Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT tries to lose a vette...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roberga: If you ever get the notion to "run" one of those Honds'a, just know that you will more than likely have to call him a tow truck when you are finished. 500-600hp in one of those engines just doesn't survive long!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:00 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being a track rat, there is nothing that will draw me into a freeway challenge. It is boring and a poor decision in so many ways.
The only type that would be tempting is a back road with a hairpin. A freind of mine did it in a boxterS..... the honda forgot to buy bigger brakes :-)
Still, not enough thrill when I have two great tracks near by.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Did the Zo6 really think he could challenge a CGT? I have also driven z06 up to 145 mph,
and ridden in a CGT (about 600 miles. The testosterone laced Zo6 guys are clearly
dillusional. My 993 twin turbo can beat z06 on all formats except tight autocross
course. I know this from experience. Sidenote, there are very few roads i have seen
that would be more dangerous than the one they were on for testing any limits!
thanks for showing us anyway...
Old 06-17-2005, 05:42 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by max_Benzo
Hey, don't kill the messenger now. I just brought it like i saw it. It's nice to know that I have started on a good foot here. But seriously now, the CGT driver did get on it (first part and end part, from what we can hear) and most likely didn't feel capable with his car and backed off, try not to get too defensive on this part but maybe the guy got outdriven and not the car. Good use of judgement would have been to use the turnouts available in the beginning and let the vette by but no, he probably thought, "easy kill" and hopped on it. So from this we can conclude that he was no better than the vette in terms of driver mentality. Now as far as the excuses go the "he probably..." or "in the hypothetical event of..", this is no better than the lame mustang excuses one gets, "thats got a turbo, it'll smoke me", or "I can't launch, my clutch slips and plus you got 4 wheel drive". So stop saying waste of a thread when i'm just trying to contribute, and sorry to make some of you butthurt, just sharing some porsche stuff i encountered today.
You are a troll, you are just looking to start trouble. I own a Carrera GT and have driven a Z06 quite a bit and can tell you that if the CGT wanted to pull away from the Z06 it wouldn't of been a problem. I actually watched the video again and could see in no instance where the CGT tried to pull away from the Z06, believe me if he would of put the car into its powerband and got on the car it would of sounded completely different and the wing would of extended.

I think the CGT driver used great restraint and I hope I would of done the same thing.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Quadry
Instructor

This is so stupid. I would have been worried that the two idiots would rearend me. I cannot believe someone would actually think that a Chevy could run with a CGT. Some people need to wake up and get out of the trailer park.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Lizard1
Racer

that second video of the F1 type car is - WOW! Now I know what I must look like when I get on I-85 here in Atlanta
Old 06-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

1. The two guys in the Chevette are senseless, classless, immature idiots to say the least. One hard brake by the CGT and those two knuckle heads woild have ruined his CGT and lost the remaining 6 teeth the vette drivers had left in the process.
2. The person that posted the video here must be a relative to the knuckle heads. He also has no idea of what a CGT sounds like or what it is capable of when it is reved over 5,000 RPM's, which it never did.
3. I commend the CGT pilot for being mature and intelligent enough not to be provoked by some tailgaters, realizing he had nothing to prove on a 35 mph road. BRAVO!!!

Last edited by Polar Peter; 06-18-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:03 AM
max_Benzo
3rd Gear

Haha you guys are too funny, more specifically the ones that are losing sleep over this. I have had my instances with them at Leguna Seca and know what they can do I don't doubt them one bit. But whats most funny is that the chevy could have very well been a 10 second car and been taking it easy but I'm not into the whole hypothetical thing. "IF....then" which is exactly what i'm talking about with the lame mustang excuses, just because you have the car doesn't mean you can drive it. No more arguing with me because I give up to incorrigible people, i'm not a troll just an avid car fan regardless of make. In regards to "Tailgating" perhaps you don't know how to apply this word to real life, no tailgating occured in the video and we can see a safe distance from both vehicles. Now I hope you dont mean wrong when talking about running over kids or running up poles because that shouldn't be wished upon anyone. Anyways, most of all my "chevette" friends can run laps around most of the people here including me, and respect is given where respect is due. Now if you guys want to prove any of the statements made above, then send a message my way and something can be arrangednext time your in the bay area. Next time i'll call the thread" CGT toys with a vette" to better suit your guys' liking, seeing how it's ok for porsches to engage in spirited driving but not anybody else because they are childish/ricer. Thanks to the people actually showing restraint here and being smarter then trying to make attacks at me ...and I thought that supercar guys had nothing to prove, silly me.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:14 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

That site has some pretty cool videos on it. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:29 AM
RobNL
Instructor

Next time i'll call the thread" CGT toys with a vette" to better suit your guys' liking, seeing how it's ok for porsches to engage in spirited driving but not anybody else because they are childish/ricer.
Hmm, do you mean that driving 35MPH in the US is called spirited driving? I'll ask my granny to take it slower next time she drives 75MPH.

BTW, to suit my liking, just name the thread as it is, nothing more, nothing less. Why exaggerate or telling stories other than they are?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:37 AM
ylshih
Advanced

Default Overly presumptive statements

[QUOTE=max_Benzo]In the mountains some1 tries to lose the zo6 but fails to do so, so owns up to it and lets the faster driver by .Guy must have been

PS #1 - CGT driver tried to lose the z06

Can't really tell that the CGT wanted to "lose" the z06. I've gone way faster in a 996TT on such roads (in way less traffic) and the CGT doesn't even come close in the video.

PS #2 - lets the "faster" driver by

The CGT certainly let the Z06 by, but it's not obvious that the Z06 is the "faster"="better" driver, only the driver that wants to GO faster. I've let a "faster" driver by and found the driver wrapped around a tree 2 miles later.

PS #3 - guy must have been pissed

We don't know what the CGT driver felt. If it was me, it would have been zilch. When I want to drive fast, I drive fast, when I don't, I don't. I drive a nice car for my pleasure, not to prove my car is better or I'm a better driver. I know there are better cars than mine (Enzo>CGT>996TT in most tests). I know there are better drivers than me. If I let someone by, it's because they want to drive faster than I want to drive at that moment. So let them have their fun, if they ride my tail, they'll just worry and aggravate me and ruin my fun. So not worth it.

You may not feel that you're trolling, but your presumptions reveal a lot about your attitudes as a driver.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Denstoyz
Advanced

I don't even remember there being a straightaway in that viddy! Looked to me like it was mostly slow curves and 99% of the time the CGT was behind someone!

I have seen a lot of race videos with all types of cars including vettes & stangs (I have owned 2 vettes and currently have a pretty souped up saleen now) and know that any car can get muscled up enough to be a 10 second car and could probably even run with a CGT...BUT..... that was no race video! I would have loved to see the 2 on a freeway, give 3 honks and go! Going around curves stuck behind traffic on video looks to me like a Z06 driver admiring the CGT IMO and decided to get video footage!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

In the mountains some1 tries to lose the zo6 but fails to do so, so owns up to it and lets the faster driver by .Guy must have been

Click here to see Video
The CGT was at high revvs because you can hear the shrieking sound it makes when it is under full throttle. As to whether an unmodified Z06 can stay with a CGT; highly unlikely. But I know of a modified Z06 and Viper which would have no difficulty in doing so.

Regarding the chase, on that road I agree it was stupid. However, why all the animus against the poster? My God Porsche's as well as other European sport cars get beat everyday by a variety of cars. Why does he have to be personally attacked?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
speedfreak2005
8th Gear

Default Can't make any assumptions at all from that video

When there are SUV's in front of you doing 35mph on a winding road with no visibility, it's unwise to speed.
This particular Vette/CGT video told me absolutely nothing about the ability of either car or driver. I'm not a big fan of the CGT's lack of classic Porsche curves but there's no doubt that it's performance/handling is in a completely higher class than a Vette.

The person, who posted this video was trying to get a reaction from you guys and it seemed to work.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:20 PM
speedfreak2005
8th Gear

Nick,
You are no better than the instigating clown who posted the video, there's no way in hell that the CGT was "under full throttle". Get real!

Quick Reply: CGT tries to lose a vette...