CGT question from Newb owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 42 Posts
Default CGT question from Newb owner

Greetings to All,

After a long strange journey that took me from a 993tt to a Ruf RTurbo 500 to a Stradale to a GT2 (with many others along the way!!!), I finally sacked up and bought a CGT. #306, silver/ascot, 2.9K miles, cherry condition, etc.

The car has a partial clearbra (1/2 hood, front bumper & mirrors), but I am worried about rock damage to the doors & fenders.

Is the consensus to clear bra the doors and rear fenders or to use the mesh grills that are available for the openings behind the front wheels? Both???

Any guidance would be most appreciated. Best regards to all!

Rob
Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 183 Posts

Hey Rob,

Congrats on the new ride! You're going to love it.

To answer your question, my car has nothing on the doors or rear fenders and at 3000 miles, I've had nothing happen that would make me want to anything on. I do end up with small debris on the flat area behind the front wheel duct that you describe but no biggie.

I think it depends on how **** you are/are not. I've seen CGTs that have clear bra on the entire car and on a lot of the interior carbon bits too.

If mine came that way, it would have been fine, but I've left it the way it came and have not thought anything of it.

Enjoy safely!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

congrats on your purchase!!! when i had my CGT didnt put any clearbra on!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I covered every inch of the car...and I didn't use Premier!!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I covered the entire car (except the windows,engine cover and wheels). It's "peace of mind" if you drive and park it many different places. And the new film is very clear, so it still looks good with no "orange peel".
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 183 Posts

Bill,

Probably a silly question, but do you still wax/polish the car since it's entirely covered with film?

Originally Posted by Bill S.
I covered the entire car (except the windows,engine cover and wheels). It's "peace of mind" if you drive and park it many different places. And the new film is very clear, so it still looks good with no "orange peel".
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM
DM1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Bill,

Probably a silly question, but do you still wax/polish the car since it's entirely covered with film?

Brian

You are supposed to to protect the film.

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Wolford
Greetings to All,

After a long strange journey that took me from a 993tt to a Ruf RTurbo 500 to a Stradale to a GT2 (with many others along the way!!!), I finally sacked up and bought a CGT. #306, silver/ascot, 2.9K miles, cherry condition, etc.

The car has a partial clearbra (1/2 hood, front bumper & mirrors), but I am worried about rock damage to the doors & fenders.

Is the consensus to clear bra the doors and rear fenders or to use the mesh grills that are available for the openings behind the front wheels? Both???

Any guidance would be most appreciated. Best regards to all!

Rob
Rob, congrats on the purchase. I would at least get the full front end and doors. If you're going to get this done, give Premier (forum sponsors) a ring. They are undoubtely the best in the business and has a new shop in the OC. www.premiermobilegroup.com. I've always stayed clear of the plastic wraps because of all the hack jobs I've seen out there. Let's just say they made me a believer. Hope all works out.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's "peace of mind".
Agreed!!!
Attached Images    
Old 11-04-2009, 02:32 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Bill,

Actually, hardly ever. I wipe it down with Plexus about once per month. But I never leave bugs or bird droppings on for long since they etch the film and you need to fix that with a heat gun. I wash it whenever it's looking dirty.

I've had the film on for almost 2 years and 5K miles. The car looks pretty much the same, except the film on the front bumper is starting to look a little rough from stones if you look very close. The windshield has many small chips. I try not to drive behind anyone too close at higher speeds. I may replace the front bumper film in a few years if it starts to look much worse.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thusly
Agreed!!!

Nice! The film makes me feel better about taking the car out with the guys. I used to really hate coming back from a drive and seeing all the new stone chips. It kind of gives a whole new meaning to covered cars with higher mileage. They will probably look better than non-covered cars with much lower mileage, especially when the old film is removed or replaced.

I covered all of my cars, including the Enzo. On the Enzo, I removed the original film that was nearly 6 years old and the paint was perfect beneath. But the old film took me days to remove! The glue stayed on the car and was very hard to remove without damaging the paint. I had to use adhesive remover with very clean (and many!) microfiber towels.
Attached Images    
Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here I am painstakingly removing the old 6-year film which wasn't applied all that well. You can see where the glue stayed behind, sometimes in much larger areas.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

Here I am painstakingly removing the old 6-year film which wasn't applied all that well. You can see where the glue stayed behind, sometimes in much larger areas.
Bill S.,

Thanks so much for the info and pix.

My Carrera GT has a partial VentureShield kit on the front end, plus here and there on parts of the body where the car throws driving trash. It's done very well. The only time I had to replace a section was on the spoiler face caused by some fused-on smears of track marbles that wouldn't come off the film using cleaners.

I also bought and installed those custom-formed screens (from Rod Crafters?) that fit aft of the front wheels and cover the entrance to the body vent openings. They do a very good job cutting down on the road debris (pine cones, tarred gravel, trash) that used to collect on the door sills after even the shortest jaunt around town.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
Bill S.,
I also bought and installed those custom-formed screens (from Rod Crafters?) that fit aft of the front wheels and cover the entrance to the body vent openings. They do a very good job cutting down on the road debris (pine cones, tarred gravel, trash) that used to collect on the door sills after even the shortest jaunt around town.
I agree. I think that one is essential. My car had that when I bought it. I've heard of the driver and passenger getting hit with rocks without that. And the Enzo has it from the factory.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

I've heard of the driver and passenger getting hit with rocks without that.
I'd forgotten about that. Those gravel chips spit up from the front tires used to hurt as much as June bugs while riding motorcycles

Quick Reply: CGT question from Newb owner