Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

My first impression, reading and watching only the first tests is that the P1 wins.
Seems worth the extra $300K? but who's counting.

I might have a few things wrong but it looks like the P1 agile and light; Plus I like the idea of using green power to eliminate bigger Turbo's lag, it has a 700HP generator in the back used when you don't need all the power. It also runs less on electric in silent more, just needs the electric motor for more power on top of a lot of power. Sounds like a great reason to add 200KG.

The 918 is more smooth and seamless, but you still know its electric motors driving more wheels, seems more complex, heavier, has regenerative braking, and can run longer without starting the motor, but who cares about that? Less good reason to add weight in my simple mind.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to say the more reviews I read or watch on the P1 the more I'm starting to like it, & obviously it blew CH away. It's definitely a home run for McLaren as they're all sold out.

But.....I'm still drawn to the 918....personal preference.

However, McLaren rules the supercar world; first the F1 & now the P1.
Over to you Ferrari......
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advanced prototype "representative" of customer cars ?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
Will be great when the big three cars can be compared side-to-side.
I hope I am very wrong, but I have serious doubts that we will ever see these 3 cars tested independently side-by-side. Ever. Too much at stake, and for McLaren & Ferrari being in too much of a battle in every respect; neither company will pull down their pants to show who has the biggest swingin' d***.

How many years was it before the true, real-world numbers surfaced on the Ferrari F50? A 'Ring time on the Enzo? Or the McLaren F1's mediocre grip in the corners?

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Advanced prototype "representative" of customer cars ?
We may not know for a very long time, will we? Can anyone confirm those nasty rumors of gag orders on P1 owners to not 'loan' their cars out to be tested by journalists or magazines? Sounds like **cough** Ferr... **cough**

Still no 3rd party independent tests verifying accelaration numbers, grip levels, braking distances, etc. No racetrack numbers of any kind. Maybe we'll never see those fun "Vehicle Data Sheets" that break down all the numbers that you see in every Car & Driver, Road & Track or Motor Trend. You know, so you can compare the numbers of your Boxter to the 918, or a P1 to your 1970 LS6 454 Chevelle just for kicks to see just how far we've progressed the performance envelope.

Supposedly, we're going to get "something" in the form of a Top Gear episode with the 918 and P1. "Some Say" yeah, whatever...
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been watching the P1's gestation, and after watching the video last night, I can't believe people are still doubting. Chris Harris is very well respected and his opinion counts to me. As stated by others here, McLaren had a mission to create a car worthy of being the successor to the F1 and I believe they've succeeded. I just hope I'm lucky enough to get to see one someday (have only seen one F1 in person).
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

The reviews have me swayed too .. I have been inquiring in earnest about how to get involved. I am as usual late to the party and so its not clear what the path is beyond buying an existing macca to enter the family, put the deposit in for the P1 and hope someone backs out and be selected.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 528 Posts

Up until about 2 weeks ago, McLaren North America still has 2 allocations unsold, even McLaren Canada was e-mailing potential clients about the last chance to get one when they can't even fill all 10 of their allocations. They sold 7 of those and returned the 3 unassigned allocations late last year and now 2 come back this way.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Chalkboss
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 115 Posts

I am no longer a doubter. OH MY GOD. Not only does it go like stink never has but to me it looks beautiful.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Up until about 2 weeks ago, McLaren North America still has 2 allocations unsold, even McLaren Canada was e-mailing potential clients about the last chance to get one when they can't even fill all 10 of their allocations. They sold 7 of those and returned the 3 unassigned allocations late last year and now 2 come back this way.
i wish that were the case, or i am getting played in some way. spoke to 4 dealers, every one told me the same story. Macca manages the global list and there are few dozen ppl on it.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Ive driven both . Think both are fantastic .
Bought 918 , the end
Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Nice!

Could you share your perspective on the comments about the p1 being "another level" up in performance tab even the 918?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by superquant
Nice!

Could you share your perspective on the comments about the p1 being "another level" up in performance tab even the 918?
The p1 makes it's power in a much more dramatic way than the 918 . The 918 is smooth and almost veyron like , the p1 hisses , roars and shimmys it feels much faster ( and is faster in a straight line at the top end ).
Also remember the p1 can't use it's aero advantage ( chassis race setting is illegal on the road ) as much as the 918 can use it's traction and torque advantage .
It's mechanical vs aero grip .
Regardless , the quality , flexibility , badge , the fact it's a luxuriously appointed spyder etc etc of the 918 is head and shoulders above the p1 . The p1 may be faster on a very flat gp type track but I that's not what I want in a Supercar . You could buy a race car for a fifth of the price and beat either of these cars all day long .
The same things will be said about the la Ferrari , it's amazing , it's on another planet yadda yadda .
Let's see them in 5 years , I have no doubt which car was the most thoroughly tested and developed .
I'm not even mentioning that the press drives of the 918 were not full power cars according to porsche Zentrum uk ( reading) .
For me I made my mind up the minute I experienced both cars and had a good look round them ( I was originally going to buy both but bought a couple of classics instead of the p1) . Chris Harris drives a car for a couple of hours an owner has to live with it . How much of your time will be spent hooning on a track in a million pound car ? These are no owners only car , we are all lucky enough to have much better hooning tools that are much more fun on track . Surely the point of a track day is to interact with your friends , nothing would bore me more than just wizzing around a track in a 918 / p1 or la Ferrari so much faster than all my friends because of the car and not my driving!
The p1 is too much of a one trick pony and not nearly bespoke or special enough (IN MY OPINION ) in relation to the 918 for me at least .hope that helps .
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wtdoom
The p1 makes it's power in a much more dramatic way than the 918 . The 918 is smooth and almost veyron like , the p1 hisses , roars and shimmys it feels much faster ( and is faster in a straight line at the top end ).
Also remember the p1 can't use it's aero advantage ( chassis race setting is illegal on the road ) as much as the 918 can use it's traction and torque advantage .
It's mechanical vs aero grip .
Regardless , the quality , flexibility , badge , the fact it's a luxuriously appointed spyder etc etc of the 918 is head and shoulders above the p1 . The p1 may be faster on a very flat gp type track but I that's not what I want in a Supercar . You could buy a race car for a fifth of the price and beat either of these cars all day long .
The same things will be said about the la Ferrari , it's amazing , it's on another planet yadda yadda .
Let's see them in 5 years , I have no doubt which car was the most thoroughly tested and developed .
I'm not even mentioning that the press drives of the 918 were not full power cars according to porsche Zentrum uk ( reading) .
For me I made my mind up the minute I experienced both cars and had a good look round them ( I was originally going to buy both but bought a couple of classics instead of the p1) . Chris Harris drives a car for a couple of hours an owner has to live with it . How much of your time will be spent hooning on a track in a million pound car ? These are no owners only car , we are all lucky enough to have much better hooning tools that are much more fun on track . Surely the point of a track day is to interact with your friends , nothing would bore me more than just wizzing around a track in a 918 / p1 or la Ferrari so much faster than all my friends because of the car and not my driving!
The p1 is too much of a one trick pony and not nearly bespoke or special enough (IN MY OPINION ) in relation to the 918 for me at least .hope that helps .
very very helpful thanks much
Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was choosing between 918 and P1. I went with the P1. For me, head and shoulders above the 918.

But buy what you like... just cars afterall.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris review of P1