P1 Ring Lap Time Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 951 Posts
Default P1 Ring Lap Time Rumors

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/22/m...urgring-rumor/

McLaren P1 throwing down the gauntlet with 6:30 Nürburgring lap time?

The magic mark at the Nürburgring once stood in the sevens. Anything that could lap the vaunted Nordschleife in less than eight minutes was considered biblically fast. But with all manner of vehicles clocking lap times that start with a seven, the goal post has moved below the seven-minute mark and into the sixes.

Discounting barely-legal track cars from Radical, whose LMP-style pseudo-racers top the time charts, the Porsche 918 Spyder holds the record as the fastest street-legal production car ever to lap the Ring at 6:57. A blindingly fast lap time, to be sure, but the 918 isn't the only new hybrid hypercar in its class. According to official factory statements, the McLaren P1 has lapped the winding German circuit in under seven minutes. And rumor has it that its actual lap time, though not confirmed, was clocked at 6:47. That would already make it considerably faster than the Porsche, but that's not the end of the story.

According to an unnamed inside source cited by Autocar, the P1 has actually lapped the Nürburgring in "six minutes 30 something." That would make it nearly half a minute faster than the Porsche, and a good ten seconds quicker even than the Radical SR8 LM. For its part, McLaren has yet to confirm the time, but we're sure it will in due course.

For that matter, though Maranello has tested the new LaFerrari to the track, it has yet to announce any official time. But with the gauntlet thrown down, we wouldn't be surprised to see a scarlet-clad test team heading north to Germany in the near future. The last time they did, they clocked a 6:58 lap time with the 599XX, but while production-based, that car was never meant to drive on public streets.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

More/Pure nonsense again from McLaren, with it's continued Whisper campaign, via it's British Cohorts in the media. SMH

When will the insanity stop?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 AM
xybyx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mclaren, Autocar, seriously?
Trying to challenge people's IQ with this?
Come on....
Old 01-23-2014, 07:17 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

not surprising actually, if you consider active aero and 2G cornering and braking
Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

3 questions (even if the P1 claim is true which, if so, why not just officially post it???): what could an enthusiast do themselves with each car? Which car would an enthusiast enjoy more (sorry, for being squeamish, the P1 video showing part of the Ring frightened me where as the 918 video didn't and I don't think this is due to any deep down biasness)? And, even in this most exceptional (notoriously difficult track), do these lap times really matter for the overall enjoyment of the car?

If I had to answer for the CGT, I doubt I could come close to its official Ring lap time (and would likely total my car trying to do so); don't know firsthand about the 918 or P1, but the poise and character of the CGT is hard (if not impossible) to match in terms of raw enjoyment; and despite almost no luggage space, I most enjoy the car to go on long adventurous trips (with the drive itself becoming more important than the cool destination I am headed towards). As EVO wrote so well, engineering metrics beyond a certain point speak little as to the overall "emotional" feel of driving the car.

I think we have probably stepped beyond this point and descended into locker room bragging amongst fans who either couldn't afford any of these cars drive them to near these limits, and so must argue based upon these metrics like baseball fans would do with key statistics. Sure, nothing wrong in and of itself, and there is always an engineering fascination and respect for any car, but time around the Ring (something F1 long ago abandoned) is not the be all and end all. Do I admire such feats on such a difficult track? Yes, absolutely! But for the enjoyment of a car, I take into account so many other factors over that...
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
3 questions (even if the P1 claim is true which, if so, why not just officially post it???): what could an enthusiast do themselves with each car? Which car would an enthusiast enjoy more (sorry, for being squeamish, the P1 video showing part of the Ring frightened me where as the 918 video didn't and I don't think this is due to any deep down biasness)? And, even in this most exceptional (notoriously difficult track), do these lap times really matter for the overall enjoyment of the car?

If I had to answer for the CGT, I doubt I could come close to its official Ring lap time (and would likely total my car trying to do so); don't know firsthand about the 918 or P1, but the poise and character of the CGT is hard (if not impossible) to match in terms of raw enjoyment; and despite almost no luggage space, I most enjoy the car to go on long adventurous trips (with the drive itself becoming more important than the cool destination I am headed towards). As EVO wrote so well, engineering metrics beyond a certain point speak little as to the overall "emotional" feel of driving the car.

I think we have probably stepped beyond this point and descended into locker room bragging amongst fans who either couldn't afford any of these cars drive them to near these limits, and so must argue based upon these metrics like baseball fans would do with key statistics. Sure, nothing wrong in and of itself, and there is always an engineering fascination and respect for any car, but time around the Ring (something F1 long ago abandoned) is not the be all and end all. Do I admire such feats on such a difficult track? Yes, absolutely! But for the enjoyment of a car, I take into account so many other factors over that...
Agreed. I call it the Nurburgring arms race. Problem is the manufacturers don't realize that it really only matters to them and the car journalists that feed off them. One of the reasons we ended up with a GT3 with no manual transmission.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts

Don't worry about it, even concern yourself so much about it Stephen. It's not worth it.

It's clear (with any cursory research, information, common sense), that McLaren's has an Internet campaign, instead of actually Ring use time/records.

With all that we know (especially through Bridge and Gantry, and other regulars that are there or have access to the information), McLaren hasn't close to a 6:59, a 6:48, mind you a properly documented 6:30 time with witnesses and full video. That's just nonsense, such as Steve Sutcliffe's recent 5G cornering claims (which eventually was never retracted, and only noted in the comments section). The best we know of is, a 7:04 from Bridge & Gantry, otherwise, McLaren hasn't even been there (The Ring) again as far as we know.

This is all sector, simulator, internet/media deception nonsense McLaren's been/continues to perpetrate on us apparently. And quite frankly, it's getting boring. What's the deal Mclaren?.....Nothing here/there, it appears (though as long as some people believe them, I guess it's working, credibility be damned to any potential customers who know better)!

PS: I have a sneaky suspicion (just my speculation), McLaren may provide Ringer cars to the press as well. It's either that, or they're trying to boost/better the car in the interim, if that's possible? The car just appears to be managed, like a political campaign with a shaky candidate. Somethings not right, amiss.

As of now, only select, near jingoistic, though incomplete British press accounts have tested the P1 (along with some ambiguous, questionable, to downright laughable claims by them). And apparently, new owners have Ferrari like agreements, where they aren't allowed to offer the cars for comparison testing, because McLaren will provide it for them in those scenarios.

If this is true, along with everything McLaren's done up to this point, it really makes you wonder exactly What's Going On (as The Late Great Marvin Gaye would say) in Woking, and take their continued/conflicting statements with more than a grain (probably a pound) of salt? It's really an "Assault To The Senses", but in a bad way, cause it's our collective common senses that are being assaulted here.

This is all in stark contrast to the very professional, matter of fact approach Porsche's been taking, and the virtual silent one Ferrari has with their offerings. Both appear to be spending more time working on their cars, while McLaren seem to be working equally, if not harder on their media/Internet Ring time campaign, reputation. Is this really all because, Ron Dennis wrote a check his posterior couldn't cash (with all his grandiose statements way back when, on what the P1 could do, and the amount of track records it would break)? You can't make this stuff up.

My two cents/No Flame.

Last edited by CarMaven; 01-24-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
not surprising actually, if you consider active aero and 2G cornering and braking
Uh.. i think it would be a huge surprise for any road car on road tyres to have been able to do a 6:3X time as Mclaren seem happy to suggest.

Which leads me to my other point, I think Mclaren's whole approach on the ring time issue has been completely wrong and frankly think it's been almost insulting to everyone else like Radical/Porsche/Nissan who whether or not one thinks their cars were ringers at least had observers and put up a proper video documenting any claimed lap. Even if one could understand the sudden u-turn with not wanting to further the ring lap time war (and with Ferrari likely itching to make a counter claim), the constant dropping hints/leaks about the time by Mclaren has been very poor in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:19 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Originally Posted by isv
Uh.. i think it would be a huge surprise for any road car on road tyres to have been able to do a 6:3X time as Mclaren seem happy to suggest.
Well it's a huge surprise, stretches credulity really, that any road car on road tires could pull 2G. But if that's what it can do, as McLaren claims, and also given the aero is active (think DRS), then I can imagine 6:30.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agreed. I call it the Nurburgring arms race. Problem is the manufacturers don't realize that it really only matters to them and the car journalists that feed off them.
Obviously not true.

But that's what McLaren has said also and why they aren't publishing the time. Well that's what they say. It's a quite clever marketing ploy. Even if they are significantly faster than the 918 it's so much more tricky to withold the time than to publish it! As in all things from corporate PR, you are being manipulated. Sorry to be so cynical. Still, it really gives us something to think about. The plan is working perfectly ...

Back to the 2G, if that's the reason the McLaren can be so quick, then no enthusiast is going to realize that performance. Normal people will freak the ef out at 1.5G, 2G is a world past that. That said, a normal person (untrained race driver) would not be able to realize the full performance envelope of "even" the 918.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mousecatcher

Obviously not true.

But that's what McLaren has said also and why they aren't publishing the time. Well that's what they say. It's a quite clever marketing ploy. Even if they are significantly faster than the 918 it's so much more tricky to withold the time than to publish it! As in all things from corporate PR, you are being manipulated. Sorry to be so cynical. Still, it really gives us something to think about. The plan is working perfectly ....
To each his own. My point is that the whole Ring time media hype is a self-feeding exercise that has little real relevance to the way most hypercar buyers will actually use the cars.

EOD, manufacturers and magazines exist to promote their products. Are their good journalists out there that do a credible job of being fair and critical? Sure. Chris Harris and Pete Stout top the list, but I'd argue they're the exception to the rule. And even Harris found out the price when you really speak your mind about a manufacturer's product or policies - witness his current relationship with Ferrari.

When I bought my RS I gave a rat's a** about it's Ring time. I based my decision on time spent at track days talking to owner's, getting rides and drives. I'd be really surprised if a prospective buyer of a P1 suddenly did an about face and bought a 918 because it was x secs faster around the Ring.

Last edited by Nizer; 01-23-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
heynow
Advanced

I am having a lot of trouble believing this rumor. If it were in fact true, would McLaren, which had trouble selling the P1 have announced it <i>before</i> they "sold out". Even thought the whole ring time thing is a hype number, the sales and marketing folks would certainly have jumped on it as a selling point. As far as the 2G goes, that just does not seem possible on street tires, period..
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Don't worry about it, even concern yourself so much about it Stephen. It's not worth it.

It's clear (with any cursory research, information, common sense), that McLaren's has an Internet campaign, instead of actually Ring use time/records.

Will all that we know (especially through Bridge and Gantry, and other regulars that are there or have access to the information), McLaren hasn't close to a 6:59, a 6:48, mind you a properly documented 6:30 time with witnesses and full video. That's just nonsense, like Steve Sutcliffe's recent 5G cornering claims (that eventually was never retracted, and only noted in the comments section). The best we know of is, a 7:04 from Bridge & Gantry. Otherwise, McLaren hasn't even been there (The Ring) again as far as we know.

This is all sector, simulator, internet/media deception nonsense McLaren's been/continues to perpetrate on us apparently. And quite frankly, it's getting boring. Put up or shut up Mclaren.....Nothing here (though as long as some people believe them, I guess it's working, credibility be damned to any potential customers who know better)!

PS: I have a sneaky suspicion (just my speculation), McLaren may provide Ringer cars to the press as well. It's either that, or they're trying to boost/better the car in the interim, if that's possible? The car just appears to be managed. Somethings not right, amiss.

As of now, only select British press has tested it (along with some ambiguous, questionable, to downright laughable claims by them). And apparently, new owners have Ferrari like agreements, where they aren't allowed to offer the cars for comparison testing, because McLaren will provide it for them in those scenarios.

If this is true, along with everything McLaren's done up to this point, it really makes you wonder exactly What's Going On (as Marvin Gaye would say) in Woking, and take their continued/conflicting statements with more than a grain (probably a pound) of salt? It's really an "Assault To The Senses", but in a bad way (cause it's common sense that's being assaulted here).

This is all in stark contrast to the very professional, matter of fact approach Porsche's been taking, and the virtual silent one Ferrari has with their offerings. Both appear to be spending more time working on their cars, while McLaren seem to be working equally, if not harder on their media/Internet Ring time campaign. Is this really all because, Ron Dennis wrote a check his posterior couldn't cash (with all his grandiose statements way back when, on what the P1 could do, and the amount of track records it would break)? You can't make this stuff up.

My two cents/No Flame.
I have purposely stayed out of any discussions involvong the P1 on Rennlist, because I have literally written books on other forums. So I will just say for now that I agree with this post, and it only scratches the tip of the iceberg.

My latest immature rant from Teamspeed:
Originally Posted by salihbjk ğ
I've learned today that the car went significantly faster than the 918. That's all I can say.

So, what then can you add exactly? I'm not attacking you personally Salihbjk, so apologies in advance.

But that is the same type of statement made 300 times a day on the internet about this car. Everybody on the "inside" knows exactly how fast this car is; yet every car enthusiast or possible future McLaren buyer is made to eat crow until when exactly? Oh, releasing numbers are a "risk" now. “It doesn’t matter to anyone except those who will own the P1.” others have mentioned. Bollocks! What about ‘future’ owners of the brand? Does the company’s reputation matter now, or are we all in it for the quick buck?

McLaren can suck it and it's 'Ring time. How long has the car been out now and not a single independent number has been confirmed by a 3rd party source? McLaren can bulls**t the rest of the world into believing the performance was all about the Nurburgring, yet so many other racetracks exist. Safer ones too. Oh...it's winter. Right. There are only racetracks and roads in the northern hemisphere... They’re worried Ferrari will one-up them down the road. It goes round and round.

No journalist has driven the car without a McLaren employee sitting in the passenger seat, and not a single 3rd party entity has been given the car thus far with the exception of Top Gear. And their numbers are where? Not EVO, AmS, CAR magazine, no American car mag, no Austrailian car mag, not a single drive by Chris Harris or any other reputable journo, nothing.

We’ve heard it all now:
‘Ring times way under 6:57, 9.8 @ 152mph quarter mile times, 0-186mph in 16.5, 3.9 G’s in the corners, stability at speed unrivaled by GT3 race cars, braking better than any other road car in history, the list goes on… Care to test that last claim against a 991 GT3 with PCCB’s? Think you’ll ever see a P1 vs GT3 vs C7 ZO6 vs GTR vs LaF vs 918 vs Viper vs ? at the 2014 Motor Trend driver’s car of the year? Keep dreaming.

McLaren claims that ‘Ring times are dangerous, unofficial and open to cheating. They are right of course. But why not take the higher road here? Release the car. A customer spec car. Not a Ferrari press car. Give it to the journos to test. Tell them to get real world numbers on the car. Hell, tell them to go out and try to break the car if they can – show them and us that they are confident in their creation.

Porsche essentially builds a car, for good or bad, and in due time tosses the keys to the motoring world and asks, "How'd we do?" McLaren, Ferrari, Nissan, et al build one-offs, bring teams of engineers and sometimes multiple cars along with them to 3rd party tests under threats and then hide behind their history while misdirecting and obfuscating their own accomplishments behind walls and changing politics.

IF the statement in bold above in CarMaven's Rennlist post is proven to be true, then McLaren will have lost nearly all of my respect and possible future business. The pieces are starting to come together as to why there has been no independent 3rd party testing of the P1.

On a positive note, I do believe that the claim of 2G's cornering ability with street tires is actually possible, and here is why:

Link to MotorTrend's 2013 Best Drivers Car: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html

In reference to Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car 2013 - if you scroll down and take a look at the data sheets on each car & the track numbers at Laguna Seca you will notice that the G's recorded in the corners on many of the cars exceeds 1.5 G's. The winner, although not the fastest, was the 991 911 C4S which recorded 1.80 Lateral G's in Turn 8a for instance.

Now imagine what a 991 GT3 might accomplish, same day, same conditions. Enter the P1 with nearly the same weight as a GT3, almost twice the power and gobs more downforce. Is it possible? Not to toss another rumor out there about the P1, but there was a turn or two on the 'Ring where apparently the P1 generated 3.9G Lateral. But then we're back to the speculation...

Food for thought, but anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
To each his own. My point is that the whole Ring time media hype is a self-feeding exercise that has little real relevance to the way most hypercar buyers will actually use the cars.
That, I agree with. And disagree.

A fast time around the ring represents a fast time in real world conditions -- long straights, bumpy corners, etc. I mean, it's WAY more representative than manufacturer test tracks or public tracks. eg, a :30 faster car at the ring has either way more power or way more lateral grip or both, and a real user will notice that.

That said, on public roads you just can't get to those kinds of speeds and as a recent FR-S owner I'm now a staunch believer in crappy tires. The beauty of that car is that you can actually reach the limits of the car at public road speeds and DRIVING the car at the limit is so much fun.

So is driving a supercar, gt3, cgt, 458, what have you, but it's a different kind of fun.

Ring times certainly don't tell you that kind of detail.

Anyway I challenged you because that's not what you actually said earlier. Smart folks treat the data smartly, but ring times do matter to regular people, not just the "journalists". I mean part of owning any performance car is bragging rights!

I think when it comes down to it we are probably not too far away from each other's position and if we had a beer I bet we'd convince each other of our version of the Truth.

Originally Posted by Zeus
In reference to Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car 2013 - if you scroll down and take a look at the data sheets on each car & the track numbers at Laguna Seca you will notice that the G's recorded in the corners on many of the cars exceeds 1.5 G's. The winner, although not the fastest, was the 991 911 C4S which recorded 1.80 Lateral G's in Turn 8a for instance.
No way. I refuse to believe this. What's certainly going on here is that their device is not a 3 axis device and it's adding the y component of the z acceleration to the lat g reading. 8a is steeply downhill and the z acceleration will have a very large contribution to the y (lateral).

Last edited by mousecatcher; 01-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:24 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For god sake people how can you even listen to that crap ? That's faster than a full blown rsr with slicks .
From what I see the race mode is too low for the ring . They had not gone under 7 , we were told this in Germany when I was one of the first people to go out in it ( the p1).
They said they would have to go back , then they did and announced that they were testing and didn't set any times . Then magically a time is announced ( sort of ). When did this take place ? Lol
I don't buy it even though I have repeatedly said ( and still do say ) I expect the p1 to be a monster on flat gp type tracks . The ring ? , the only verified time is the 704 timed by bridge to gantry ( who have been there every time the p1 [ and 918/LaFerrari ] have as far as I know and that's the fastest they have timed ) , they know porsche going back this year with the final spec 918 and Ferrari haven't even done it yet . As peloton said when they said they would break the record no one had gone below 7 mins so the 704 was actually record breaking ( shattering actually ) when you discount the 918 and LaFerrari .

Ron wrote a cheque with his mouth they could not cash at the ring . Look what they did with the top gear time , look what they did with the 12c ring time with sport auto , they made videos, cakes and shouted it from the highest rooftop . Now the ring time is a terrible and dangerous thing with p1, it's not important ? I don't buy or get it . The tech guy admitted to me they couldn't get under 7 , I have witnesses " we HAVE to go back " . Then they have a time when the only time they went back was to not to set any time , WTF? . They are a racing company and seem to love the stats , no way they wouldn't boast about a ring record . No way . No amount of innuendo and childish smileys will change that .
No big deal , move on and forget about it ! Set times at spa , at silver stone where the apparently brilliant aero and extremely low ground clearance can shine . No one will race these things anyway .
My problem with this behaviour is that it is insulting , it's an affront to those that actually go out there , put it on the line , take independent observers , show video , use vln recognised time keepers etc etc . Any way you look at it it's unsavoury behaviour , unbecoming of a company like mclaren . Put up or shut up , it's very very simple .
I'm sure they can set a fast time , I'm convinced of it after my drive but don't pull these stunts . Don't undermine others achievements in such a low , borderline cowardly manner .
That's some unsavoury sheeeeeeeeet ! Step in the ring or put away your gloves .
Bruce would not have played it so .
Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing sutcliffe crashed the p1 . Damaged suspension and broke a wheel .

Quick Reply: P1 Ring Lap Time Rumors