Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or that someone takes her out
Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don’t think the famous McDonalds lawsuit is as simple as you make it Bob. It was my understanding that the restaurant in question deliberately increased the temperature of their coffee over “normal” serving temperature. By doing so, customers would be less likely (because it was too hot to drink) to take advantage of the free refills policy in effect while at the restaurant eating their meal.

http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

All we need is change the attorney compensation formula to either each side pays its own, or loser pays. Then, a lot of the incentive is gone.
It would be ironic if the winning attorney used his fees to buy a CGT. AS
Old 02-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The complaint addressed the waiver issue and I can summarize the allegations and theory behind getting around the waiver. Bear in mind the passengers family has filed suit against Ben's estate and others and that Ben's family is a defendant not plaintiff.

The essence of getting around the waiver in the complaint is as follows:
"Keaton had been warned that his Porsche was not handling correctly and willfully invited Corey Rudl to be a passenger without informing him of the danger"

"Keaton also concealed the fact that that he had recently been involved in an incident with the Porsche in which he lost control over it"

"Scott Flavell an organizer of the event was also aware of keaton's reckless driving and recent handling problems of his Porsche but concealed the danger from Corey Rudl"

"SD Ferrai owners club allowed the track to be set up in violation of racetrack standards and concealed the fact from defendants customers"

The theory is that by these alleged overt concealments and alleged willful failure to disclose Corey couldn't make a knowing waiver and therefore the waiver is not valid. They also alleged gross acts of misconduct and negligence which would if proven true invalidate the waiver.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Quam
The complaint addressed the waiver issue and I can summarize the allegations and theory behind getting around the waiver. Bear in mind the passengers family has filed suit against Ben's estate and others and that Ben's family is a defendant not plaintiff.

The essence of getting around the waiver in the complaint is as follows:
"Keaton had been warned that his Porsche was not handling correctly and willfully invited Corey Rudl to be a passenger without informing him of the danger"

"Keaton also concealed the fact that that he had recently been involved in an incident with the Porsche in which he lost control over it"

"Scott Flavell an organizer of the event was also aware of keaton's reckless driving and recent handling problems of his Porsche but concealed the danger from Corey Rudl"

"SD Ferrai owners club allowed the track to be set up in violation of racetrack standards and concealed the fact from defendants customers"

The theory is that by these alleged overt concealments and alleged willful failure to disclose Corey couldn't make a knowing waiver and therefore the waiver is not valid. They also alleged gross acts of misconduct and negligence which would if proven true invalidate the waiver.

This ****e is Ridiculous. I hate to see this. WTF was Scott Flavell to do? Stand up with a loadspeaker, and say "EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM KEATON AND THE CGT!"

*sigh* I seriously hope this gets shot down.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:40 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can sign all the waivers you want...but you can't waive negligence. Be interesting to see where this ends up.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
a distinct possibility
would be even worse if porsche's funds were used to purchase an enzo
Hehehe, wouldn't that be poetic justice.

For those of you not aware that Les is also an attorney, I suggest you pay attention to what he writes. Very good stuff!

Les time to get back into the saddle.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

interesting....
Hypothetically, if the wife now has to provide for her family she should be compensated in some way, but isn't that what life insurance is for?
This is just greed.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Les - thanks for the info. Please, share what you learn with us.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Les Quam
Pro

JBH,
I think it was I who played this out in public not Nick? I am the one who found the complaint and discussed the details on these forums.

Sometimes it is good to view things from anothers standpoint? Let's use Nick as an example.
He is at the track the day his close friend Ben is killed.

He then attends Ben's funeral and possibly is involved when the news was broken to Ben's wife about the crash.

He then works with a devasted family to help recover as much as possible for Ben's car from the insurance company and works with them with other estate details. I remember Ben leased his CGT so that recovery must have been very difficult with the current depressed market for CGTs.

I am aware of what Nick recovered for Ben's family in regard to the CGT and it was VERY fair. Really really fair.

He then successfully represents Ben's family in a very difficult and pressure packed negotation with the insurance company( because the down side is huge) to get them on board with indemnification.

Nick must at some point break the news to Ben's family that Ben is being blamed for the crash and death of his passenger and that a judgement could exceed the families insurance coverage limits and bankrupt Ben's family.

He must also tell Ben's widow that she will have to relive this crash for the next several years during this litigation and that her husbands name will be dragged through the mud as a reckless and irresponsible person instead of the beautiful and caring person he was.

Each and every time he makes contact with Ben's family must be very painful and bring back terrible memories of the crash for him as he watches Ben's family endure the crash and now being named as a defendant in a high dollar lawsuit against a powerhouse experienced attorney who has already brought Porsche to it's knee's once before.

I honestly fail to see where Nick gets ANY pleasure out of this lawsuit as he helps Ben's family through this process for the next few years. Geeeeez.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys... it's the 98% rule. 98% of the worlds population don't have sense enough to come in out of the rain. This is sad state of affairs...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
You might note from Les' description, he sticks to statements of fact. On the otherhand, Nick you seem to take some kind of perverse enjoyment from this lawsuit. I don't understand the attitude, I dont understand why you want to play this out in a public forum and it really makes you look...well...very amateurish.

If you are going to offer your professional opinions, at least try to act like a professional.
Icon made the joke and I responded to it i.e. use the money from Porsche to by a Enzo.

The last thing I get from this lawsuit is pleasure. As Les pointed out, this has been a very traumatic experience for all of us involved in the case. I have NOT recommeded an action against Porsche to Ben's widow. However, if it ever came down to Ben's family or Porsche, rest assured I will dump all over Porsche. Fortunately, we are no where near that stage.

BTW, ALL of my arguments regarding whether there is a case against Porsche are merely illustrative. Also, I am trying to impress upon you all that until the facts are all in DON'T prejudge the case. Most are thinking with their heart and not their mind. To excoriate any Plaintiff for starting a suit without knowing the merits is being closed minded.

I suspect the income level of the boards participants is fairly high. You all did not get to this point by putting your head in the sand.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Nick,
On a much more pleasant subject do you know where any nice1966 through 1969 275 GTB/4s are for sale with a verifiable owner history? I thought perhaps in your Ferrari circle of friends if you come upon one you could let me know? Or if you know of an honest classic Ferrari dealer or broker? I have heard some horror stories on the classic Ferrari dealers?

You know the 275 GTB series that I am referring to? It is the Ferrari that doesn't do all the driving work for you and rewards you when you do a nice job of driving it as opposed to the ones designed today like the 430 paddle shift series for Grandmothers and soccer moms?

I thought I would get us back on track with some good old fashioned Ferrari 430 paddle shift Nick bashing.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:04 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I think Les does a perfect job of viewing Ben's family's position through compassionate eyes. The whole thing is horrible, there's no avoiding that truth, and the allegations against Ben in the complaint sicken me.

Nick, I can prejudge the case because I think race track waivers should be upheld against all but the most extreme claims - intentional misconduct, for example. Even if the CGT truly is a handful of a car, beyond the abilities of amateur drivers - LOTS of cars, street and track, are difficult to drive at or near the limit - the 360 CS and C have in my experience a wicked tendency towards oversteer that could hurt you. One could buy an ex-Champ Car and race it in BOSS. A GT2 must demand care on track. And so on. A man, it's true, simply has to know his limits.

It is essential in my view, for the future of motorsports that claims like the one presented by Mr. Rudl's (sp?) estate virtually always fail to defeat the track and other waivers. Racing and performance driving are not for everyone, and the reactions of some drivers to wrecks and even mechanical failures make me think that we have too many participants who just don't get it. Racing in particular, offers up some really, really bad days - everyone who races for very long knows this, I could tell you a few stories - and you have to be able to survive them.

Beyond racing, it may be necessary for the future of performance cars, at least as I love them, that such claims fail altogether. I recently bought an F40 - truly an easy car to kill oneself in, no? Is it Ferrari's fault if I can't manage all that boost? I have an F430, Nick, like you - now, there's a car that let's an amateur drive well over his head, covering many mistakes. The Gallardo, with its awd, also covers newbie mistakes and allows relatively inexperienced drivers to be heros. Is it Ferrari's or Lambo's fault if someone hurts himself in one of these fantastic machines? One consequence of the various driver aids you favor is that they permit the unseasoned driver to go even faster, raising the stakes when the inevitable occurs, and the car's limits are exceeded.

So Nick, you have to expect fierce and bitter opposition from me and perhaps some of your other fellow enthusiasts to the assumptions underlying the suit that has been filed.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Les Quam
Pro

JBH,
I just read your post and I don't think I have ever said Nick was appropriate or didn't enjoy coming onto this Porsche forum and start an electronic riot among us all. But I see that as just like you say fanning the flames for fun.

It seems to me when we are discussing Ben, his memory and the continuing ordeal Ben's family is going to have to endure with this lawsuit we should be clear on our facts and acknowledge that when Nick is not inciting a riot on this forum that he has really honored Ben's memory and friendship by sticking with his family after Ben's death and helping them in a real and tangible way.

I can overlook his blind ,stupid and ridiculous devotion to his soccer mom series 430 Ferrari when he goes out in the real world and helps Ben's family in such an important and meaningful way. Not to mention his stubborn failure to acknowledge that the 360 series was a unstable tail happy piece of rolling automotive garbage as stated by everyone who ever drove one on a track.

Quick Reply: CGT lawsuit filed.