Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Prices - Higher Miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
ldl01
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT Prices - Higher Miles

Desperately on the lookout for a CGT. I get the impression that prices have firmed up a little over the past few months from what I see on eBay. Being a buyer from *bonny* Scotland I'll still hopefully benefit from the strong cable exchange rate

Anyway, I'm looking to pay $300k, or as near possible to it. A higher mileage I can probably live with (I intend to put some miles on the car myself, it's definitely going to be no garage queen!) Ideally black or... well I'm a big fan of yellow.

I'm of the opinion - although I stand to be corrected - that generally it's best to buy one from a later model year after some of the almost inevitable technical / manufacturing problems have been ironed out. So a higher miles 2005 would be just the job.

Apologies for posting again on this whole 'I want a cheap CGT' thing, but any hints or contacts would be v. much appreciated.... Thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, for an additional 60-80k you can pick up one of the last untitled 05s still sitting in showrooms... I believe manhattan motorcars in NYC still has one or two.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:47 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cgt

don't think there are any untitled cars left
Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC123
don't think there are any untitled cars left
you are correct, and there have been none available for quite a while.

Looking for a CGTwith no stories at $300K is like looking for last year's snow!

Incidentally, the guys accross the pond were quite successful in putting a floor under CGT prices in the US, and creating a bit of envy at the same time.

However, those days are (long) gone. but with the healthy exchange rate, right now, any US price you pay has got to be bargain basement compared to the UK.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

300k for clean ones no way especially black. buddy can't even find a black one for 400k.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 AM
dk996tt
Instructor

i had to bite the bullet when i purchased mine. i could have bought one last winter for 330K - 340K. ended up paying substantially more about one month ago. good thing you will get it relatively cheap due to the exchange rate.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:48 AM
GBGT
Advanced

The CGT market in the last 6 months has steadily increased. A gloss black, yellow, or paint to sample car will not sell for under $400k. If it has low low miles than expect the mid 4's. A silver, basalt, grey, or red car with miles will go for the middle 3's and up.

This is pretty much what my research has suggested from my personal experience in the last couple of months.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that you will find that color doesn't hold the premium, it (premium) is more related to miles and warranty.

At least that is how it was when I did my research over a period of years, the popular colors were "popular" for a reason.

Anybody trying to sell the car for a premium, based on color, is looking for that special customer (needle in the haystack).

The only appeal of a special color is preference, not value.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
josh_o
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Colm,

I have to disagree with you on the color / value equation. Color like condition, model year, miles, in service date all have an impact on value. Black cars fetch more than silver cars for example. Call any Porsche dealer or broker in the country and they will tell you the same. And hard data supports this thesis. Its not hard to accumulate actual trade data through auction results or eBay completed listings. It is what it is. And its no different with F50s or Enzos for example. Remember, paint to sample wasn't offered until the '05 model year. The "popular" colors were all that was available for the first model year of production.

Josh
Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd agree black cars certainly atract a premium due to their low number compared to silver. You'll be hard pushed to buy a CGT stateside for $300 USD unless it's either less than 100%, has done a high mileage or is a seller that needs to get out quick.

I agree with your sentements, I bought a silver with dark grey 7k mile CGT in December last year for a bit less than $300 and have added over 5k miles since it arrived in the UK in January.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
josh_o
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know of a '04 Basalt / Natural Grey with approximately 7.5K miles that's had its clutch replaced twice and its engine replaced once under warranty that is available for $320K. PM me if interested.

BTW, on the color topic. A local Bay Area dealer, Silicon Valley Auto Group, had two '05s with similar miles / condition available about 6 months ago. One was Black / Black and one was Fayence / Ascot. Call them up and ask them if color affects value LOL!

Josh
Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you want to introduce "statistics" into the argument:

Any wholesaler, Dealer, or used car market person will tell you that the desired "used" cars are black and silver. That is not my "fact "just a market fact.

By the way, as an aside and compliment, I love your color. I even flew across country to try and buy one, knowing that any premium paid I would have paid for it was preference not value.

As a further aside, it is relatively easy to paint a CGT any color you want, because of all the bolt on bits. It could also be relatively expensive.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
josh_o
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Colm! Did you look at the Florida or Texas example?? BtW, did you know there is a Pearl White CGT in the Bay Area?

I took my car out of the argument because I did pay a premium based on preference not value. No doubt I won't recoup that premium.

However I still do believe, based on hard data and lots of research that color does have an affect on value. I think my SVAG example illustrates the point?

Hope all is well and that I see you around soon.

Josh
Old 08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
ldl01
2nd Gear

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Colour definitely does have quite an effect on saleability / price (I'm still trying to sell my red 987 Boxster S after many months, although I think it looks pretty damn distinctive compared to all the Seal Greys and Arctic Silvers out there, including my silver '99 996)

Interesting to note the chat about Fayence. Dunno if there has been any chat about this beforehand, but If any of you happen to pick up the UK car mag 'Evo', you'll see a guy is running a long-term test CGT. He actually changed the colour TO yellow. I believe it was silver beforehand. Colm's point about ease of painting is spot on - it was apparently very easy to do.

TBH Fayence would probably be my ideal (you know my penchant for the primaries re the boxster!!) So if I can get one at a good price.... Anyway, thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Louis
Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Interesting to note the chat about Fayence. Dunno if there has been any chat about this beforehand, but If any of you happen to pick up the UK car mag 'Evo', you'll see a guy is running a long-term test CGT. He actually changed the colour TO yellow. I believe it was silver beforehand. Colm's point about ease of painting is spot on - it was apparently very easy to do.
Indeed. And the cost was around £15,000 or $30,000. The work was done by a Lamborghini workshop (High Wycombe). Not inexpensive, but not outrageous either.

Kind regards

Steve

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Prices - Higher Miles