Sponsored by:

918 Test Drive at Infineon/Sears Point on Wednesday, June 25th

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
goplay Glad to see you like the 918. I remembered you forgo the 918 to get the P1 before. But after testing driving the final production version you had to be surprised by how good it is.

We have been saying for a long time but not many listen, the 918 is the most complete hypercar right now. There is no compromise.
Well actually I didn't forego the 918 to get the P1. I decided on the P1 first and was going to develop a vintage car collection instead of getting the 918. Vintage cars are nice but the best thing about them is they get you to really appreciate modern cars!

I do think the 918 is very well sorted out. I didn't buy it because it is "more complete" than the P1. Rather because it is so much better than my Carrera GT. The CGT is a great involving drive but not one you would enjoy in all circumstances... Like tooling around San Francisco!

PS
GoPlay is username I use in all other forums these days. Biko is just a remnant of being on Rennlist well before ML and FC. Both names are related to dogs!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
So Sam Cabiglio has now confirmed the 'Blue' 918 at Porsche of Beverly Hills is indeed Seinfeld's car (first photo):

"Hi Eduardo,

The blue 918 was indeed Jerry's, and next week he"s coming to LA and we'll take it for the "maiden voyage" through the Santa Monica mountains!

Ciao,
Sam"

I'll ask Sam to confirm also if that exterior is 'Dark Blue Metallic' which is one of the six 'regular' metallic colors offered as standard (n/c) on the 918.
http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...CA2A14FS800911
Looks like it is Dark Blue Metallic, and also looks like Seinfeld got VIN #00911. Pretty cool. I like the unpainted carbon windshield frame, roof panels and mirrors.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...CA2A14FS800911
Looks like it is Dark Blue Metallic, and also looks like Seinfeld got VIN #00911. Pretty cool. I like the unpainted carbon windshield frame, roof panels and mirrors.
That's a very expensive painted key option with a leather pouch
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

To be fair, the painted key option with the leather pouch can be had in almost any style you want.

The key can be painted in 2 tones, different colour either side. The leather pouch can be broken down into 4 sections for colours , the main panel, the stitching, the flap and the button.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Glad to hear about the successful experiences with the 918; I do think W8MM makes a very good point about how limiting the US can be for persons to truly enjoy their cars since it is so "anti-speed". Top Gear makes fun of it all of the time. So, yes, Porsche probably should emphasise the "track-ability" (a newly combined term) of the 918 for US. I have enough of a challenge using my CGT in Europe (got a nice little ticket from the French police on my way down the A6 to Puligny-Montrachet never mind that everyone was going at a pretty fast pace) -- but the equivalent of a 100-110mph is pretty common here. Cheers, Steve
Stephen: On the face of it, it would seem to most Europeans and ROW residents that sport car owners in the United States have a hard time driving their cars fast on public roads due to our restrictive speed limits. But what countries in Europe, besides Germany, has unlimited speed limits on their super highways? And even in Germany, there is increasingly construction or traffic which limits those few stretches of unlimited speed on the Autobahns! I have at least two photos taken by police cameras showing us speeding through the beautiful Swiss highways in European Delivery cars! And we enjoyed every minute of that fast drive. I have them framed for 'show & tell'.

The one little secret about the US of A that most Europeans & others non-US residents don't often talk about is that this is a darn big country with plenty of sparsely populated areas! And we 'locals' all know country roads that are little used where we can let our cars 'breath' a bit of fresh air...if you catch my drift! We are also able, in most states, to equip our cars with pretty sophisticated radar detectors and other stealth counter-measures devices. Some of us have advanced 'laser diffusers' which are able to...well, let just say 'confuse' the most effective laser radar guns presently used by our law enforcement agencies! So don't cry for us too much...we still have some areas in this vast North American continent where we can exercise our 'stallions' besides the race tracks!

Regardless what was said above without the advice of a sensible PC lawyer, please disregard & observe the speed limits at all times!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 06-27-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2014, 03:10 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Weissach Package...with climate comfort & great audio!

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
That's a very expensive painted key option with a leather pouch
What I find interesting about this build is that it's the luxury version of the 'Weissach Package'! Jerry added back two-zone climate control* (2 lbs) & Burmester Sound System (9 lbs)! He apparently doesn't like Alcantara, because he added back a very expensive full leather interior and steering wheel on his 'Weissach'! But to each his own. I agree with him that the 'Weissach Package', especially with its highly-visible aero bits & carbon fiber windshield frame, will be the most collectible of the two versions of the 918!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*I believe that A/C is basically built into all 918's, including 'Weissach Package' versions. The latter omits only a 2 lb 'vaporizer' on its version, which is the only thing added back to Jerry's built to make his A/C function fully. Porsche learned the hard way the marketing lesson that most folks that consider themselves hard-core 'racing types' often order sport cars with A/C delete...only to regret it after experiencing the harsh reality of seasonal heat & humidity in most climates on Planet Earth! To retrofit A/C in most modern Porsches is prohibitively expensive...and a mechanical nightmare that few technicians ever want to tackle! In the 918, it appears Porsche has left the bulk of the A/C equipment integrated into every model, regardless whether you order a Weissach or the standard version. They only remove the vaporizer if you are 'foolish' enough to want to save those last two pounds of vehicle weight! Porsche probably figures that the vaporizer is easy to retrofit when you finally come to your senses after taking delivery of your manly 'Weissach Pkg' 918 without a working A/C!

I doubt there is a single female customer of Porsche that has ever ordered 'A/C Delete' in her modern sports car! As you know, they all come from 'Venus', where apparently common sense has been drilled into their heads! I, like most of you here at Rennlist, come from a different place - 'Mars'. And my instructors there taught me the value of sweat (plus the necessity of heel/toe & manual transmissions)! Right?

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 AM
heynow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The primary function of the AC in the 918 is keeping the batteries cold, that it works for people is an added bonus . This is why if you leave out the AC in the weissach package build it only removes the blowing at people parts of the AC, but the compressor remains...
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

What I find interesting about this build is that it's the luxury version of the 'Weissach Package'! Jerry added back two-zone climate control* (2 lbs) & Burmester Sound System (9 lbs)! He apparently doesn't like Alcantara, because he added back a very expensive full leather interior and steering wheel on his 'Weissach'! But to each his own. I agree with him that the 'Weissach Package', especially with its highly-visible aero bits & carbon fiber windshield frame, will be the most collectible of the two versions of the 918!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*I believe that A/C is basically built into all 918's, including 'Weissach Package' versions. The latter omits only a 2 lb 'vaporizer' on its version, which is the only thing added back to Jerry's built to make his A/C function fully. Porsche learned the hard way the marketing lesson that most folks that consider themselves hard-core 'racing types' often order sport cars with A/C delete...only to regret it after experiencing the harsh reality of seasonal heat & humidity in most climates on Planet Earth! To retrofit A/C in most modern Porsches is prohibitively expensive...and a mechanical nightmare that few technicians ever want to tackle! In the 918, it appears Porsche has left the bulk of the A/C equipment integrated into every model, regardless whether you order a Weissach or the standard version. They only remove the vaporizer if you are 'foolish' enough to want to save those last two pounds of vehicle weight! Porsche probably figures that the vaporizer is easy to retrofit when you finally come to your senses after taking delivery of your manly 'Weissach Pkg' 918 without a working A/C!

I doubt there is a single female customer of Porsche that has ever ordered 'A/C Delete' in her modern sports car! As you know, they all come from 'Venus', where apparently common sense has been drilled into their heads! I, like most of you here at Rennlist, come from a different place - 'Mars'. And my instructors there taught me the value of sweat (plus the necessity of heel/toe & manual transmissions)! Right?

Great post.

Well said!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Great post.

Well said!!
Thanks, CarMaven!

Originally Posted by heynow
The primary function of the AC in the 918 is keeping the batteries cold, that it works for people is an added bonus . This is why if you leave out the AC in the weissach package build it only removes the blowing at people parts of the AC, but the compressor remains...
That makes sense.

Warm greetings (or should it be 'A/C cool'???) to my fellow Martian compatriot 'hey now'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-27-2014, 04:23 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Master delivery center
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recognize that room!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richk
Master delivery center
I don't think so. Those look like the 918 Spyders being used for the 'Start the Engines' road show and are probably getting serviced before or after the test drives! Interestingly, one of them has a production number, so it's not a proto-type! More when I write up my full report on the Infineon event on Wednesday.

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I recognize that room!
...then why don't you tell us the details (we are all ears).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 390 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't think so. Those look like the 918 Spyders being used for the 'Start the Engines' road show and are probably getting serviced before or after the test drives! Interestingly, one of them has a production number, so it's not a proto-type! More when I write up my full report on the Infineon event on Wednesday.

...then why don't you tell us the details (we are all ears).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I wonder if the one with the production number is the one that PCNA had to purchase. We were told at the NY auto show they had to purchase one to use from Germany, and they had to wire the money over before they would send it through production.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mwar99
I wonder if the one with the production number is the one that PCNA had to purchase. We were told at the NY auto show they had to purchase one to use from Germany, and they had to wire the money over before they would send it through production.
Did they explain why?

There were three 918 Spyders at Infineon that we could see. One was on display at the 'Zentrum' (the 'dark blue metallic'). Two were for use at the track. None were Weissach Package. Two were proto-types and one was regular production #134.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 390 Likes on 217 Posts

He just said that they wouldn't give them one to use to help with sales, that they needed to purchase it. Maybe because it wasn't pre-production?

Is that one liquid metal silver color?

Quick Reply: 918 Test Drive at Infineon/Sears Point on Wednesday, June 25th