Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vralexander...good for you

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
dk996tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately i will be in Spain on business, but Tym Switzer will be there with my car. I am sure you guys are going to have a blast down there. Best of luck with your 996. It is about time that a 996 and 997 officially break the 200+ mph barrier.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by dk996tt
Unfortunately i will be in Spain on business, but Tym Switzer will be there with my car. I am sure you guys are going to have a blast down there. Best of luck with your 996. It is about time that a 996 and 997 officially break the 200+ mph barrier.
Have a great trip! PM me his contact info so I can touch base.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

I had a great conversation with Tym Switzer...what a humble individual! I am looking forward to meeting him in person and definitely would like to see the 997 go. Here is the update:

So far I have the following confirmations for our group to pit together.
1) Me and Tommy Banh with several Supras and a little silver 996tt
2) Eddie Bello 1300hp 964 turbo
3) Todd and the EVOMS gang -several cars (AWAITING CONFIRMATION IF THEY ARE COMING)
4) Bobby - 1200+hp 993turbo
5) Josh from Autograf- Twin Turbo ford GT 1200+hp
6) Tym Switzer with David's car - 997tt, he wants to push massive boost to see where the break point is, so he can build a new motor..lol..should be some fireworks!
7) John Hennessey - I spoke with him the other day while he was in Qatar with a customer. He is coming in on to hang out with us for the event but no car.

I brought out SPEED Channel last year and this year Torque TV (waiting for final confirmation) is coming out along with several Magazines to cover the event. Streetfire.net will be providing footage as well.

Check out their website for more info at www.texasmile.com

Last edited by VRAlexander; 10-15-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
I had a great conversation with Tym Switzer...what a humble individual! I am looking forward to meeting him in person and definitely would like to see the 997 go. Here is the update:

6) Tym Switzer with David's car - 996tt, he wants to push massive boost to see where the break point is, so he can build a new motor..lol..should be some fireworks!...
Don't you mean 997?

Greg A
Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg A
Don't you mean 997?

Greg A
Yes... I stand corrected ... no more Cappuccinos for me!! lol
Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

So far I have the following confirmations for our group to pit together.
1) Me and Tommy Banh with several Supras and a little silver 996tt
2) Eddie Bello 1300hp 964 turbo
3) Todd and the EVOMS gang -several cars (AWAITING CONFIRMATION IF THEY ARE COMING)
4) Bobby - 1200+hp 993turbo
5) Josh from Autograf- Twin Turbo ford GT 1200+hp
6) Tym Switzer with David's car - 997tt, he wants to push massive boost to see where the break point is, so he can build a new motor..lol..should be some fireworks!
7) John Hennessey - I spoke with him the other day while he was in Qatar with a customer. He is coming in on to hang out with us for the event but no car.

I brought out SPEED Channel last year and this year Torque TV (waiting for final confirmation) is coming out along with several Magazines to cover the event. Streetfire.net will be providing footage as well.

Check out their website for more info at www.texasmile.com
Do you have any detailed info on Bobby's 1200 HP 993TT?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bradford
Do you have any detailed info on Bobby's 1200 HP 993TT?

Thanks
He is a good friend...what did you want to know?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

He is a good friend...what did you want to know?
How to get 1200 HP out of a 993 TT? I think most of the people on the 993TT board would like to get the details on the engine build. Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 03:31 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Bradford
How to get 1200 HP out of a 993 TT? I think most of the people on the 993TT board would like to get the details on the engine build. Thanks
Its a 3.8liter with a pair of GT35/40 custom turbos. I will ask Bobby to join Rennlist and answer your question.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Eric,

Thank you for your concern my friend =)
I have been dealing with some family issues and was unable to get online for some time. I am happy to report that the shootout is in Kevin's hands (producer) and that the website is being worked on. We where able to secure Las Vegas Motor speedway for March 2009 as well as a section of Las Vegas blvd for the roll on races. More will be posted on forumwars.com (to be up by end of October). So far we have 208 registered entries. Thank you again -)

Now for the fun stuff.. As many of you know, I have been to the Texas Mile several times and have brought Speed TV and Streetfire to the event. The relation ships turned out priceless and its a win win situation for all parties. Shannon and Jay Matus are of the highest caliber and put on a great show. I am going back on October 25-26th for some competition this time around. The last couple of outings where to get familiar with the event and get involved. This year I am going out as a racer for the fastest car in the mile title. I have been working diligently on two cars that will be attending. One, my 1994 Supra with twin GT40r's and 225shot of NOS is currently at Autobanh Motorsports and Tommy is putting the final touches on her for the event. The second car is my turbo 996. It has gone through a metamorphosis over the past nine months. She is finally ready for a serious title shot at the event and we are definitely going to put the entire 996 community on the top speed map! For one she has had extensive wind tunnel testing and we where able to drop the cd down to .266! Second the weight is down close to 900lb over stock weight and we did the final tune for a 30.65bar map (down from the 40psi max) to get 970rwhp at 105 degree ambient temperature with no fans and cooling in the dyno room. I wanted to simulate the most extreme conditions for making 1000rwhp in high heat (like the weather in Texas during the event). She has plenty of power left in her, however this will be adequate enough to Redline 6th gear (8200rpms) at .987 of a mile. I want to extend a special tank you for Anthony and Joe for the design and build of the weld straps for the cylinder heads on the car. Without your help, I could never run 40psi of boost through that motor! Thank you, thank you and thank you. Todd, great job with the ECU, you are an expensive rocket scientist =) If the conditions are as expected she will make history in October. Below is the final 2.085bar tune which made 970rwhp at 105degree ambient temperature without running any fans or cooling in the dyno room. If you correct this run for 70 degree temp and a cooler motor at sea level, 1008rwhp would have been achieved at the same boost level. She has plenty of power left on the board should we need it, however at this time, this is all the calculations call for to accomplish our goal. Special designed and extremely light weight rims and F1 tires have also been incorporated for the event. Eddie Bello and EVOMS will be with me again. Together I want the entire Porsche community on the map for this top speed run. Thank you again for your concern and I will send you a PM with some info.

Thanks =)

<br>30.65lb of boost for this run at 105degree of ambient heat with no fans or cooling in the dyno room. max boost is for the engine is 40psi.
It's great to hear that you are doing well Alex!!! I started to get a little concerned when I realized that you had not logged on to RL in some time.

I look forward to seeing your future automotive entertainment.=) Happy and safe motoring to you buddy.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Well that was an adventure =) First I want to say thank you to the Supra community for the sportsmanship and respect everyone has for one another. I notice that people may talk **** online but when we all get together its all about helping each other out and making certain the car gets down the track! With that said, here is my recap of the event: I arrived at the track on Friday night with the Supra and my 996 turbo. There where trailers already setup and cars getting prepared. I caught up with old friends and met some new ones. Sean Newsome already setup the BBQ pit and was getting all the food ready for the weekend. Saturday morning I lined up my 996 for a test pass and went 212mph at 21psi (low boost). This was far better then the 203mph i went in Las Vegas at the same boost level. I then turned up the boost to 32psi and went for another pass. At 225mph the PSM came back on and she started to break! WTF???? I coasted through the mile at 208mph. On my next run, the same thing happen, at 225MPH the PSM came on again..rrrrrrgggghhhh frustrating frustrating.. I checked the datalog and could not find any issues. I think it was the VMAX limiter on the car or the slicks...still can not figure it out because she did not do that in Vegas at 238MPH during our testing..I parked her and wanted to get some seat time in the Supra. My first two pass went well, shifting her at 10,400rpm's and she took some time spooling up 5th gear according to Justin. My last pass of the day i turned to boost all the way up to 46psi then launched her off the two step with 10psi of boost. She spun the tires for about 20feet and then dead hooked (I had custom compound slicks manufactured for the tarmac at the mile). The run felt amazing! I powershifted into 5th and she came right up on boost at the half mile marker...then at the 3/4 mile marked with the tach just hitting 10,000rpms she blew coolant all over and started to slide. I wanted to stay in it to cross the line but my right hand automatically reached up and pulled the chute and I went through the mile marked with the chute deployed at 207mph. That would have been the run for me... After some analysis (and Justin telling me the motor is cooked) I was in denial and thought that the only issue was a belt. Boost logic pitted with me and we all started looking for a replacement belt. Since I use the Titan dampener I needed a custom belt. After one hour on the phone RYAN (RTSPRAY) came to the rescue!!!!!!!!!! He pulled the belt off his car and as we where installing it on mine, he noticed that my idler pulled was destroyed too.... so he pulls his for me as well!!!! RYAN YOU ARE THE MAN!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. After we fired the car, Chris and SW came out with a SHUT IT DOWN gesture!! There was a rod knock that could be heard =(..... car was done =(
The next morning, Tommy showed up with Big Red and destroyed the driveshaft during the burnout....car was DOA. I then decided to donate my driveshaft and have him install it on Big Red so he could make his passes. We where here to race so what ever it took to make it happen needed to be done! SW lined up and race 234.5mph righ off the trailer. Everyone was ecstatic!!! I then had a talk with his team and explained that I had custom compound tires made for the event and offered him to swap rims and tires with me and he would go even faster. They where in disbelief at first but then decided to take me up on the offer. They lined up and SW's dead hooked (car even bogged down a bit) and he took off like a sidewinder missile to run just shy of 242MPH!!!! WOW... I had the biggest silly grin on my face and the event was a success to me just seeing that run =) CONGRATS.
Tommy fired up Big Red and lined up to go with a 216mph on lower boost. I offered him the tires as well but he wanted to run the 28inch tall slicks... Over all the event was a big success and I enjoyed every minute with old friends and new ones. Thanks guys =)

Here are some photos:

Ready to go from Autobanh:

My turbo also ready:

Me just after the second pass with the 996:

The last look before she blew:

RYAN to the rescue:

My broken pulley:

Tommy installing my driveshaft on Big Red:

SW's car with my rims and tires before the 241MPH RUN:
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update!

I missed Sunday, so I was very eager to hear about the results. 241 mph is astonishing! Good for you in being such a good sport in the competition!

I enjoyed speaking with you once again at the event.

Best,
Tyler
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Alex,
Conrats again on the fastest water cooled Porsche at the mile. That Supra looks cleeeeeean! Looking forward to seeing it run!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
Alex,
Conrats again on the fastest water cooled Porsche at the mile. That Supra looks cleeeeeean! Looking forward to seeing it run!
Thanks Luis....we figured out the 225MPH PSM issue =)
As for the mile, the amount of data we gathered from the D-Box, AX-22 and ECU through the mile is priceless. The aerodynamic changes that where made in the wind tunnel paid off big time! I was able to pull completely out of the throttle at 212mph and get on the brakes immediately WITHOUT upsetting the car's suspension and dynamic stability! If I have an opportunity to take her back in March, I will and I will be running 35psi =)
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex
forumwars.com is in Arabic only, even when you click on the English button.
Does that mean the English speaking are SOL?

Quick Reply: vralexander...good for you