Sponsored by:

Should a GT owner get a GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:13 AM
fayence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should a GT owner get a GT3RS?

I really enjoy my GT on the track (who wouldn't), and I have a deposit on a GT3RS, but I can't help wonder why own a GT3RS when I can just track the GT. I'd love to hear some opinions.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Guessing your objectives, I'd suggest the GT3RS isn't really the model you should be considering. I'd suggest a 997 Cup and find a shop capable of helping you get it set up and helping you improve your driving skills.
I have to imagine a season at the track in a Cup car will amount to a lot more than rthe elatively narrow set of options presented by a GT at the track.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:11 AM
DMin
Instructor

From what the webforums and other somewhat dubious sources are stating about the RS, I am not sure it'll be worth the extra $$ in the U.S./NA spec. The advantages of the EU version is the roll cage, the CGT carbon racing seats, perspex rear window and they won't be making it to our shores due to U.S. safety regs.

IMO better to get a GT3 and add your favorite bits of the RS. I'm awaiting mine, although I doubt I'll add much to it.

Personally, I think you might be more entertained by getting a Radical SR3/4 at the track. Also should be cheaper to run.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DMin
From what the webforums and other somewhat dubious sources are stating about the RS, I am not sure it'll be worth the extra $$ in the U.S./NA spec. The advantages of the EU version is the roll cage, the CGT carbon racing seats, perspex rear window and they won't be making it to our shores due to U.S. safety regs.

IMO better to get a GT3 and add your favorite bits of the RS. I'm awaiting mine, although I doubt I'll add much to it.

Personally, I think you might be more entertained by getting a Radical SR3/4 at the track. Also should be cheaper to run.
The Radical is not cheap to run. It's kind of cheap to buy, but it's a motorcycle power train that really needs constant attention and the hours between refreshes makes it notably expensive assuming nothing goes wrong. Plus, its size and weight make it a liability at HDPEs or general track days surrounded by 3000lb machines where you're below line of sight. etc. etc.

While I agree with the general idea of getting a GT3 now and making it what you will, the RS is starting to look like good value for money. Of course, it's hard to say until we know the spec and the price ... : )

From what little I hear from reliable sources and by reading some very consistently correct tipsters, the RS will be good value. As a widebody with additional weight-saving measures -- that will fit US DOT regulations -- to offset the extra girth, the price premium over the "normal" GT3 is expected to be less than the premium of a C4S over a C2S. It will have the facility to run wider rear track and substantially wider rubber -- and be a lot closer to the spec of the race variants.

Whatever else makes the US spec list, who can say? It will be kind of sad to see such a castrated RS in the US compared to the potency of the Euro model and if it shows up with a "mandatory option" sunroof, Porsche will be a laughing stock for letting their US idiot cousins make the decisions.

I hope (against hope) that PCNA will "grow some" and do the the whole job, which means doing whatever it takes to deliver a 50 State legal RS. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

I'm still of the opinion that a 997 Cup car is a great choice for anyone with the wallet. And pay someone to tow it to the track, so you can drive their in a GT3 or get more hours on your chopper licence ...

Last edited by Carrera GT; 07-17-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
DMin
Instructor

Your point about the RS is well taken. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the final spec sheet reads like. I am on the list for the GT3, but as I have not had a call for a build order as of yet, I would assume that it is going to be more like a Winter delivery.

Perhaps that wil give me enough time to see what the RS is all about and to see if it will be worth the extra wait and $$.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:52 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with GT. If you think you want a track car, do yourself a favor and rent a cup car for a day. Cup cars are awesome and that will likely change your perspective on tracking a street car, no matter how evolved it is.

Running a Radical is significantly cheaper than running a cup car. Tires are cheaper, maintenance is somewhat easier, and engine work is like 1/5th the price of a cup engine. However, I would not recommend running a Radical on a track shared with some large / heavy street cars. I have done it, got into many close calls and now believe it is not safe for the person in the lighter open cockpit car.

AW
Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
fayence
Instructor

How does one go about getting a cup car? Is that through a dealer or something else?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

My family and I will be in San Diego in a week or so from Charlotte NC. I would be glad to let you rent my Cup Car for a day to see how you like it.

If you want a car for the track, forget the street GT3 or GT3 RS and get a cup car. A real cup car is more fun, faster, and much more safe.

There may be a combo club race / DE later this year and perhaps I could show you the ropes in exchange for taking me and my 6 year old porsche fanatical son for a slow ride in the Carrera GT.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fayence
How does one go about getting a cup car? Is that through a dealer or something else?
porsche motorsports na
3203 south shannon street
santa ana, ca 92704
racing car sales
Vera Frank
Tel: (714) 546-6939 Extension 18
Fax: (714) 957-1386
vera@porschemotorsport.com

porschemotorsports.com racing cars
fayence remember cup cars are not street legal

sounds like a nice offer from rsrracer!

jeff
Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I would look for a used 996 GT3 Cup to get started, then move up to a 997 Cup.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 PM
fayence
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
My family and I will be in San Diego in a week or so from Charlotte NC. I would be glad to let you rent my Cup Car for a day to see how you like it.

If you want a car for the track, forget the street GT3 or GT3 RS and get a cup car. A real cup car is more fun, faster, and much more safe.

There may be a combo club race / DE later this year and perhaps I could show you the ropes in exchange for taking me and my 6 year old porsche fanatical son for a slow ride in the Carrera GT.
You bring your cup car along when you travel with family?!

Next week probably won't work, but 'showing me the ropes' in exchange for taking you guys on a ride sounds fine. I'll send you a private message and we can exchange emails.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:50 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ariel Atom or Ford Spec racer if you want all the fun you can (or can't) handle.

Radicals are fast, but no faster than an Atom and much more fragile especially in the drivetrain.

A Spec Ford is about 50K and will give you an F1 sensation for very little money to buy or maintain. the fun/money ratio of this car is very high. Several of us at the track club will be buying them this year and we will be starting a League.

Of course, if you have money to burn, there's always the real deal available.

Your C-GT is of course in a League of it's own and a very special ride. But it takes very special talent to drive it to its limit. Plus it take a very special wallet to fix it if you twist it at the track.

Quick Reply: Should a GT owner get a GT3RS?