Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Porsche Exclusive

Has anyone tried to order painted brake calipers through the Porsche exclusive program?

I ask because I spec'ed a Carmine Red Cayman GTS and I wanted to get black break calipers as I thought it would look better and was told Porsche no longer does that...
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Colors of Calipers

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Has anyone tried to order painted brake calipers through the Porsche exclusive program?
Steven: When I visited 'Porsche Exclusive' at Zuffenhausen last year they specifically mentioned that several customers had requested a different color on their brake calipers from factory. The issue had been debated internally & a decision was made NOT to allow it. Seems to me that 'branding' has something to do with it. They wanted the calipers' colors associated with a particular 'spec' of brakes rather than a design element to be customized in a deviating color at will. So at Porsche, PCCB brakes are 'Yellow', S/Turbo/gt3 are 'Red' & Base are 'Black'! Except for the Cayenne/Macan (whose 'S' models - including the Cayenne Hybrid - inexplicably get 'silver' calipers ), Porsche Hybrids now merit their own politically correct caliper color - 'Acid Green'! So even if you custom order a $845K+ 918 Spyder with an expensive exterior PTS color which is in visual conflict with the standard 'Acid Green' brake calipers, you are s*** out of luck!

Of course, this can be customized easily & inexpensively once you take delivery of your Porsche.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Finally a sunny day in Seattle!

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

As always ... thank you Eduardo
Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Except for the Cayenne/Macan (whose 'S' models - including the Cayenne Hybrid - inexplicably get 'silver' calipers ),
lol, yeah that's pretty weird.

I saw the acid green brake calipers on a Panamera S e-hybrid at Tech Tactics this year. Personally, I liked them a lot though it could've been the novelty that intrigued me. Oh, and I mean acid brake calipers - not the Panamera "e-hybrid".
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Carmine Red. Excellent choice
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I saw the acid green brake calipers on a Panamera S e-hybrid at Tech Tactics this year. Personally, I liked them a lot though it could've been the novelty that intrigued me. Oh, and I mean acid brake calipers - not the Panamera "e-hybrid".
Last November I drove a Panamera S e-Hybrid S at the short course of The Thermal Club in Palm Springs to learn the driving lines prior to my track test drive of the 918 Spyder 'Weissach Package'. I couldn't believe how bad that e-Hybrid Panamera felt on that course! It was seriously unimpressive - lousy brakes, weak engine, soft suspension! On the other hand, I was pretty taken with the Panamera I drove at a Porsche World Road Show in Colorado's High Plains Raceway back in 2012. That model was a GTS (in 'Carmine Red' I believe) and it was pretty damn good - sport suspension, strong engine, great braking & a beautiful alcantara interior!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Seattle

Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Sarnie
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steven: When I visited 'Porsche Exclusive' at Zuffenhausen last year they specifically mentioned that several customers had requested a different color on their brake calipers from factory. The issue had been debated internally & a decision was made NOT to allow it. Seems to me that 'branding' has something to do with it. They wanted the calipers' colors associated with a particular 'spec' of brakes rather than a design element to be customized in a deviating color at will. So at Porsche, PCCB brakes are 'Yellow', S/Turbo/gt3 are 'Red' & Base are 'Black'! Except for the Cayenne/Macan (whose 'S' models - including the Cayenne Hybrid - inexplicably get 'silver' calipers ), Porsche Hybrids now merit their own politically correct caliper color - 'Acid Green'! So even if you custom order a $845K+ 918 Spyder with an expensive exterior PTS color which is in visual conflict with the standard 'Acid Green' brake calipers, you are s*** out of luck!

Of course, this can be customized easily & inexpensively once you take delivery of your Porsche.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Finally a sunny day in Seattle!

Eduardo,

Can you (or anyone else) help me?

I've always loved the acid green of the Panamera Hybrid calipers! I'm in the process of ordering a Cayman GTS in PTS for the same acid green and ended up with Acid green/birch green/ light green/ lichtgruen code 253.

Is 253 the paint code of the calipers?

I've found these pics on line for Birch green;

Which all look perfect and a little more yellow, so I've ordered the car in the 253 paint code but the dealer sent me this pic which looks more green to my eyes;

Or am I going PTS colour blind!?!? I want the colour of the Hybrid calipers!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sarnie
Eduardo,

Can you (or anyone else) help me?

I've always loved the acid green of the Panamera Hybrid calipers! I'm in the process of ordering a Cayman GTS in PTS for the same acid green and ended up with Acid green/birch green/ light green/ lichtgruen code 253.

Is 253 the paint code of the calipers?

I've found these pics on line for Birch green;

Which all look perfect and a little more yellow, so I've ordered the car in the 253 paint code but the dealer sent me this pic which looks more green to my eyes;

Or am I going PTS colour blind!?!? I want the colour of the Hybrid calipers!
No, you are not going colour blind, code 253 is close enough to 'Acid Green' that it should make you happy! The fact is that 'Acid Green' has not been yet approved for the 991/981/Panamera. And it might not even be approved for the 918 Spyder. Back in Nov of 2013 at a 918 test drive near Palms Springs, CA, I asked Melissa Witek of 'Porsche Exclusive' about what colors clients had requested on the 918 model and 'Acid Green' was one of them. But recently in June of 2014, at another 918 driving event in Sonoma, Melissa admitted to me that 'Acid Green' has not yet been approved for the 918. However, she felt that the 'Lichtgrün/Birch Green', code 253, is close enough that it should satisfy most customers set on 'Acid Green'. I have seen 'Lichtgrün/Birch Green' in person and it's a terrific color. It's damn close to the 'Acid Green' calipers I have seen on the 918 and the Panamera Hybrid. So that is all I can tell you at the moment.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2014, 03:55 AM
Sarnie
6th Gear

Many thanks for that Eduardo, I think my concern was that the first two pictures seem to be a different shade to the third picture, with the first two seemingly more yellow and the third more green, but maybe thats just my eyes playing tricks on me??
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Many thanks for that Eduardo, I think my concern was that the first two pictures seem to be a different shade to the third picture, with the first two seemingly more yellow and the third more green, but maybe thats just my eyes playing tricks on me??
The lenses of cameras lie. Filters lie. I have known for 64 years intimately the photographer that took this photo below. He is using a 'Sony' digital camera bought at Costco for under $200. It normally takes great, realistic photos. But in April 2013, this 'Lichtgrün/Birch Green' 991S cabriolet at Zuffenhausen took an unusual hue when photographed. It looks different. So whatever you do, just don't look at this first photo. It will not help you decide. It will only confuse matters.

The second photo is of a 'Lichtgrün/Birch Green' 991 gt3 taken by another photographer in Germany. You decide which color is more representative.

Third & fourth photos are of actual sample color at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany. Same 'Sony' Costco digital camera...and photographer of #1.

Moral of the story. Only trust your own eyes. You need to see a color in person to really understand, appreciate and absorb its true characteristics.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Sarnie
6th Gear

Aaaaarrrgghh!!

I want the colour in the first picture, the second picture looks a bit more like a pale yellow to me?? And certainly not a striking or as vivid as the Hybrid Calipers colour...............
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Aaaaarrrgghh!!

I want the colour in the first picture, the second picture looks a bit more like a pale yellow to me?? And certainly not a striking or as vivid as the Hybrid Calipers colour...............
Matching is often difficult. Also note that it depends on lenses & lighting. Here was the attempt by a vendor which was posted in the 918 Forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...you-think.html

If you have the time, find the color you like, have it locally painted in a business-envelope-size piece of metal & have 'Porsche Exclusive' match it via Paint-to-Sample. Why settle?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM
nh4
Instructor

If you have the time, find the color you like, have it locally painted in a business-envelope-size piece of metal & have 'Porsche Exclusive' match it via Paint-to-Sample. Why settle?
Might be good to add that "have the time"could mean 6 months while Porsche tests the color choice and that there are real odds that the wait ends with being told, "Nein, nichts für Sie."*

-nh4.

* = Google says that's, "No, none for you." in German but I can neither confirm nor deny that!

Quick Reply: Porsche Exclusive