and a challenge 360. I have found the handling to be tremendous what Ferrari's have you driven and found to be inferior to a Porsche? Eyal your a wild man buddy!

Quick Reply: Real price of CGT