Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Followed this today 70 miles north of LA

Pretty...
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 AM
teej
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he was probably paying as much attention to the mattresses as you were to the 918
Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the car really looks great!
I must admit im smitten by it.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's still some kind of manufacturer tag isn't it?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default DST 16403

Originally Posted by mtbscott
That's still some kind of manufacturer tag isn't it?
A) Those are 'Distributor' Plates, not 'Manufacturers' Plates, for California. Photo 1 & 2.

B) This same type of plate (CA DST 16403) was used on the 'Liquid Metal Silver' 918 Weissach affectionally called 'The San Diego Condor' because it's the location where this rare bird has been spotted most often! Photos 3 & 4.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...san-diego.html

However, on rare occasions this Condor was seen flying as far north as Marin County! Photo #5.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...yesterday.html

C) As you can see in Jean-Marc's photo (#6), the 918 he was following north of LA is not a Weissach. So it's not 'The San Diego Condor'. So clearly Porsche is using this numbered DST plate with a variety of 918 vehicles for testing or as a sales demo in California.

D) Possibly car spotted by Jean-Marc might be the base Spyder (German Plate S-GO-908) used on the last Leno video, which was also driven by Jeff Zwart to the Woodland Hills SuperCar Sunday Meet on 3/16th (photo #7).

E) Same numbered plate used on first Leno video on prototype from The Quail /Porsche Zentrum in August 2013 (photo #8). But note that the three number/letter on the right of it are different than those on that plate in other photos above. So there apparently are many DST 16403 plates - all assigned to Porsche in California!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Jean-Marc: Welcome to the Bay Area! Do you still have your MY2011 Boxster Spyder?

Attached Images         

Last edited by Z356; 04-10-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

I most certainly still have the boxster spyder!
The guy driving the car was young... 20s and was driving very carefully. I was following him in my 991 and was waiting for him to drop the hammer and he never did.
I have a few side pics too. The brakes and line green markings looked really good
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Was that on the Grapevine or the 14 going past LandCracker, Rosamond and Edwards AFB?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

And speaking of the color of the brake calipers; aren't the special Turbo 997.2 Editions you could buy after you paid the cash for an 918 have the same color brake calipers?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I most certainly still have the boxster spyder!
Great Jean-Marc. Looking forward to finally meeting you on a future trip to Carmel for car events (Parade or Historics) this summer!

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
And speaking of the color of the brake calipers; aren't the special Turbo 997.2 Editions you could buy after you paid the cash for an 918 have the same color brake calipers?
Yes, they allowed those 'Acid Green' brake calipers on the Edition 918 Spyder Turbos for the 918 deposit holders. But my understanding is that the practice has been discontinued. Look at the caliper color of the latest special PTS C4S that Whoopsy observed on displayed at the Delivery Area at Zuffenhausen last week or the C2S cab I saw in the same spot one year ago!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

OMG Z356, I just lost my cookies! That Black on the Green, Acid?, has to be about the nastiest car I've seen since the David Beckham Porsche. Sure to have bad dreams tonight.

And all OD those other cars, they are going to be a bitch at resale!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Actually you can get the same acid green callipers on a Panamera S e-hybrid.

The Panamera also uses those green on the gauge needles.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Actually you can get the same acid green callipers on a Panamera S e-hybrid.
Correct. But they will not be painted 'Acid Green' on another Limited Edition non-Hybrid Porsche like the 'Edition 918 Spyder' 911 Turbo mentioned by Tacet. Here is the full context of my 'discontinued' remark. From a post dated 3/31/2014:

"When I visited 'Porsche Exclusive' at Zuffenhausen last year they specifically mentioned that several customers had requested a different color on their brake calipers from factory. The issue had been debated internally & a decision was made NOT to allow it. Seems to me that 'branding' has something to do with it. They wanted the calipers' colors associated with a particular 'spec' of brakes rather than a design element to be customized in a deviating color at will. So at Porsche, PCCB brakes are 'Yellow', S/Turbo/gt3 are 'Red' & Base are 'Black'! Except for the Cayenne/Macan (whose 'S' models - including the Cayenne Hybrid - inexplicably get 'silver' calipers ), Porsche Hybrids now merit their own politically correct caliper color - 'Acid Green'! So even if you custom order a $845K+ 918 Spyder with an expensive exterior PTS color which is in visual conflict with the standard 'Acid Green' brake calipers, you are s*** out of luck! Of course, this can be customized easily & inexpensively once you take delivery of your Porsche."

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...exclusive.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Mercel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 911 Turbo S Spyder is no longer available to 918 buyers. Porsche built 47 of these cars.

The acid green accents, carbon fiber, stitching, other trim pieces were added to the 911 Turbo S without charge to the 918 buyers. I estimate there's probably $15k of optional items (parts, color, trim) on the car in addition to it being a very rare car.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Was that on the Grapevine or the 14 going past LandCracker, Rosamond and Edwards AFB?
Grapevine
Old 04-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Looking at this thread on my mobile the "Acid Green" Calipers and the cars look more Yellow than they do Yellow!

On my monitor at home it looks more Green. Thats one of the reasons why we cannot trust our displays to be accurate, least 99% of the time.

Further, when people ordered their LFAs, they had the option of getting what color caliper on their cars. It was something around 70%-90% of the cars ordered were Yellow because of Porsche PCCBs.

Quick Reply: Followed this today 70 miles north of LA