Sponsored by:

CGT traction control

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:00 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default CGT traction control

What does the traction control do? Posi-trac? Does it use differential braking and such as Mclaren? Magnetic suspension or some other wizardly technology? I know I should know, but only know there is a switch and have no idea what it does.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
What does the traction control do? Posi-trac? Does it use differential braking and such as Mclaren? Magnetic suspension or some other wizardly technology? I know I should know, but only know there is a switch and have no idea what it does.
The traction control on the Carrera GT is limited only to electronic engine interruption -- that's it. It appears to function by comparing wheel speed signals from the ABS brake sensors and limiting engine output based on how fast the rear wheels are going compared to the front wheels and compared to each other.

It's not very "intrusive" because I can still get an instantaneous 20-30 degree rear yaw (fishtail?) by stomping on the gas in 2nd gear while going 35 mph on the street (cold tires).

While track driving, I always leave it engaged so as not to compound any teensy driving errors I might make while carrying speed through the apex and powering out of corners.

There is a corner in the back bits of Mid-Ohio where the apex is at the crest of a hill and the car gets a bit light when tracking toward the outside edge of the track. Leaving the traction control "on" makes that exit very easy to keep my foot planted and not worry excessively about leaving the track
Old 05-13-2015, 04:43 PM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

lol what traction control?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:31 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LA Brit
lol what traction control?
Turn it off and find out
Old 05-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally don't track my car so I've never turned it off. I've been advised by many to never do it, a friend who works with Porsche jokingly called it the button of death.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:04 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
The traction control on the Carrera GT is limited only to electronic engine interruption -- that's it. It appears to function by comparing wheel speed signals from the ABS brake sensors and limiting engine output based on how fast the rear wheels are going compared to the front wheels and compared to each other.

It's not very "intrusive" because I can still get an instantaneous 20-30 degree rear yaw (fishtail?) by stomping on the gas in 2nd gear while going 35 mph on the street (cold tires).

While track driving, I always leave it engaged so as not to compound any teensy driving errors I might make while carrying speed through the apex and powering out of corners.

There is a corner in the back bits of Mid-Ohio where the apex is at the crest of a hill and the car gets a bit light when tracking toward the outside edge of the track. Leaving the traction control "on" makes that exit very easy to keep my foot planted and not worry excessively about leaving the track
W8 thanks, that clears it up for me. I was thinking it might be more complicated and wizardly than that. Fairly basic really.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I personally don't like the traction control and hit the button to turn if off routinely when I start the car. If you get into a power slide, the engine will decrease throttle (power) which will increase grip in the rear. I can do that with my foot. The problem with the traction control is it "over compensates" and your power slide is over before it even gets going. Bottom line: I don't like a computer interrupting my throttle because of wheel spin...which is usually intentionally, and if not, easily correctible.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
I personally don't like the traction control and hit the button to turn if off routinely when I start the car. If you get into a power slide, the engine will decrease throttle (power) which will increase grip in the rear. I can do that with my foot. The problem with the traction control is it "over compensates" and your power slide is over before it even gets going. Bottom line: I don't like a computer interrupting my throttle because of wheel spin...which is usually intentionally, and if not, easily correctible.
It's a tool. If you don't want or need it, leave it in the box, so to speak but it is effective for what it is and useful for those interested in simply going around a track or down a back road without eating up their tires or putting their car in the woods. You will also run a greater number of fast laps by keeping the tires hooked-up.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

From the Service Technik...

Traction control “TC”

So as to achieve the best traction during acceleration, the Carrera GT is fitted as standard with a “Traction Control” system.
The “TC” system comprises the components automatic brake differential (ABD
5.7), traction control (TC 5.7) and engine drag torque control (MSR).

ABD 5.7

During acceleration, in the event of the wheel on one side slipping, that wheel is
braked by the ABD until stable driving conditions are reattained.
The application of brake pressure is achieved by the individual hydraulic valves
for each drive wheel, fitted in the ABS hydraulic block.
The component functions of the ABD 5.7 are implemented in the overall TC 5.7
system.

TC 5.7
The traction control system has the duty of preventing excessive wheelslip at the drive axle thus prevent lateral drift of the rear axle during acceleration. The TC function is active at all speeds when acceleration is applied.
If one (or both) wheels slip, the drive axle(s) for this (these) wheel(s) is braked
until the speed of the wheel falls to one at which the wheel does not slip, or both wheels are braked down to a wheel speed level where slipping does not occur.
If because of prolonged TC applications the brake system threatens to overheat
then the electronic engine management system will reduce the engine torque
until the drive wheels reattain forward grip within the adhesive limit.

When traction control is active these interventions will be indicated by a flashing
yellow warning lamp in the multi-function instrument.
By engine torque reduction is meant the throttling back (reduction) of the ngine
torque currently demanded by the gas pedal by a reduction in the mass of combustion air admitted, which is achieved by closing the electronic throttle valve.
A further possibility for torque reduction is to reduce the efficiency of the engine
combustion, by retarding the ignition angle. From a thermal point of view there
are however strict limits to retarding the ignition angle, so that it may be used
only for a short period and for minor control interventions.

Engine drag torque control (MSR)

Within the TC function there exists also engine drag torque control. This may be
required for instance after changing down to a lower gear on slippery ground.
On changing down to a lower gear the resulting engine braking effect can be so
severe as to fracture the rear axle. MSR prevents this by calling for power
(giving gas) through the engine management system.
There is always the possibility that the Carrera GT driver may switch off the traction control functions by pressing the button labelled “TC”. He is then reminded of this by the display “TC off” in the multi-function instrument.
It is however inadvisable to switch off the TC functions. Doing so will in any case not lead to better lap times on the race track.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
From the Service Technik...

Traction control “TC”
Jason,

Thanks so much

Quick Reply: CGT traction control