Sponsored by:

CGT losing the clutch while tracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Axis007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGT losing the clutch while tracking

I drove my CGT during a track event ( the clutch thiness measures out fine ) after 3-5 laps, the clutch pedals goes soft on me ( clutch drops all the way / no resistances ) has anyone ever experince this ? The brakes are fine, but the clutch just goes , i thought this car can serve some light track duty ? ( Cal Speedway Roval )
Old 02-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert but it sounds like a bad clutch throw out bearing.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

When was the last time the car was in for service or you had the clutch measured? Sound like a possible slave cylinder. Most of the time they fail you will have an external leak from it and you will lose brake fluid from the same window the clutch is measured through. Would be impossible to miss when in for service or measuring the clutch.

Easy, preliminary check is checking the brake fluid reservoir in the front. Would have to lose quite a bitch of fluid for you to be able to tell from the front but just a thought
Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your clutch uses brake fluid to operate....it is boiling and that is what leads to mush....after it cools down it is okay. start with a complete flush and a better fluid,then heat insulate lines
Old 02-22-2016, 09:45 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Light track duty ? I've done over 30000 miles in 2 cgts now . Most to , on and from track and she's never missed a beat . Something's wrong matey , get her looked at
Old 02-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Axis007
Intermediate

had the car service 3 month ago, the clutch measured over 30, the car drives fine on the street, on moderate pace on the track the clutch holds up, when driven very aggressively on the track, the clutch goes, so maybe the fluid is boiling.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis007
had the car service 3 month ago, the clutch measured over 30, the car drives fine on the street, on moderate pace on the track the clutch holds up, when driven very aggressively on the track, the clutch goes, so maybe the fluid is boiling.
Somethings wrong, send it to Jimmy. He will take car of it.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

If your foot is resting on the clutch at all while driving at high speed on track you can boil the clutch fluids. I am not saying that you are doing this as I don't know your experience on track, but that sounds like the problem. It is a very common problem for amateur/beginning drivers driving manual.
Again, just a suggestion
Old 03-02-2016, 06:13 AM
flatsixforever
Advanced

Originally Posted by extanker
your clutch uses brake fluid to operate....it is boiling and that is what leads to mush....after it cools down it is okay. start with a complete flush and a better fluid,then heat insulate lines
Exactly, totally agree. Had this happen to me also. Take it easy for a lap and the pedal comes right. Make sure a trained technician services the car, the bleed screw for clutch is a little tricky, but must be done every 2 years max. with the brake fluid. Or preferably before any track time.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforever
Exactly, totally agree. Had this happen to me also. Take it easy for a lap and the pedal comes right. Make sure a trained technician services the car, the bleed screw for clutch is a little tricky, but must be done every 2 years max. with the brake fluid. Or preferably before any track time.

Sounds right. Porsche's recommended service interval for brake and clutch fluid is every two years but track inspection forms require 1 year max. I agree with 1 year for tracked cars.

Let me know if you would like to move forward with this service

Quick Reply: CGT losing the clutch while tracking