Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing a CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the wheels are seal grey (same as mine). Sorry, this most amazing car shop cleaning place is in Norway? Anything like it in Switzerland or Germany I wonder?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 AM
bjornto
AutoX

Originally Posted by Wile
Crazy man Bjornto! Inspiring link indeed! How many hours did it take to clean the whole car? We have in Scandinavia a bit different situation with dust etc since the use of spike wheels during the winter...
It took 29 hours
Old 12-04-2013, 03:02 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
I think the wheels are seal grey (same as mine). Sorry, this most amazing car shop cleaning place is in Norway? Anything like it in Switzerland or Germany I wonder?
Or any detailer like that in SoCal?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

I wash my CGT regularly (3-4 times per year) with hose and a good car shampoo, plus two buckets with grit mits. Interior with swissvax cleaner or leather conditioner periodically. I air dry the car with a blower then microfiber towel. The engine bay i do with a damp cloth. I have a white FordGT and I do the same. I use the cars, sometimes it rains, sometimes they just get too dusty because i have a gravel driveway.

Doesn't seem like a big deal. I have never heard of not washing my cars (literally with water rather than sprays from a can). I can't imagine that being a problem for any production car of the past 50 years. Washing a car for an hour is part of building a relationship with it. This includes finding and knowing the tiny little mars that come from building that relationship on the road too. In europe they call this patina and it is a valued thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

some of the replies crack me up.

oh noes, the car may have a water spot on the paint under a tailight that you'll never see....the horrrorrrr.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:24 AM
WanderingPurist
Advanced

Default Plastique999 or anyone interested in SoCal detailer

Plastique999 or anyone interested in SoCal detailer - I know the detailer who is the only person allowed by the current owner to touch this -

Lancia Stratos Zero unique concept car from 1970 (full running gear, Emmo did donuts in the Bertone parking lot back in the day...)

He ain't cheap - I hear a complete exterior and interior is $1000 plus depending on condition of the car - but he / they are very good.

Email or PM me if this doesn't scare you off and are still interested. (I know the owner of the Zero and info is from him)

Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

This is the only one I let clean my car. Also charges $1,000 for a "cleaning".
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wash each of my non daily drivers after 2-4 weeks of driving them or if the bugs on the front end double stack. I then park that car and rotate to the next one for the same period. This routine lets them all get driven regularly, gives me the enjoyment of driving and the therapy of cleaning.

The CGT takes 2 hours to do it right and I do soak the motor with high pressure, dry the top and exposed areas off while the engine running will dry the rest. I've never had a problem and do the same with all of my cars. The CGT has 5k, and the others around 7k each.

The only car NOT washed with a hose is the 55 Speedster, that car gets it from a spray bottle.

Life's too short to just look at this stuff sitting in the garage, that's not me. The appreciation I have isn't measured in $ value retention.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
some of the replies crack me up.

oh noes, the car may have a water spot on the paint under a tailight that you'll never see....the horrrorrrr.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Quite the collection you have there Peter. I rarely, rarely give a second look at folks' stables but yours really rings with me. And to think, they are all drivers! Will you be replacing the 458 with a speciale?

ps. I'm available for adoption.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Randy K
Rennlist Member

An important point that should be noted is that when you are washing or working on a Porsche it is always a good idea to have no hard surfaces on you that might scratch the finish.

My mechanic, seeking to be in compliance with my wishes, brought in the "soft surface crew" to work on the 911S. Close, but no cigar .. I told him that the crew needed to lose the shoes!
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Quite the collection you have there Peter. I rarely, rarely give a second look at folks' stables but yours really rings with me. And to think, they are all drivers! Will you be replacing the 458 with a speciale? ps. I'm available for adoption.
Thank you
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Quite the collection you have there Peter. I rarely, rarely give a second look at folks' stables but yours really rings with me. And to think, they are all drivers! Will you be replacing the 458 with a speciale? ps. I'm available for adoption.
Thank you very much.

Regarding the Speciale, very possible...
Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

I don't know Randy, does it also take the full 29 hours (as bjornto referred to above) even with two professionals on the job? And, in case you need one for travel, it is convenient that they are both wearing the factory approved basic travel kit for a passenger in the CGT. Cheers!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 PM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

For the first two years owning my CGT - never washed, always Quick Detailer at the end of the drive (especially to rid the smiling dead bugs). Next two years, started washing the car normally with soap and water (I thought wiping dirt with a microfiber towel and detailer might be scratching the paint and I should just hose it off - no special care of engine covering was done). But I agree with one member... the water spots are a pain. Now I'm back to trying to keep it clean and covered - avoiding the hose, rather than just letting it sit dirty and eventually hose washing.
I would like to find someone in S. Ca with some experience to wash/detial it for a couple hundies... but $1k??? It's just a car with paint and leather like most others.

Quick Reply: washing a CGT