Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Actual 918 Buyers (Those w/ Deposits down)..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Question for Actual 918 Buyers (Those w/ Deposits down)..

good friend of mine is in negotiations to buy a 918, dealer said less than 90 units available....

what he and i are curious of, is what people who have actually negotiated and placed deposit have gotten back from sticker on the vehicle... i know the early birds from back in the 918 997.2Turbo days probably got nothing, but will get the first cars.. then maybe small discounts here and there...

but curious as of late.. has anyone got anything substantial? or the dealers are holding tight because of the rewards that come with buying the vehicle (first dibs on new rare models)

that being said, he generally already gets all of the limited models available, so those perks are not much use to him besides the fact he could "lock in" a GT3RS when they come out/available versus having to wait and see for allocation.

if members feel better staying private they can email me or pm me privately.. i will not share the info with anyone else besides my friend and I...

much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

It's a $1mm car. So what's a $20,000 or $50,000 discount really mean in perspective? Lucky friend. Lucky you if you get a ride/drive.

Did you read the "918 Negotiations" post 2 down from your post? Good stuff there.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's a $1mm car. So what's a $20,000 or $50,000 discount really mean in perspective? Lucky friend. Lucky you if you get a ride/drive.

Did you read the "918 Negotiations" post 2 down from your post? Good stuff there.
i did read it first, but the thread didn't seem to get anywhere....

in perspective it might not mean much, but it's more-so principle and his perspective.. i guess regardless of the $ everyone still loves a "good deal"..
Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

As I have said in the other post, between the MSRP and the dealer invoice, there is a 40k difference, not counting the option pricing.

More than likely, one will never get the whole 40k off, I believe Porsche has been instructing dealers to stand firm on the price, BUT a discount still could happen on the hush-hush.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

$20k is $20k. You can't maximize wealth by leaving money on the table, when it serves no purpose.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least in Europe the 918 Spyder contract is written between Porsche AG and the buyer, not between the dealer and the buyer. The dealer just gets a fixed comission of something like 30 kUSD.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

I'm unfortunately in no position to actually buy a 918, much less negotiate for one.

But just hypothetically speaking (and I mentioned this on the other 918 Negotiation thread), how would one go about doing this?

What leverage does the buyer have?

Porsche builds these to order. So it's not like there's a bunch just rotting on dealer lots somewhere.

If you want a hybrid supercar (or hypercar), what other alternatives are out there? The P1 is sold out. And even the waitlist to get on the waitlist for the LaF is oversubscribed.

So if Porsche says, "we are not budging one $ or Euro from our asking price" what are you going to say, "well, ok, then I'm just going to go buy a ... Tesla Model S and pick up a used Carerra GT on the way home"?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

If one has access to more than one Porsche dealers, then a deal could be had by competition.

The price maybe not be an actual discount on the order, but could be in the form of say no-charge option(s).

Or a more than normal discount on another car order.

The 918 is getting down to the wire. Porsche was down to less than 200 a coupe months ago, maybe at not much more than 100 allocation left as we speak after their latest round of road shows. Rumor has it that Porsche planned on asking all their dealership to sell 1 more, or have the dealer principals each take delivery of one if they hasn't ordered yet, and that's more than enough to take care of the last of the allocations.

The 918 really is the deal of the century if one considered how much Porsche has put into it and the performance that came out and the price Porsche charges, nothing is faster on the Ring, some wild claim by a certain maker doesn't really hold any weight if there is no proof. Would you believe me if I say I rode a bike and did a under 4 mins around the Ring but i didn't bother to release a time or a video cause I say you need to trust me.

As for alternatives, the P1 is there. While the P1 is sold out, McLaren has already announced they will do another run of P1 'track', that's only for existing P1 owners. Some owners may not want to keep 2 versions of the same car and they will sell their street version. Or they are not satisfied with the street version and wanted the track version more. One just need to know the right person.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If one has access to more than one Porsche dealers, then a deal could be had by competition.

The price maybe not be an actual discount on the order, but could be in the form of say no-charge option(s).
Maybe the dealer can throw in the Weissach Package ...
Old 06-08-2014, 02:10 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

That depends on how good a negotiator you are haha, Jordan Belfort might have a chance to do that.........
Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like the USA system is different . In eu contract is with Porsche direct and all costs in euros not for example in British pounds even though I'm buying through uk .
Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

North America probably has a different dealer structure than Europe, here dealer buy the cars from Porsche at a lower price point than MSRP.

Even when I am in Canada, 918 is quoted and spec-ed in US$, think Porsche is only using US$ and Euros for settlement.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Stockholm996TT
At least in Europe the 918 Spyder contract is written between Porsche AG and the buyer, not between the dealer and the buyer. The dealer just gets a fixed comission of something like 30 kUSD.
Originally Posted by wtdoom
Seems like the USA system is different . In eu contract is with Porsche direct and all costs in euros not for example in British pounds even though I'm buying through uk .
In 2010, when the first prototype was shown at the Monterey Jet Center in August, PAG and PCNA floated the idea of bypassing the dealers and having a direct contract between Porsche & their end customers in America! But the US Porsche dealer network is very powerful and it squashed that idea in no time flat. There is a history of this back & forth between Porsche and their dealers in the US. Porsche tried to do this before in the mid-1980's for their entire distribution of cars in North America and ended up with the mother of all lawsuits from their US Porsche dealers. But that is a different story we can talk about another day.

North America probably has a different dealer structure than Europe, here dealer buy the cars from Porsche at a lower price point than MSRP.
Whoopsy: We are talking about just about how Porsche is handling contracts for the limited production 918 in certain markets in Europe, not the regular Porsche models. The European dealer structure also buys regular Porsches from their distributors at a lower price point than MSRP. Did you really think otherwise?

Even when I am in Canada, 918 is quoted and spec-ed in US$, think Porsche is only using US$ and Euros for settlement.
PCNA does massive amounts of US$/Euro forward contracts in anticipation of the payments that are expected due to PAG on deliveries of Porsches to this market. But my understanding is that Porsche Canada quotes Canadian dollars on regular Porsches at dealerships (perhaps with the exception of the few 918 sold in that market) and that is what Canadians pay with for their regular Porsches. Is this not true?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356

Whoopsy: We are talking about just about how Porsche is handling contracts for the limited production 918 in certain markets in Europe, not the regular Porsche models. The European dealer structure also buys regular Porsches from their distributors at a lower price point than MSRP. Did you really think otherwise?
Are we not talking about the 918 and not about the regular models?

I was talking about the 918 being sold like a regular model, no special instructions.

PCNA does massive amounts of US$/Euro forward contracts in anticipation of the payments that are expected due to PAG on deliveries of Porsches to this market. But my understanding is that Porsche Canada quotes Canadian dollars on regular Porsches at dealerships (perhaps with the exception of the few 918 sold in that market) and that is what Canadians pay with for their regular Porsches. Is this not true?
918 is the special case where everything is settled on US$. We Canadian do have our own currency for normal stuff
Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
In 2010, when the first prototype was shown at the Monterey Jet Center in August, PAG and PCNA floated the idea of bypassing the dealers and having a direct contract between Porsche & their end customers in America! But the US Porsche dealer network is very powerful and it squashed that idea in no time flat.
There was also the little problem that most states have laws prohibiting manufacturers from selling direct, as Tesla has discovered...

Quick Reply: Question for Actual 918 Buyers (Those w/ Deposits down)..