P1 Ring Lap Time Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

GVA-SFO

I haven't driven the Ring since 1993 with the Suderia Hanseat. Comparing the Ring to other tracks is like chalk and cheese. The course doesn't suffer fools gladly. Youre absolutely right in that the previous experience of the driver on the Ring is paramount. There are countless blind crests that look similar on approach, but differ greatly after they crest. Even a seasoned Ringer will have to deal with weather conditions that differ during a lap. Some small rain or remaining dew in a shaded area has a great affect on grip. Even two seasoned drivers may have different performance just due to weather.

Now put one driver in both cars and let him test over a couple days! and you will have a better quantitative difference between the machinery.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree in getting rid of the ring as the measuring stick when it comes to crap like this. If you look at the official quickest lap times, you're not going to find much from McLaren themselves in listing official times. For me that tells me that for them Ring times hold little water. Sure it's great if the P1 did what some nut said what it did, but they're not out there waving the flag saying that they managed to get "This Time"! They know it's more than Ring times that sell cars.

Besides I would still rather have an McLaren F1 from the 90s than anything they offer right now.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:16 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, Ron Dennis' outspoke, public proclamation at the 2013 Geneva Auto Show that the P1 would break the 7 min barrier at the ring suggests that McLaren DID put some stock in Ring times...

I don't disagree with the notion that Ring times are of limited value when so close, but McLaren has been deliberately marketing their Ring exploits (without actually, you know, confirming a time...)

Quick Reply: P1 Ring Lap Time Rumors