Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 road show not what it seems

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 918 Roadshow at The Thermal on Thursday Nov 21st!

Gents: I was invited today to attend the Thursday event as a guest of someone that has already put the second tranche of the hefty 918 deposit with PCNA & is a current Carrera GT owner. Even he was miffed that the event was actually 'on', after not hearing back from the '918 Concierge' after he requested many weeks ago confirmation that the event was a definite 'go'! Nevertheless, I am the beneficiary of the 'lucky guest driver' slot re: his particular 918 roadshow invitation. And I will report back with news & photos from the event.

http://www.thethermalclub.com/

If any Rennlister is also there that day (this Thursday), please pm or email me to see if we can connect during the event.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

'Custom Ordering' Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

'Visit to Zuffenhausen' Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...a-991-gt3.html

'Boxster Spyder Total Production' Thread https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Why wouldn't you put $200k down? If you don't like it they will refund it. I'd do it just to get a test drive. On a track no less.

"Sorry, I don't like this car. It's been tracked." lol
Not sure if kidding. I would imagine anyone who made it to the "received an invitation" stage had already been identified by Porsche to be a bonafide potential customer for a 918. Asking for a $200K deposit to attend after the fact is an insult.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

"Sorry, I don't like this car. It's been tracked." lol
Haha! Funny.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Not sure if kidding. I would imagine anyone who made it to the "received an invitation" stage had already been identified by Porsche to be a bonafide potential customer for a 918. Asking for a $200K deposit to attend after the fact is an insult.
And that's why it's acceptable to treat it as a crash deposit, not a serious purchase deposit.

In a respectable situation, you wouldn't fraudulently make the deposit knowing full well you aren't serious.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

And that's why it's acceptable to treat it as a crash deposit, not a serious purchase deposit.
I don't interpret the request as a 'crash deposit'. As a guest 918 driver on Thursday at The Thermal Club, I am sure I will have to sign a waiver in case I am 'injured', & not hold THEM responsible for that eventuality. But I also don't expect I will have to sign anything that holds me financially responsible for any damage to the 918 should an accident happen while I am driving the car. And neither should anyone else that has been invited by PCNA to participate in this 918 driving event - whether that person is a qualified buyer (for which he has transferred to Porsche already a non-refundable cash deposit of nearly $500K), or is a new prospective buyer with refundable $200K in a last minute deposit, or is simply accompanying a buyer or prospective buyer as a 'simple' guest. I have a 'ZERO, ZILCH, NADA' deposit with Porsche and I expect to be driving a 918 on Thursday!

Like many of you, I have been to many test driving events with Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz and other brands, either for a fee or for free. I have never been held responsible for any damage to one of the company vehicles used at these events. And I have not seen anyone else being held responsible for any damage either. However, I have seen some 'bad' drivers booted from the track once they have demonstrated an inability to follow directions, drive prudently or behave in an inappropriate or unsafe manner.

For sure, there is something unusual going on re: these late date requests for $200K deposits. It is a marketing strategy of dubious value that is turning off some potential buyers and MANY long-term Porsche enthusiasts. But I just don't think it's a 'crash deposit'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I don't interpret the request as a 'crash deposit'.
Neither did I. Bad choice of phrase. I just meant that I felt it was fair to be disingenous about your intentions, given their schmuckery.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 780 Likes on 362 Posts

I'll be looking forward to your report.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm headed out at first light to Thermal for a test drive, if it turns out to be just tire kicking Oh Well !
I'll report my adventure in a day or 2.
Marty
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
And neither should anyone else that has been invited by PCNA to participate in this 918 driving event - whether that person is a qualified buyer (for which he has transferred to Porsche already a non-refundable cash deposit of nearly $500K), or is a new prospective buyer with refundable $200K in a last minute deposit, or is simply accompanying a buyer or prospective buyer as a 'simple' guest. I have a 'ZERO, ZILCH, NADA' deposit with Porsche and I expect to be driving a 918 on Thursday!...Eduardo
I rode up with my friend - who has the 918 deposit - to Indian Wells today in a Racing Yellow 991 Carrera S Cabrio! We are on our way to The Thermal Club first thing tomorrow morning for the 918 test drive. He clarified one important point that is different from what I wrote earlier this week (see above post). Initially, PCNA was going to ask for an additional $225K second tranche this year, on top of his initial $200 deposit. But there was a change in policy at PCNA and the second $225K tranche was NEVER requested. So he only has a $200K deposit in total with Porsche. His 918 specs are already 'locked' in place and his vehicle is scheduled to be built in January of 2014. The only major modification from the original understanding he had with Porsche re: price is that the 'destination charge' has been increase to $2,975 from the standard $995. But there is a possibility that all 918's will be air freighted to the US from Germany, rather than sent by ship. That is so that Porsche can get access to the balance of the money owe on each of these cars ASAP! Only that air shipment could justify the extra $2K charge, I would think! But we will see if that is the case.

My friend has peculiar tastes in Porsches. The 991 cabrio is his wife's car. His 'own' Porsches are a Carrera GT (which he bought new at a discount from MSRP via an eBay auction from a dealer in upstate New York) and a low mileage 959 that was initially sold to a collector in Japan. Both are 'Silver' in color. And, unsurprisingly, the 918 he has ordered will also be painted 'Silver'.

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS Marty (Maltese Falcon), looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,652 Likes on 2,325 Posts

marty and eduardo, have fun tomorrow. i eagerly awaits your reports.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

How many of the 918 are coming to US? They might have cut back on the US production numbers due to the change in Euro to US dollar exchange rate?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one will crash the cars , the traction control is turned up and the cars are not full power .
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

From today at Thermal Club Raceway, a very impressive presentation of the 918 Spyder. I was accompanying a friend that is in the first 100 buyers group and he needed my opinion on his purchase. We have known each other since 1979, when we both bought our 930s and became good Porsche friends. The static display of the 918 in the main showroom was stunning, right down to the acid green brake calipers. Porsche staff was on their game, answered our technical questions, and all in a friendly upbeat manner. Now to the track...
Thermal Club Raceway , although not yet complete, had enough roadcourse for this arrive+drive 918 event. First; an instructor takes you for a few laps in the Panamera plug-in electric, then you swictch seats with him. Kind of impressed how this heavy 4 door can carve up the roadcourse. Second; the hot-shoe instructor takes you
around in the 918, then you switch seats. Just a standard dot
seatbelt, however I would have liked to use a full harness once
orbiting at speed. The instructor likes you to let the pdk shift for you
during the beginning of 20 minute stint, initially on e-drive, then
switching to the flat-crank v8.
During the last few laps, he instructs you to paddle shift up/ down.
The driver to car feedback is instantaneous, almost animated feeling.

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 11-22-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

...continued...
Guiding the 918 through the rumble strips, there is a real sturdiness to the car, no understeer push or tailwagging oversteer...explained to me by Nick (my hot-shoe instructor) all due to the carbon tub design of the 918. A real sensory overload of white knuckle acceleration out of the turns, excellent late braking , and setting up for upcoming turn ins, and each lap more confident with a rewarding driving experience.
This technology in a street driven sports car will be hard to match by most auto manufacturers. My opinion of driving the 918 at speed today
is that the engineers in Zuffenhausen have once again raised the bar .
Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default At The Thermal Club 918 Test Drive

Attached are some photos. Report to follow!

Marty, I missed meeting you today. But I concur with you - Porsche has raised the bar! The driving of this incredible machine brought a smile to my face - as you can see in the last photo!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images