Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Harris review of P1

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

[This was actually in response to WTDoom's quotes preceding and responding to SuperQuant's]

Good Points.

Since he places such a premium on it. I don't see how CH could just so flippantly go by Manufacturer claims/numbers before the cars are actually tested?

We all know how cars perform or under perform in the real world, compared to their manufacturer claims (including weight). He appears to be making many suppositions?

It seems to me, CH just went right back to his biases of the 918, and his desires of a more track focused vehicle after driving the P1. And that's fine! However, that shouldn't take away or diminish the 918 achievements (which many feel are way more impressive than the P1's to begin with).

I wonder what he's gonna say, if/when the 918 proves faster 0-150 than the other cars? And what about the Ring time, if he's making such a precedence on speed, track and primal performance? He didn't even mention that. Oh yeah, I forgot, that was timed, recorded and documented. Something he hasn't done, or shown interest in confirming with any of these vehicles. Lol

Weird, funny, loose, and a bit unbalanced summary/reporting from CH I must say.

Last edited by CarMaven; 02-28-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarMaven
[This was actually in response to WTDoom's quotes preceding and responding to SuperQuant's]

Good Points.

Since he places such a premium on it. I don't see how CH could just so flippantly go by Manufacturer claims/numbers before the cars are actually tested?

We all know how cars perform or under perform in the real world, compared to their manufacturer claims (including weight). He appears to be making many suppositions?

It seems to me, CH just went right back to his biases of the 918, and his desires of a more track focused vehicle after driving the P1. And that's fine! However, that shouldn't take away or diminish the 918 achievements (which many feel are way more impressive than the P1's to begin with).

I wonder what he's gonna say, if/when the 918 proves faster 0-150 than the other cars? And what about the Ring time, if he's making such a precedence on speed, track and primal performance? He didn't even mention that. Oh yeah, I forgot, that was timed, recorded and documented. Something he hasn't done, or shown interest in confirming with any of these vehicles. Lol

Weird, funny, loose, and a bit unbalanced summary/reporting from CH I must say.
Dear carmaven ,

Please remember Chris has his own likes and dislikes . We all love cars for different things and at the end of the day it's one mans opinion and Chris gives it very well indeed .

I still say the p1 will be faster In a straight line at the top end but I assure you on real surfaces in rel conditions , I know who my moneys on .

It really is about what you want from a car at this level . Remember the average veyron buyer is said to have something like 40 cars , that's a mindset and a choice of cars few reviewers really attempt to explore .
Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

wtdoom,
do you expect any further updates in the 918, compared to the already announced?
Or maybe underestimated performance in real world?
Thanks,
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by boyko23
wtdoom,
do you expect any further updates in the 918, compared to the already announced?
Or maybe underestimated performance in real world?
Thanks,
The latest updates are the front engine revving faster and for longer as well as disconnecting later .
Also the e motors "over boost" now for short periods of time .

I think EVERYONE is underestimating the real world performance of the 918 . Plus they forget it's a luxuriously appointed , all weather use spyder .

There's as a reason why mclaren didn't turn up for the top gear " head to head " test .
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you!

This upgrade means even more HP, right?

I also believe 100%, that very, very soon some people will be very unpleasantly surprised from 918 real world performance and stats... Including CH himself...

Regarding top gear - what is the news? As far as I read somewhere, the shootout is supposed to be aired this Monday, or...?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
There's as a reason why mclaren didn't turn up for the top gear " head to head " test .

What do you mean by this ^^^???
This is very interesting!
Top Gear already announced the side by side lap between the 2 on their track.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What do you mean by this ^^^???
This is very interesting!
Top Gear already announced the side by side lap between the 2 on their track.
^^^
Add me to the list of people wanting to know WTF wtdoom.

From the McLaren Kool-Aid drinkers, I had the understanding that a side-by-side comparison was a given. Was it a wet track situation and McLaren didn't want a wet track number? I can understand that, but any other reason even if it meant another test at another time would be preferable to what may come...
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Apparently mclaren pulled out of " back to back tests " ( note I didn't say on this day ) on top gear with 918 .
To be fair it was cold and a little damp on Tuesday but these are road cars and will have to deal with damp ? My friends in Porsche uk are well up for it and are already calling clarckson "Jennifer".

Top gear trying to arrange it for the summer , probably with a customer p1 , although customers have been advised not to do " performance testing" with magazines etc .
Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 522 Posts

Now that's a major design fault if the P1 can't perform in the wet. Hell even top race cars like F1 car can race in the rain.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, any car can drive in the rain. Just put the rain race tires on. But you think the performance is the same in the dry?

Drive on the track in the rain and you'd understand.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biko
Dude, any car can drive in the rain. Just put the rain race tires on. But you think the performance is the same in the dry?

Drive on the track in the rain and you'd understand.

Dude, it means the performance drop off between dry and wet of the P1 is huge. The 918 with major traction advantage means the delta is a lot smaller. That means Porsche has put a lot more thoughts into designing the 918 than McLaren did with the P1.

And McLaren already has the advantage of having the best traction control software in the business. My 12C has shown it can launch just about as hard as my Turbo S in the wet, but the P1 has more power driving the same size rear wheels. It desperately needs awd to effectively put down all the power like the 918.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 AM
biko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Dude, it means the performance drop off between dry and wet of the P1 is huge. The 918 with major traction advantage means the delta is a lot smaller. That means Porsche has put a lot more thoughts into designing the 918 than McLaren did with the P1.

And McLaren already has the advantage of having the best traction control software in the business. My 12C has shown it can launch just about as hard as my Turbo S in the wet, but the P1 has more power driving the same size rear wheels. It desperately needs awd to effectively put down all the power like the 918.
You've driven the P1 then.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:43 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by biko
You've driven the P1 then.
No I have not. And I have no intention or aspiration to drive a souped up 12C.

Initially I had one on order, but the more I find out about the car the more I don't want one. And I am a huge McLaren fan, I love the F1 and my 12C, I was hoping the P1 would be a proper successor to the F1 but I am very disappointed that it's nothing more than a money grab by McLaren to boost their bottom line.

It maybe the faster car at the top end over the 918, but the 12C heritage and the performance limitation of rwd just put me off. When I spend such a big chunk of money I prefer a bespoke car like the 918. When I saw the 918 for the first time in person I knew I made the right choice, the finishing and attention to details is second to none.

I also drive my cars in all weather conditions, my Turbo S is on winter tires atm and I drive it to ski, I also drive my 12C all year around, yes even in rain storms, but there is a limit to the amazing McLaren traction control system and I have had a few close calls.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
biko
Instructor

Yes AWD does provide a traction advantage in the wet and perhaps for launches in the dry.

But to state that the P1 being 2wd has a "major design fault" and even "F1 cars can race in the rain" implying that that the P1 can't, even though F1 and most race cars are 2wd, simply borders on hysteria.

You almost seem angry at McLaren...
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
No I have not. And I have no intention or aspiration to drive a souped up 12C.

Initially I had one on order, but the more I find out about the car the more I don't want one. And I am a huge McLaren fan, I love the F1 and my 12C, I was hoping the P1 would be a proper successor to the F1 but I am very disappointed that it's nothing more than a money grab by McLaren to boost their bottom line.

It maybe the faster car at the top end over the 918, but the 12C heritage and the performance limitation of rwd just put me off. When I spend such a big chunk of money I prefer a bespoke car like the 918. When I saw the 918 for the first time in person I knew I made the right choice, the finishing and attention to details is second to none.

I also drive my cars in all weather conditions, my Turbo S is on winter tires atm and I drive it to ski, I also drive my 12C all year around, yes even in rain storms, but there is a limit to the amazing McLaren traction control system and I have had a few close calls.
Good Points.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris review of P1