Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT upgradeable to 750-800hp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
HHPorscheTech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT upgradeable to 750-800hp?

Good afternoon fellow Rennlisters,
I have got a customer who wants to make his already awesome cgt into a monster and thought this would be the best place to get some feedback. We are trying to find reputable parts makers/ ECU tuners. Any help would be greatly appreciated...He is looking for 750 to 800hp at the crankshaft. I have seem some exhuasts and ECU tuning but nothing that yields any substantial gains. Has Porsche already taken the supercar to its limits?
Thanks for the suggestions..
Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
themarsman
Racer

Without some type of forced induction those type of number would not be possible.

If he is serious it would require to pull the engine lower the compression, make it stronger and add either a turbo or supercharger.

Here is a guy who I am sure would handle the project:

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/

I am pretty sure the price would be in the six figures though.

If he decides to do it keep us posted as to the progress!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

9ff, edo competiton and some european companies already offer tuning for the CGT and twin turbo kits.

oh lets not forget about gemballa either.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Lots of Euro tuners have talked about power enhancements for the CGT but there is only one who has credible engine dyno proven stuff.

Marketed by Cargraphic engineered by RS Tuning: engine would need shipping to De with a separate container for $$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/...328,3078,3658/
Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
zms325i
Intermediate

The 9ff twin turbo kit is being used in at least 3 cars at the moment. 2 are in the middle east, and one is in Germany. It has proven to be useful, and reliable.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 PM
netburner
Instructor

As far as my infos reach 9ff has only TwinTurbo kits in some GT3 RS, but none in any CGT! They would bring it into a CGT if there is any willing customer (and they have that kit at their website), but no car on the road yet.

If you ask me: 900hp out of this high-reving engine is not doable if it should be for long (and I don't think that your customer will have to replace his engine after 500mls, or will he?). 700, maybe 750 is more likely what is possible within a good long-living engine.

As far as I know Gemballa tried some CGT engines with one or two turbos at their dynos and all exploded after short time, so up to now they didn't built their planned Mirage GTR because of that.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by netburner
...turbos at their dynos and all exploded after short time...
I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to turbocharge that engine.

Why would it blow up? Is the block cracking?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:22 PM
netburner
Instructor

A high reving engine is built for revs, so the pistons and the pistonhead and valves are exactly built for that purpose and the pressures while running.

If you now add a Turbo or Supercharger to that system you have higher pressures (logical, because you add pressure by pumping compressed air into the cylinders). By that the pressures can become to high and specially at high revs it can bring you self-firing fuel/air mixes (like in Diesels) and that will destroy your engine.

So if you really want to add a Turbo (or Supercharger) to a CGT engine, you have to bring in new valves, new pistons and lower the compression and revs. And by doing that you pay much money and could also buy a new engine.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
sweanders
Race Director

So if you really want to add a Turbo (or Supercharger) to a CGT engine, you have to bring in new valves, new pistons and lower the compression and revs. And by doing that you pay much money and could also buy a new engine.
Exactly, just like any other NA to turbo conversion.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 PM
netburner
Instructor

Yes, but if you make a NA to Turbo conversion at, let's say, a Honda Civic, you have only four pistons and 16 valves and you can do that several times, because more than one might have a Turbo Civic. If you do the same with the CGT you have to get 10 specially made pistons and 40 valves and also have to go away from the lovely high reving 10 cylinder sound (because you reduce the revs), so for me there is one final question:

Is all that worth it?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:46 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Is all that worth it?
Horsepower never comes cheap.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT upgradeable to 750-800hp?