Sponsored by:

washing a CGT

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:15 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default washing a CGT

Quick question, when you wash the CGT, do you cover the engine bay mesh or leave it open, then drive the car to "blow dry" the engine compartment?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 AM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmm...come to think of it, I've never washed my CGT; I always use a duster, followed by quick detailer. The car just never gets dirty enough to warrant a wash. However, if I ever did wash it, I would most certainly cover the engine. i just would not want to risk hard water spotting inside the engine compartment. A couple of large towels laid carefully over the engine (and under the hatch, without fully closing the rear hatch) should work nicely. Avoid spraying water directly into the compartment.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:13 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by W. MITTY
Hmm...come to think of it, I've never washed my CGT; I always use a duster, followed by quick detailer.
+1 There's no reason to wash the car with a hose unless it's coated with grit. I use a spray and plenty of clean microfiber towels.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:43 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how dirty can they get sitting in a garage their whole life ?
Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
how dirty can they get sitting in a garage their whole life ?
Not much and nothing a duster can't take care off
Old 11-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which duster is best to use?

I drove in the canyons and the car is a bit dirty, time for a wash
Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Have to admit to only washing mine a few times myself, but have never covered anything or taken any precautions. If you want to wash it, wash it! It's a Porsche - I'm sure it was engineered to handle water.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:39 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I wash my car and even do the engine one or twice a year. use a presser sprayer with spotless water with limited force. stay away from the front of the engine where the alternator is, some people cover it to keep the water off.
Some us P21s total auto wash, and brush areas in the engine department. Need to run the engine for while after to dry off before you put it away.
There is a post hear about detailing a CGT that is excellent.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Randy K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wash my car when it is dirty. I have driven this car in driving rain coming home from a Porsche event in Arkansas ... never any problems.

I have never covered the back screen when I am driving it in the rain and have never had any problems so therefore would see no need to cover it when washing the car.

Obviously my car is no garage queen and is enjoyed rather than pampered.

Since this is one of the few Porsches I own that will never suffer from any rust issues, I can't see any reason not to wash it when it gets dirty.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 PM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 73 Posts

Just to clarify; unless a car is driven in the rain or abused and allowed to sit with road grime and bug guts on it, a wash is generally not required or desirable. Washing a car with a hose or any other water source is a last resort. It's not really a question of pampering the car, its the simple fact that unless you have a devoted softening system, the minerals in the water are a pain to remove in places where the water is allowed to dry (body seams, behind tail lights, etc.) I've been lucky to own lots of cool exotics, and believe me, I drive 'em. Just not in the rain if I can avoid it. Accordingly, I can count on one hand the number of times I have hose washed an exotic. I also dust them every time I drive, simply because it bugs me to walk out into the garage and see a dirty $400,000 car. My Ford GT has 16,000 miles on it, and I don't think I've ever put water on it. I don't think I'm alone; most of the car guys I know are not active hose washers. I buy Meguires Last Touch detailer in five gallon containers from my local body shop supply house. Saves a ton of money.

BTW, compressed air works great to blow the water out of body seams for cars that do get washed. Some detailers use a super effective portable softening system, but they are not cheap. Just say no to hose washing
Old 11-30-2013, 08:24 PM
bjornto
AutoX

Originally Posted by maomao911
Quick question, when you wash the CGT, do you cover the engine bay mesh or leave it open, then drive the car to "blow dry" the engine compartment?
I actually USE my CGT. Locally in Norway and road trips to France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria etc.
It's not my daily driver, but I drive quite frequently. Not on icy roads, and not with salt on the roads. Rain is no problem, this is a PORSCHE! It rains through the mesh, obviously you can wash your car not covering the mesh. Rinse open areas gently without too much pressure.

Detailing of my CGT, (text in Norwegian) cool pics :
http://www.detailersclub.no/forum/to...era-gt-by-tcs/
Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjornto
I actually USE my CGT. Locally in Norway and road trips to France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria etc.
It's not my daily driver, but I drive quite frequently. Not on icy roads, and not with salt on the roads. Rain is no problem, this is a PORSCHE! It rains through the mesh, obviously you can wash your car not covering the mesh. Rinse open areas gently without too much pressure.

Wow: I know there is NO chance I would have the attention span to complete that task. Great JOB
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjornto

Excellent detail! Talk about attention to detail.

Btw, I noticed your wheels are a gunmetal or hyperblack - did you have them painted or powder coated?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 AM
bjornto
AutoX

Originally Posted by Plastique999
Excellent detail! Talk about attention to detail.

Btw, I noticed your wheels are a gunmetal or hyperblack - did you have them painted or powder coated?
The color is perfect in my opinion. It was done by the previous owner, and it is painted. I would definitely have chosen powder coating myself. But that being said, the paint is still without any blemishes or chipping.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Wile
4th Gear

Crazy man Bjornto! Inspiring link indeed! How many hours did it take to clean the whole car? We have in Scandinavia a bit different situation with dust etc since the use of spike wheels during the winter...

Quick Reply: washing a CGT