Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT tries to lose a vette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 AM
martini928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that I can call here STUPID is this VS. thing - everything else is just plainly not interesting. If I would go in what ever car and someone would follow me so clearly wanting to pass me - I would be polite and let him buy. No rush in this video - nothing - plainly boring. Only intresting thing is the nice *** of CGT :-)
Old 07-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheStig
he probably has something else larger and isn't trying to prove anything unlike Mr. ZO6 in that vid.

Andy,

VERY NICE avatar!!! Who is she???

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 07-15-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Seric
Pro

Wow, where to start?

I heard a wise man say once about his Porsche, "When I drive this car, I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I can drive fast if I want, or I can drive at normal speeds. Just because I "can" drive fast on public roads, doesn't mean I care to."

The guys in the Vette, Sorry if I misquote a bit

"This isn't a normal Vette dude" Great, wanna cookie?

"Is that a woman driving?" WOW, don't let my girlfriend hear you say that.

Now onto another topic, straght line speed VS. actual road racing, as mentioned soo often in this thread. Drag racing is such a waste of time if you aren't running a top fuel car. It's sad that that's the measuring stick most guys use to assess the prowess of a car. Any moron can mash the gas and go 1320 ft. I guess in the end, that's all most guys can do?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:02 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes skill to drag race and it is not as simple as to mash the gas which makes me believe that you have never done it. If you make ignorant statements like that it is a given that your abilities to turn a steering wheel are poor.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:50 PM
special tool
Banned

The power to weight ratio of my car is about the same as the Carrera, but I have quite a bit more torque - I stomp on 405 ZO6's at LRP like they are tied to a rock. The guy driving the Vette is a rookie who has never driven a fast car. Simple as that. Never mind the handling thing - straight line, the Vette would be crushed into dust.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Seric
Pro

Originally Posted by pole position
It takes skill to drag race and it is not as simple as to mash the gas which makes me believe that you have never done it. If you make ignorant statements like that it is a given that your abilities to turn a steering wheel are poor.
What skill? Getting a good launch and shifting at the right points? I have drag raced and it's not that hard. Drag racing is more car than driver, which is the opposite of road racing/auto crossing. I bet you I can get any chimp off the street and teach them how to drag race in far less time than teaching them how to hit lines, apex cornering, braking, un-winding out of a corner, drafting, passing...the list goes on.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're both right, I ran a car in the NHRA at a national level (S/G, S/S) for ten years, at that level, the cars are all very similar and driver ability is key, if you want to win. The chimps, as you put it, are usually easy first round meat, later on it's a little tougher to win consistantly. Roadracing is totally different and I think demands alot more driver input/ability. It's really comparing apples and oranges.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

It looked like the CGT couldn't get out of his way quick enough.Very sensible.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So, the CGT owner was beat and outdriven by a Z06 on a two-lane 35 mph mountain road with traffic and minivans all over the place? Ok.

One mash of the brakes and the CGTs rear bumper is toast. Kudos to the Carrera for exercising caution and restraint while being constantly tailgated by some chaps in a Z06.

The Z06 is a mighty fine ride, but the driver makes the machine and this vid proves absolutely nothing with respect to performance or driving skill in comparison to a CGT.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 AM
gt3skea
Instructor

amen roberga - same happens to me everytime i take my gt3 on a public rd, i pull over worried they are going to drop the joint and run into the back of me while fumbling with a camera to post some ridiculous vid... don't think i would've left them behind me as long as the cgt in my car, even less with a cgt.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Mike@Evo
2nd Gear

Waste of a thread....... NEXT
Old 07-29-2005, 05:25 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by max_Benzo
In the mountains some1 tries to lose the zo6 but fails to do so, so owns up to it and lets the faster driver by .Guy must have been

Click here to see Video
More like lets the stupid driver by....that video tells nothing about the CGT drivers intensity other than he blatantly hit the brakes to let the moron in the POS vette by to avoid getting rear ended if god forbid the CGT hit the brakes anything more than 30% force, lol.

PS: If you EVER try comparing a corvette to a CGT (or any higher line Porsche) the discussion will turn into this

Last edited by 911Carrera3.6; 07-29-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:26 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"What skill? Getting a good launch and shifting at the right points? I have drag raced and it's not that hard. Drag racing is more car than driver, which is the opposite of road racing/auto crossing. I bet you I can get any chimp off the street and teach them how to drag race in far less time than teaching them how to hit lines, apex cornering, braking, un-winding out of a corner, drafting, passing...the list goes on."

Drag racing involves a lot of driver skill.

Almost every race between comparable cars is won at the line by the guy with the best launch and best RT. If you do lose after launch to a comparable car it's because the other guy is a better flat shifter than you with a better feel when to shift.

I run into the idiots frequently that think it's just 'mash and go'. It's not.

Ask my brother. I spanked his 1993 Supercharged mustang GT 5 speed in my normally Aspirated 1991 5speed Mitsubishi Eclipse many years ago precisely because he thought he could just mash it and go. His car had well over 200 more HP than my car, but he couldn't launch to save his life, and i had the launch in my eclipse down pat.

I had another friend when i was in tech school that had a supercharged 1990 Z28 5spd with well over 400hp. His first time to the track he ran a 13.5, but within six months of regular running at the strip he had the same exact car running low 12s, with no changes other than his driving skill.

I've outdriven many cars that were a lot faster than me in drag races because i had better RT and launch technique.

Is road racing harder? Obviously, but that does not mean that drag racing requires no skill. It does.

Last edited by m21sniper; 07-31-2005 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:30 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by m21sniper
Is road racing harder? Obviously, but that does not mean that drag racing requires no skill. It does.
Drag racing = requires "some* skill

Road racing = requires "A LOT" of skill

It's comparing apples to oranges....or more like comparing chicken salad to chicken ***** LOL (road racing to drag racing respectively...driver skill wise)
Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 PM
m21sniper
Banned

OK tough guy(in best DiNiro voice), we'll line you up next to Ronnie Sox or John Force in equally prepared cars so you can see just how much skill is required.

Seriously, i agree that road racing is more skill intensive, but drag racing DEFINITELY requires skill to be competitive. You look at the various NHRA racing classes and very little HP separates the top car from the worst car in any given class. It's all about the driver.

Quick Reply: CGT tries to lose a vette...